Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Officer in 40 S&W?

Distant Thunder

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I think those that compete only have a small say and are only a small market for them as well. The 9mm would sell since most first time owners can buy 9mm ammo cheap. At least cheaper than 40 or 45. The guys buying 45acp guns are mostly guys who always wanted a 45. I think if they did a limited run say 2000 or so they could test the market and see how they sell. I would buy one in stainless if they made it or a Range Officer Operator in 40. The light rail is a good way to add weight where we want it for competition. Thanks, Eric

Yeah, I get that it would not be a huge market for Springfield Armory, but I had the chance to look over a Sig Max 40 a couple days ago and came away surprisingly unimpressed. I just thought SA could do a better job for the competition shooters on a budget using the RO for a base platform to keep costs down.

...Even then, only to those with any interest in single stack (which is a small part of the USPSA community).

And perhaps only those single stack shooters that also shoot limited. Nothing wrong with 45 if you're not looking to share 40 cal ammo with another pistol.

...Even then, only to those with any interest in single stack (which is a small part of the USPSA community).

And perhaps only those single stack shooters that also shoot limited. Nothing wrong with 45 if you're not looking to share 40 cal ammo with another pistol.

Well ... again, let's look at this from the perspective of a budget minded and/or new shooter. They're probably not going to be reloading (at least not at first) so they're going to be buying factory ammo. Two of the most widely available 40 offerings are the Winchester USA (white box) 165gr. and Blazer Brass 180 gr. in 100 and 50 round boxes respectively. They come in at around 175 - 177 power factor. Not ideal, but pretty manageable. The Winchester USA and Blazer Brass 230 gr. 45 will both produce over 190 power factor. Uhmmm, which would you prefer to shoot over the course of a match? Which of these costs less to shoot? When our budget/new shooter does start to reload which will cost less to produce? Yup, the 40 wins on all these counts. Now before everyone starts rolling their eyes and shaking their heads, look in a Range Officer's case and what do you see besides the gun? A holster, a double mag pouch and a cleaning/bore brush. Granted, a rather rudimentary holster and mag pouch, but something to get started with nonetheless. I still think a Range Officer in 40 makes pretty good sense for the beginning shooter. They'd have a sound platform to start with and one that wouldn't break the bank to upgrade as they'd wish later on. If any company could pull this off my money's on Springfield Armory.

What does it take to convert a RO 9 into a 40? New barrel, bushing, and link. Extractor. Breach face recut. What else?

I contacted Deb at Springfield Armory's custom shop and she said we'd be looking at a whole new top end at a cost of around $1,200.00 to $1,300.00. Kinda kicks in the teeth on a budget shooter.

What does it take to convert a RO 9 into a 40? New barrel, bushing, and link. Extractor. Breach face recut. What else?

I contacted Deb at Springfield Armory's custom shop and she said we'd be looking at a whole new top end at a cost of around $1,200.00 to $1,300.00. Kinda kicks in the teeth on a budget shooter.
why would it require a new top end?

Just curious as I want to build out a SS to run the same ammo as my lim setup. I have 9 and .45 SS guns. My understanding is 9 and 40 can use same ejector. A 9 frame is already cut for the ramp. I'm sure I am missing something.

Shocked the living crap outta me too especially since I mentioned in my e-mail that I was asking about such a conversion on a Range Officer in 9mm. I was hoping they'd come back saying they could just modify the existing slide, fit a new barrel, bushing, ejector, extractor, recoil spring, but I almost spit out my coffee when I got the reply. And it was Dean & Deluca coffee, not Folgers so I'd have been REALLY upset. Do the math and it doesn't make sense on a gun costing a WHOLE lot less than the conversion would. Makes the cost of a Range Officer in 40 even more budget friendly, doesn't it?

It seems strange to me that there are so many companies out there that make 1911's, yet so few that make them in 40.

I mean honestly, what are your choices? STI, Sig or a custom? I know Dan Wesson occasionally will do a run of 40's, and your wish (and dollar signs) is their command when it comes to custom guns, but it is strange to me. Rock Island makes a good gun for the money and they make a whole bunch of 40's, but they all have bull barrels! I guess I'm just saying it's surprising to me that there are so many companies but so few choices.

It seems strange to me that there are so many companies out there that make 1911's, yet so few that make them in 40.

I mean honestly, what are your choices? STI, Sig or a custom? I know Dan Wesson occasionally will do a run of 40's, and your wish (and dollar signs) is their command when it comes to custom guns, but it is strange to me. Rock Island makes a good gun for the money and they make a whole bunch of 40's, but they all have bull barrels! I guess I'm just saying it's surprising to me that there are so many companies but so few choices.

Because while we desire guns in .40 for our gun games, the majority of people who buy these 1911s (read: non-competitors) do not want a gun in .40.