Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not more limited minor?

kevinm

Sorry, Kevin, I'm not sure I understand your question.

Quite a few people shoot limited minor - me included.

The advantage is higher mag capacity, lower recoil,

lower cost.

Disadvantage is the higher scoring rings.

Personal decision - I'm fine with Limited Minor. :cheers:

I shot limited minor at the last major match I shot. Came out about the same as when I shot limited major. I was shooting 40 in minor. If I would have shot 9 and had higher capacity, might have made more of a difference.

Just ask why more people are not shooting limited minor. There is only 1 or 2 that shoot minor where shoot.

Because it's a pretty significant disadvantage in scoring. The extra 3 rounds in the mag rarely ever matter when you are taking 23 vs. 20 rounds. In Single Stack 10 vs. 8 can be a much bigger advantage depending on the stages.

Scoring points versus cost of busting caps. I shoot Limited Minor, but understand that I have to pretty much get all A's. However when I shoot my G31 in .357SIG. it's Major.

How's that work? According to Appendix D2, minimum caliber for Major is .40/10mm. Can you point out where they ruled this as allowed?

Scoring points versus cost of busting caps. I shoot Limited Minor, but understand that I have to pretty much get all A's. However when I shoot my G31 in .357SIG. it's Major.

How's that work? According to Appendix D2, minimum caliber for Major is .40/10mm. Can you point out where they ruled this as allowed?

BoD created aspecific inclusion for .357SIG Major in Limited a while back.

Jim - in Single Stack and Revo the penalty for for shoot minor is often offset by the added capacity, especially if there is a lot of steel or if it is a local match which is often set up with production shooters in mind (not as many 8 shot SS and Revo shooters). Many of the SS and Revo shooters are doing as well or better against their peers shooting major.

In limited the capacity is already around 20 with major 40, so the benefit of the additional 2-4 rounds by shooting 9mm minor isn't as pronounced.

I've shot limited a couple of times and use a 9mm tanfo, but I am not a serious limited shooter and don't want to reload .40. In revo I shoot minor and did pretty well with that last year. I also like Single Stack and when I shoot that it is usually minor, but if I were to go to a level II or higher match I'd probably shoot major .45.

In USPSA, stages usually break up into 8 round chunks. This makes 6 round major revolvers not viable due to the number of standing reloads. It makes single stack borderline that some stages favor major 8, and some favor minor 10, but it is all about cutting out standing reloads.

In limited with extended mags, most can get 21 rounds of major in a mag and 23 or 24 for minor. For most stages this difference will not eliminate a standing reload. This just leaves the split time difference in reduced recoil of minor, and with most heavy frame bull barrel guns used in limited, this time difference is minimal, and can't overcome the handicap of minor scoring

If I ever have a SS or Limited gun built it will be 9mm just to keep things simple for me. LOL I'm set up to reload 9mm and already have a thousand bucks worth of magazines!

limited minor is a whole different animal from ss minor. the extra couple rounds in ss can be a large advantage in many stages, and can open up some more efficient stage plans, as well as reducing the risk of shooting aggressively on steel.

The extra rounds in limited don't really make much of a difference.

I shoot Limited major. I shoot a lot of As, and accumulate 90+% of the available points on each stage. I went back to the match summary and calculated my score as minor. It dropped me several places. Admittedly, that does not take into account the quicker double tap minor allows. That may make up a place or two. If I shot minor, I'd have to be a lot more accurate to place the same. Maybe it's possible. I've never tried it.

That being said, if the only gun I could shoot Limited with was a 9mm, I'd shoot it minor and have a ball. That's essentially what happens in the shoots around me. The few Limited minor shooters use a 9mm and have a ball. A couple even place a lot higher than some of the major shooters. Most of the Open minor shooters are in Open so they can put a dot on their gun. Otherwise they could not see the sights to shoot. I expect most of them will switch to CO. I'm thinking of trying Open this year for the same reason, except I'll shoot major.

I shoot Limited major. I shoot a lot of As, and accumulate 90+% of the available points on each stage. I went back to the match summary and calculated my score as minor. It dropped me several places. Admittedly, that does not take into account the quicker double tap minor allows.

how much quicker are your splits shooting minor?

I have tested mine shooting 45 vs 9mm in SS and they are pretty much the same.

Are your splits really going to be faster when you have to aim a bit harder to really ensure an Alpha when shooting Minor? I'm pretty sure I shoot my limited gun faster than my production gun because I can be looser with the hits.

moto, about 0.1 second. If that were consistent, it would net me 1.6 seconds on the longest stage. I don't think it would be worth it.

waktasz, I don't know. I said I'd have to be more accurate, and also that I had never tried it. My guess (and that is all it is) is that it would not affect my time. The front sight comes back down more consistently when I shoot minor in other events.

moto, about 0.1 second. If that were consistent, it would net me 1.6 seconds on the longest stage. I don't think it would be worth it.

wow. that's a lot. I thought it would be that much or more, but when I actually ran some bill drills at various distances and some el prez runs, it turned out way less, like .01-.02 for me on most targets.

I've watched Nils shoot Limited minor and make it look like the most fun thing since..... well, you get it, while crushing very talented shooters. My experience is that while certainly fun and easier on older hands I throw enough Cs and Ds (no penalty mikes) that my I will drop a few positions. My story is you need to be either a star studded alpha shooter or in this game for the fun of it all.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Neomet

moto, I'm shooting a CZ TS. My minor load runs 138PF; major 172PF, both with 180gr bullets. With the minor load, the barrel barely moves upwards.

Oh yeah.....my TS with 180s in minor is just the bomb.

moto, I'm shooting a CZ TS. My minor load runs 138PF; major 172PF, both with 180gr bullets. With the minor load, the barrel barely moves upwards.

I have the same gun, but I have only run minor in it a couple times for steel matches. My split comparison was based on a 9mm 1911 vs 45 1911 since I shoot singlestack with both.

A 9mm 1911 also doesn't move around too much.

I bet if you practice more, that gap will close. I've heard some top shooters say they shoot essentially the same speed major or minor, it's just all about capacity vs points.