Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miculek Comp getting obsolete?

timawa

With new muzzle brakes came out for competition, with "tuning screws" and all sorts of adjustable parts in the muzzle brake, is simple muzzle brake like Miculek comp getting obsolete?

And with all available modifications for AR 15 rifle to reduce recoil, to shoot flatter (like low mass BCGs, adjustable gas blocks, lightweight buffers, etc), does muzzle brake still part of a long journey to a perfect 3 gun rifle?

Miculek comp is on my Top 3 S**t list for overly noisy muzzle devices. I believe users when they say it is mechanically effective. But, I hate being anywhere near them. Even many users report they hear it more from their position operating the rifle, also. Knowing that all of us can do better for our hearing while still being as mechanically effective means we should strongly consider the alternatives. Simple is fine. Just make sure they are more modern designs that actually use fluid mechanics knowledge in the process.

I still run my Miculek break and love it. RO's don't like it as much

LOL. Yeah it's pretty tame when you're the one running the gun. I made the mistake of standing next to mine while taking pictures for a women's day on the rage for the local club. Never doing that again.

With new muzzle brakes came out for competition, with "tuning screws" and all sorts of adjustable parts in the muzzle brake, is simple muzzle brake like Miculek comp getting obsolete?

And with all available modifications for AR 15 rifle to reduce recoil, to shoot flatter (like low mass BCGs, adjustable gas blocks, lightweight buffers, etc), does muzzle brake still part of a long journey to a perfect 3 gun rifle?

In my opinion its far from obsolete. Its simple and effective. probably the best value in a muzzle device on the market.

An effective muzzle device is still an important component in fine tuning the complete system of a competition AR.

As far as blast goes, this is a game with a device that goes BANG, It can be loud, it can be felt, and I've RO'd hundreds if not thousands of shooters with all manner of breaks. Ive never left the range and thought it was bad or uncomfortable or whatever. It aint "Call-of-Duty" on an X-box. If muzzle blast bothers you, stick to the X-box.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha obsolete?? I just set up my rifle with one and it works great. Also have a AP Gen II Little Bastard brake...that thing is load, I thought the Miculek brake is an awesome piece of equipment and sold a couple of other shooters on it today.

Even if something better is/was made (and the JM brake works great so that is tough), the JM brake is still around $40

It is extremely well designed in my opinion. For example, it doesn't have direct top ports that could be spitting gasses in front of sights but it does have effective vertical control from the way the side ports are cut

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman