Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono'd my reloads, am I doing myself a disjustice at 207PF?

SoCalGlocker

I've always been of the mind to practice what you shoot and shoot what you practice. Meaning, I don't shoot powder puff bunny fart loads in practice and full power loads in reality.

With that said my chrono'd reloads calculated out to a power factor of 207,000.

SSP is 165,000 min.

Is this too hot?

230g 45acp

I'd wager that the OP is probably shooting CDP, hence the mention of the 165pf.

IMHO, I don't think you lose anything in competing with 165pf and carrying 207pf. If that unfortunate time comes that you need to use your firearm outside of a game, you probably won't feel the difference in recoil. But you will feel the difference in your pocket. Meaning you'll be saving on powder costs by only loading for 165pf.

Edited by v1911

Struggled with the same thing recently. First powder I found was Universal, and the best load worked out to nearly 200 PF with Blue Bullets 200gr SWCs. So, I've been trying different powder/bullet combos looking for something that's accurate and 170-ish PF. So far, Ramshot True Blue and coated Missouri Bullet 155gr SWC's are working out well, but just over 9gr charge, so not economical. I'll try Titegroup or Ramshot Competition or Zip next (assuming I can find them).

NO, IDPA has Major and Minor also, but by divisions. CDP and ESP are a 165 floor, SSP and ESP are 125, and the SSR floor is only 105.....

Forgot about CDP, but I know that ESP is 125 (that's what I shot before I gave up on IDPA) I load 9 major to 172 PF (165 minimum), can't even imagine what a 207 would feel like.

Edited by Bkreutz

NO, IDPA has Major and Minor also, but by divisions. CDP and ESP are a 165 floor, SSP and ESP are 125, and the SSR floor is only 105.....

Forgot about CDP, but I know that ESP is 125 (that's what I shot before I gave up on IDPA) I load 9 major to 172 PF (165 minimum), can't even imagine what a 207 would feel like.

I was doing chrono at a State IDPA match and one of the competitors CDP factory load was 202pf. It was a surprise to the hand.

When I was shooting IDPA with my Glock 21, I would run 230 grains at about 575 fps for SSP and bump it to 730 fps to shoot in CDP with 8 plus 1 to bug out my 1911 buddies. Anyone who runs way, way over the floor doesn't get the game, or they believe that IDPA is really about full house carry ammo...... However one time I showed up for an ICORE match and was told the floor was 185? Sounds pretty warm but doable with a 45. So I shot .45acp 230+Ps issue ammo for the chrono stage for a PF of 219 in a S&W 625. The chrono dude goes why so much juice, the PF for ICORE is 125...... Turned out in my favor because it got me classified in D, and I got 2 subsequent match bumps, but read the rules first.

if you care about your score, then you are doing yourself a disservice shooting 200pf ammo in a match. work up a load where your 230gr bullet is going about 760fps.

shooting a soft load is not a detriment nor a slander on your manliness. shooting a 200pf ammo could be though.

I agree with the above. Nothing but a handicap if you're trying to keep up with others shooting ammo that is considerably softer, for the same points. From a purely gaming perspective the goal should be to stay as close to the power floor as possible (while being able to achieve accuracy from the load and guaranteeing you won't come up short at chrono stage) that's why most people shoot for around 170 for major or 130 for minor. 200 pf 45s is about the same as guys shooting factory .40 ammo in production. Whew. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as the real world vs. practice thing goes: Last time I was shooting my carry gun I accidentally forgot to put my ear plugs in, this was with my carry ammo, and holy smokes... my head rang! In a real world situation I think I would be hard pressed to take a second shot anyway from the ear pain. Practice with the weaker stuff, save some money and probably extend the life of your barrel.

Edited by Hello

My 45 loads are plenty accurate at bunny fart levels. For REV the floor is 155, I ran 255gr bullets at around 650 last year. The zero down is 8" wide afterall, doesn't require match grade accuracy.