Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open Pistol (pictures too)

colt1911

So I just picked this up from my dealer this evening!!! Super pumped to get it up and running tomorrow after work... 9mm DVC!!! They even had 2 extra 170s laying around with grams guts for $70 so I grabbed them too!

Load question: I'm gonna be loading with Hp38, because it's what I have right now, does anybody have a good running 9major load with Hp38? I'm gonna start at hodgdons max load and go from there to find that sweet spot but if anybody has something I can try Id be appreciative! post-63466-146102508429_thumb.jpeg

Amat Victoria Curam

Using HP38 or Winchester 231 to make major in 9mm is absolutely a recipe for disaster.

Please reconsider and get some HS-6/Autocomp/CFE Pistol/Silhouette or another proven powder in 9mm major. All of these are readily available now.

I'm gonna be loading with Hp38, because it's what I have right now

if you insist on loading HP38 do yourself a favor and shoot minor until you can get a suitable powder. Take a look at this burn rate chart: https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20Rates%20-%202015-2016.pdf

Anything between True Blue and 3N38 will serve you well.

Also, some advice regarding the DVC - remove all the screws on the scope mount and blue loctite them before you zero the gun. I know 4 others that bought DVC opens and the screws all loosened up, including mine.

Congrats on the new blaster. If this is your first adventure in it, that's a helluva gun to dive in with! I don't know enough about powders to give any advice on that front, but the rest of these guys absolutely know what they're talking about. Definitely listen to their advice.

Thanks for all the input y'all, I had a feeling Hp38 would be a little too hot, man does it perform well in everything else I load... I can get as much WAC as I want cheap, so I'll probably go that route because it's like $8 or $10 cheaper than hs6 around here...

Amat Victoria Curam

Also, some advice regarding the DVC - remove all the screws on the scope mount and blue loctite them before you zero the gun. I know 4 others that bought DVC opens and the screws all loosened up, including mine.

Yeah I plan on doing that tomorrow afternoon before I shoot it!

Amat Victoria Curam

Well, any SME's listen up... My place that had WAC for $15 is out... But they had a bunch of Blue Dot and Silhouette, both in the suggested burn area for 9major... Thoughts on those 2 powders and load info?

Amat Victoria Curam

Using HP38 or Winchester 231 to make major in 9mm is absolutely a recipe for disaster.

Please reconsider and get some HS-6/Autocomp/CFE Pistol/Silhouette or another proven powder in 9mm major. All of these are readily available now.

I totally agree!!!

Get the Silhouette and some 124 or 125 grain JHP bullets for starters.

1.165" OAL Start in the low 7 grain area and you will probably have to

work your way up a little. Maybe between 7.4 & 7.8

Make sure your bullets are not pushing in and getting shorter.

Rack the same round thru the gun 3 or 4 times and make sure the OAL is not getting shorter.

Save the HP38 for a minor steel load.

Some load testing from my DVC Open in 9mm major:

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Awesome, thanks SRT! Which is your favorite, just curious?

Amat Victoria Curam

I only posted data for the powders you said you could get and that I have chrono data for, but my favorite so far (still pretty new to open) is 8.2 3N37 MG 115 JHP 1.175" with an 8lb recoil and 18lb main spring. Personally I didn't really like Silhouette - felt a bit snappy, lot of dot movement. I also have chrono data for HS6, Autocomp, and 3N37 if that helps (I've done a lot of testing with the DVC).

ETA - might as well just post the rest of my chrono data (all tested with the DVC)... might be helpful to others as well.

9mm Major.pdf

Edited by SRT8

I have heard that before but I Hope not, I have 4 lbs of it... And it is what I load everything else with, id hate to have to switch... But if I have to...

Amat Victoria Curam

It won't work. And FYI someday if you get much into competing with it you will be saying I ONLY have 4 lbs of powder for it. :) 4 lbs isn't much in the overall scheme of things. Get you some WAC and go to work Edited by Sarge

I have a Freedom Gunworks Open and a CK Arms Open with 3 popple holes. This is my load data with Autocomp. This has worked well for me so far, but will be working up a load with HS-6 later this week.

7.5g Autocomp

115gr Montana Gold

Federal Small Rifle Primers

O.A.L. - 1.165

I am getting right around a power factor of 172.

Edited by S&W686