Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best 3-gun cleaning patch?

I have been using worn out match T-Shirts, cutting them up to fit the rifle and pistol and shotgun bores on jags. I have tried buying white flannel from a fabric store and cutting it to size, but I end up spending at least 5 extra minutes a month on cutting, instead of cleaning or shooting.....so what are the Pro,s using?? I am sure that there has to be a best for 3-gun cleaning patch out there, I just need to know what it is and where to find it.

Used toilet paper. Its free, readily available and most importantly it breaks into perfect shotgun bore sized squares with no cutting required.

Used? Is the shit a solvent or lube?

Hey Kurt, Hoser showed me these and they work great you can get them at Brownells, I can't copy and paste the link but they're called Weapon Care System Pellets #929000002 (Sorry can't cut and paste in this forum at work), less then 3 swipes my barrels will get squeaky clean.

*btw Hate all you want I think there great!

Edited by DocMedic

Used toilet paper. Its free, readily available and most importantly it breaks into perfect shotgun bore sized squares with no cutting required.

Used? Is the shit a solvent or lube?
Depends on what the person ate. It varies from being like a greasy bore mop, to more of a bore lapping compound to a CLP occasionally. I throw away anything with corn in it, corn fouls up the bore and degrades accuracy.

Yes, the rotary cutter on self healing cutting pad makes cutting old t-shirts to the size needed a fast job. I did find that dress shirts do not do as well as woven material.

Carbon, being an abrasive, probably shouldn't be dragged through the bore repeatedly. A bore snake traps carbon in the fabric where, unless cleaned after each use, it will act just like a very fine grit sandpaper. They are great for a quick and dirty field cleaning, but be sure to wash them out occasionally!!!!!

But, if you drag it through dirty, won't it remove some of that pesky surface area inside the barrel, thus increasing the velocity of the rounds? You know, because of less friction..

Personally, I use a big tub of diesel fuel and a beach towel to clean my rifle. My A-Gunner hates the smell though.. But he always has a spare barrel, just in-case..

The bane of the pistol elite, the despoiler of stages, the shifter of paradigms, the all divisive Pistol Caliber Carbine! Apparently they will either bring ruin, or salvation, upon USPSA. So it is of utmost importance what patch is used to swab those most sacred of bores that will decide the future of practical shooting in this country.