Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm minor, 2nd choice to Tightgroup

docscoutjr

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

As I am in Canada and our dollar doesn't buy as much as it used to, going to run with what I can get. We are paying $37-$45 per pound! if you buy singles. Good 'ol Unique and WSF will be on the top of my list.

The physics/chemistry seem to be the same as with a .45, PUSH a heavy bullet, rather than SNAP a lighter one. 9mm is just scaled down and you don't have to worry as much about a tiny bit of powder in a huge case as in the 231 scenario mentioned.

My first choice is CFE Pistol

Why cfe pistol. Considering starting to use that powder. Please give me any info you have.

I used W231 for decades, a few years back when powders got scarce, I started playing around looking for a replacement. I happened to try CFE Pistol and liked the way it worked. I don't believe the "Copper fouling eraser" bit for one second at the velocities of pistol rounds, but I like the way it loads. I load my minor to 136PF (5.2gr under a 124gr bullet). I use Autocomp for major PF but know shooters who use CFE for major. I may try that sometime, but I have a lot of Autocomp on hand so it will be a while before I try it.

• 1 month later...

I never could understand the hype of n320. It's clean, meters nice, but accuracy for me was so so, and the standard deviation was all over the place. I had as high as in the 30,s. With tight group it was a little dirtier, but metered great, accuracy was better and I got sd's as low as 6 over 5 rnds. I still play with 320 but my go to is tight group, it's also readily available and cheap.

I went up to 4.5 gr with a 125g blue bullet. I dont remember what it chronoed at though. Ill have to check again. I might back it down just for steel because I think it was over 130PF. I'll update when I chrono again.

I went up to 4.5 gr with a 125g blue bullet. I dont remember what it chronoed at though. Ill have to check again. I might back it down just for steel because I think it was over 130PF. I'll update when I chrono again.

Thanks. I ran up a load using WST and Zero JHP bullets for accuracy. Loads from 4.0 gr to 4.5 gr. All were slightly more accurate for me than Titegroup, WSF and Clays. 4.0 grains did not cycle the gun reliably but 4.5 did and might have a slight edge in accuracy.

I haven't chrono'd mine yet either. Will hopefully have time this weekend.

Chris

I see a lot of 320, now I'm curious to try.

I've run Bullseye and Unique for my 9mm minor (115,124gr) and 45acp (160, 200, 230gr)

Bullseye meters better, feels similar to wst or sr7625 when shooting.

Fast burner, soft recoil. Bit dirty as some have mentioned, but not bad.

Tried some slower powders, Power pistol, HS6 etc but don't like them as much for minor.