Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

doe your open gun shoot major and minor to the same POA?

Sandbagger123

i am new to the open game so please bear with me. i zeroed my open gun at 20 yards. then i pulled out my minor loads to check for function. to my surprise they impacted about 6" right with a great group. i bought the gun to shoot open and steel. So is it common to for a open gun to not shoot minor loads to the same point of aim as major?

I have my CMore marked… So that on major power factor I dial the elevation to one Mark, and then for minor power factor turn it about an eighth of an inch down so I can go back-and-forth quickly.

Def not the same poi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say minor loads will shoot higher than major in everyone's case. The bullet is traveling slower when shooting minor(obviously) so by the time the bullet leaves, the barrel will have moved upward more than if the bullet was moving faster (major)

At least thats what ive gathered reading up on POI POA on here. Theres some interesting topics that show what im trying to describe here out of revolvers.

Edited by Shmella

Mine varies in windage between my "standard" Major and Minor loads, and I have no clue why. The only elevation changes I see are when changing powder in my Major loads. That is presumed to be the amount of gas flow and velocity through the port, but I don't understand why. The bullet leaves the barrel, doesn't hit any of the baffles in the comp, and travels downrange. So why does POI change vertically? Theoretically, once the bullet leaves the barrel, no motion of the gun can affect it.

My 38 sup changes both hornizional and vertical. I only load major power factor but have several different bullets I am using up in practice. I am sighted in with 115 fmj hornady. Using up 121 ifp Montana gold in practice which are high and right. Works ok on paper but not good for steel practice.

Changing to 125 jhp when these run out. I don't like the differences in the way the gun feels with different power loads.

My windage is the same and my elevation is 2 inches higher at 20yds with my minor load. If I don't have a major match coming up I usually split the difference when sighting in. I use a 124MG for major and 115MG for minor. My variance may not be that far off due to my minor load still being about a 140pf to keep the comp working.

Tried a new combination at the suggestion of a fellow open shooter. I shoot 124 Precision Delta at 1.165 LOA and 7.8 Silhouette.

Today I shot SNS 124 at 1.5 LOA with 4 grains of WST. POI was indentical at 18 yards with my capability. I'm going to try this at a steel match tomorrow.