Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory 9mm major 115 ammo

Novock

I have been loading 9mm major with Hodgdon HS6 and 115's pushing FMJ bullets around 1500fps and love the feel of the ammo in my blaster. Between the cost of components and all the time wrapped up in the reloading, prep, pickup and QC I figure I pay a healthy price per round (time is money). I approached a local ammo company about the possibility of having them load my 30k 9mm for the year and they let me know they would be happy to load factory new (not reloaded brass) 9mm major ammo (115's and 124's) to my specs if there was a bigger market for this specialized ammo.

I figured I would start here... I realize that making major is critical to USPSA open shooters and that different barrel lengths, rifling etc will affect velocity and performance. With that said, If you could buy 9mm major that passed a chrono, was accurate and at a fair price (In say 1-5k orders) that was factory new would you be interested or are you just as addicted to reloading as you are to shooting?

I think you will find that most Open shooters have their own unique recipe. I prefer MG 115JHP, CFE Pistol, and an OAL of 1.165.

If I were the ammo company, and had to tweak a Camdex machine for example, for 5k rounds for a different OAL and powder for one guy, I'm not sure it would be worth my time.

You already can at a few places. Is your place going to be better or cheaper?

Who sells 9mm major ammo with 115's? I have looked, but haven't been able to find any.

I use the same recipe. 8.6 grains HS6, 115 grain Precision Delta, 1.165 OAL through a 1 in 32 twist Schumann barrel. It shoots cloverleafs at 50 yards if I do my part (off a rest with sniper breathing technique lol). I don't know if you would get the same results with someone else doing the loading for you, plus it would be hard to tweak the load if they are already loaded.

Edited by MrPostman

It cost me $0.115 ea for me to load my open loads. so I look at as I am paying my self to reload. On my 1050 I can easily reload 1000+ an hour and I figure I am saving about $0.09 ea. that works out to $90.00 an hour.

Atlanta Arms has 9mm major at $24/50.

they have 147's... I want lots of gas and have found i dont even like the feel of the heavier 124 bullets. I much prefer the 115's. I wouldnt be interested in a 147 grain major load. Really looking for something with tons of gas from a slow burning powder to work the comp.

I think the answer to your question is "no", but there is a caveat, if they can make it cheaper than we can everyone would be open to that kind of thing. I don't think many people would be in for a "regular" order of 9-major though in th 1-5k range that is currently shooting it. Most everyone that's decided to go that route knew what they were getting into when they started.

From a shooter's perspective, I get 6% variation in velocity between my slowest gun and my fastest gun, that means 170pf in one gun is 180pf in another. From a business owner's perspective I wonder if Atlanta Arms' insurance carrier has ever seem their flimsy disclaimer on their 9 major ammo: "Warning: This ammunitions EXCEEDS SAMMI Specification and should only be used through a competition race gun."

Vihtavuori actually lists a 3N38 9x21 load for 147s which could be loaded in 9x19 and makes major, so it's possible but HS6 and 115s? Try telling your liability insurance carrier you load 30% more powder than the max specified by the manufacturer :ph34r: What about if a $10/hr employee mixes 9 minor and 9 major powder? You've got a case full of little grenades :surprise:

I have been loading 9mm major with Hodgdon HS6 and 115's pushing FMJ bullets around 1500fps and love the feel of the ammo in my blaster. Between the cost of components and all the time wrapped up in the reloading, prep, pickup and QC I figure I pay a healthy price per round (time is money). I approached a local ammo company about the possibility of having them load my 30k 9mm for the year and they let me know they would be happy to load factory new (not reloaded brass) 9mm major ammo (115's and 124's) to my specs if there was a bigger market for this specialized ammo.

I figured I would start here... I realize that making major is critical to USPSA open shooters and that different barrel lengths, rifling etc will affect velocity and performance. With that said, If you could buy 9mm major that passed a chrono, was accurate and at a fair price (In say 1-5k orders) that was factory new would you be interested or are you just as addicted to reloading as you are to shooting?

If you can get your guy to load up what you need, that's cool. I would just not try and sway him by saying there's a market for it. As you can see from these posts, it is a very low probability move. With all the manufacturers out there not making 9 major ammo, I'd guess there's a reason for it.

You would be dealing with a subset of 9mm Major shooters (10,000 in the USA?),

who do not reload (1,000).

Most people who don't reload are new to shooting Major - as they get experience,

most start to reload.

A few (100?) might never reload - if that's big enough market for your mfgr, then

you're all set - I'd suggest loading down to 1.145", though.

I load to 1.204 in 9mm with 3n38... I win longest oal! ;)

I support the concept, of factory ammo in 9 major. Everyone buying super factory, would probably buy it, but of course price has to be right.

Vihtavuori actually lists a 3N38 9x21 load for 147s which could be loaded in 9x19 and makes major, :

They list the same load data for 9x19.

Peter, I went back and reviewed the data and remembered my point: Vihtavuori lists a 3N38 9x21 load for 115s which could be loaded in 9x19 and makes 171PF!

115gr JHP @ 1.161" over 9.4gr 3N38 - 1483fps

Which just happens to be my favorite load using SP2 instead of 3N38

Yeah, you can't use CFE or a bunch of other powders.

But, it's important to keep the OAL down to fit ALL guns,

so you have to use WAC or possibly HS6. :cheers:

Damm dude, 1.145? No thanks,

1.180 here, kind of a case in point for why the concept is wonky.

I don't mind reloading, and while I buy some factory rifle ammo I doubt I would ever purchase factory 9 major or minor in large quantities. If I quit reloading I would probably shoot open minor or more likely go to another division.

Atlanta Arms did a short 9mm Major a few years ago. It wasn't a 115----it was a 124 JHP. The headstamp was 355 Super.

Good stuff. I've still got maybe 150 rds of it, I fire a few in a new gun sort of as a "control". The stuff was VERY

consistent, running right at 172 PF. It used a powder that I'm not sure was ever positively identified.

They stopped making it. Liability, demand, the dearth of components that hit a few years ago---I've never really heard why.

Personally there is only one person I fully trust to stuff darned near 9 gr of HS6 under a 115. Me.