Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need your help. On the fence with what gun to get for Open

VR4154

I'm not new to USPSA as I've shot more SS and Loved it. Want to go to Open. 2 NEW platforms I'm going for as a now purchase. Want a Steel grip.

Gun 1: CZ Checkmate open 9mm package with mags= $3000/w scope

Gun 2: EAA witness Gold team 38= $1900-scope

Not familiar with any of these guns and am MORE concerned about QUALITY and FIT. Not the price difference. Everything else can be altered. Thanks for your help as there has been some already which is much appreciated.

I think I have only ever seen a few of either at a match in person. I would go with the 2011 platform like 95+% of Open shooters.

Look at a CK arms for starters. Very fine guns at a good price. Then email Matt Cheely and have him build you one from the ground up just the way you want it. :)

I would go with a CK Arms Open Gun. I have three CK Arms guns and they have been flawless. Two of them have the CK Arms Steel grip which I like very much. At this time there are two CK Arms .38 Super Comps available with Steel Grips at Speed Shooters International.

If those are the 2 you are set on, I'd say Czechmate. It's like having 2 guns in one. If you are just set on a metal grip? I'd say go with an sti and just purchase the metal grip for it.

Not to mention the 38 super will get pricey and in my opinion isn't needed when you can make major with 9mm for way cheaper.

Edited by Targetpractice

Definately go with 9 mm. I've had the Czechmate and minor meant nothing to me. The gun shot very well but parts and upgrade,choices are very few. Ultimately a 2011 platform is the logical choice. If you watch the forums you will see some very good guns, from well known builders, with the right upgrades within your budget.

I've done the 1- off, slightly different thing before in different sports, and when no one can help you because they just aren't familiar with your tools, it makes the learning curve very long.

If you grab a CK, Cheely, any STI based 2011 Open gun, virtually anyone can tell you what triggers are compatible with what grips, what mainspring and recoil spring setup to use, etc.

As Sarge mentioned, 95% of the shooters are shooting a 2011 platform, so when your firing pin spring breaks (or whatever else breaks), guaranteed that someone will have one in their range bag to get you back into a match.

Thank you all for your help. Ive been looking at the CKs as well and for a little more money its a better decision . Will hold off and get a CK. My "GO" mood is kicking in and I need to learn to be patient at times. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by VR4154

If you've shot a lot of SS, I'd stay with the 1911/2011 format - easier to adapt to. :bow:

Buy a used TruBor 9mm Major for c $2,000 and have a blast. :closedeyes:

After a year, if you think you need a "better" gun, get one built and you'll still

have the TruBor to shoot for the 1-2 years while you're waiting for your

custom gun to be built.

When your custom gun comes in, you'll have the TruBor as a backup gun. :cheers:

VR, just in case your go mood kicks in again, learn from my experience. I have a CZ TS that I bought for Limited, because I didn't have time to build on myself (my go mood). I like it a lot and still shoot it. When I decided to move to Open, I figured I'd buy an upper and go at it. Well, that's a problem. CZs built for competitions are put together well, but the parts are only for that gun. Try a new top end and you may find it won't go on at all, or it is so loose you can throw it on from across the room. You'll also find your options are extremely limited. The same is true for Tanfos.

After paying a handsome sum for machining custom bushings, barrel treading, comps, etc. I now have an Open CZ that will shoot the lights out of a Czechmate, and doesn't break things like the CM does. Would I do it again? Not on your life. If something breaks, I'll be out of action for the match, and possibly the next couple of matches. It wasn't a smart move.

So now I'm going to rectify the situation and build myself a 2011. 9mm or 38SC? I haven't decided yet. I like 38 Super, but all the matches I shoot are "lost brass". The idea of losing $30 to $50 worth of brass at every match is not very appealing.

Like the others, I'd recommend you start with a 2011 platform. If you want new now, buy a CK. Buy used if you want, but stay with a 2011. You'll go from being frustrated by the almost total lack of options for CZ or Tanfo Open to bewildered by the bazillion options for every part on a 2011.

Here is another thought on the CM in particular. Why put up with the compromises they made so you can switch back and forth between Limited and Open? I have two compete top ends and can switch between them in about 15 seconds. Want to guess how much time the Limited top end spends on the gun? None. I can see shooting SS and Open, because they are so different. But Limited and Open? Why? Open is Limited with cooler toys and a lot more fun.

STI will be fit better and more durable in the long run verses the CZ and Tanfo. I had a Tanfo in 38 super and it had beat itself to death on the upper lugs of the barrel and slide.

The CZ comes with 2 barrels so that should tell you something about the durability, since the lower lug on the barrels can crack over time. Not to mention that both guns break slide stops due to the design.

With a 2011 you have a barrel link that generally will last the lifetime of the barrel (50k rounds or so) if fitted properly.

Edited by MrPostman

I've shot a tanfog open for a little while. I really liked the way it shot but they are something of a 'kit gun'. I spent basucally $1000 in parts to get a decent magwell, trigger, mag bases etc.

I have now switched to 2011 for the reasons guys above mentioned. I've just bought a ck thunder open with steel grip (still waiting on it) and a sv infinity.

Given you already shoot a 1911 sticking with that type of gun makes sense. The best part is the Ck with steel grip has all the good gear when you buy it. No need to blow more money on parts.

After much research and time I decided against the EAA or CZ and ended up getting this from a member. I can't wait to get back into shooting again and Thank you Open Gun for the beauty. Can't wait until it gets to my FFL.

25947946cb690ac40c9d7c4091eafb78.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...