Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm minor, 2nd choice to Tightgroup

docscoutjr

Thanks everyone.

If you all think there is a powder shortage in the US, try living north of the boarder.

Anything really good/popular lasts for about 32 seconds and people are still in "hoarding mentality".

I am pretty well versed in major loading principles, going back as far as the days of 9x21. Felt/perceived recoil/muzzle blast was weighed off against muzzle rise/comp effect. Going full circle, I am going to give standard div a whirl again, but a whole lot has changed in 20 years.

So here is a question: is the trick in 9mm minor to get the highest volume/fastest burning powder, or the lowest volume/fastest burning powder?

Thanks everyone.

If you all think there is a powder shortage in the US, try living north of the boarder.

Anything really good/popular lasts for about 32 seconds and people are still in "hoarding mentality".

I am pretty well versed in major loading principles, going back as far as the days of 9x21. Felt/perceived recoil/muzzle blast was weighed off against muzzle rise/comp effect. Going full circle, I am going to give standard div a whirl again, but a whole lot has changed in 20 years.

So here is a question: is the trick in 9mm minor to get the highest volume/fastest burning powder, or the lowest volume/fastest burning powder?

Normally I go for fast burning and heavy bullets thinking

Works great for me in 40 and 45, I shoot mostly 40 and don't think there is a major difference in powders but follow the general thinking.

In 9mm I tend toward more med powders

Universal and WSF with 147gr Bayou Bullets, Those powders seem the smoothest and I have the best (fast and Accurate) splits with them in the 9.

I'm A class in USPSA so a M or GM is probably a better source.

Good Fortune

jcc7x7

probably personal preference. I have found in 45 that low volume powders can have velocity variation depending on where the powder is inside the case. Typically this manifests itself as the first shot after a draw being 5-10% slower (all the powder is piled up at the front of the case). I have never experienced that with 9 or 40 however.

I like a powder to fill up enough of the case that I can see it easily on the press, and so that a double charge will overflow the case. Currently I'm using red dot with 147gr coated bullets and it works great. slightly faster (softer recoil) than n320 which I was using previously.

but I'm pretty agnostic. I would happily s hoot n320, or several the vectan/nobel powders or clays or a bunch of others I haven't tried yet but probably work just fine.

Edited by motosapiens