Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Officer in 40 S&W?

Distant Thunder

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uspsa is to small a market for them to address

Might help our cause a bit more if IDPA would recognize 40 S&W/10mm in their CDP division. Still don't understand that decision. Both/either EASILY make/exceed major power factor with virtually ANY factory load yet they're relegated to ESP? Not out to turn this into a USPSA versus IDPA argument (plenty of that going on already), but the savings to the shooter would apply to those who shoot IDPA as well. Maybe if the manufacturers would apply a bit of pressure to force the issue ...

they make the EMP in 40, so i dont see why they couldn't make a RO in 40.

The new EMP-4 will also be available in 40 too, so maybe next year if people keep asking for it?

Edited by Quack

And the final new Springfield Armory product for 2016 is ... not a 40 S&W Range Officer. Oh well, another year goes by, another opportunity missed, a dream unfulfilled.

I opened their page this morning hoping it would be the .40 as well, but no....

I think they are really missing the boat by not making a .40. Heck, even if they only sell to the uspsa crowd, they would still sell thousands a year.

How many SS 1911 in 40 S&W did Springfield make years ago?

Hello: I know Springfield has made 4 factory run 40 S&W pistols. I have two of the four. They made Stainless loaded, Trophy match Armory coat, Trophy Match stainless and a very rare Mil Spec standard parkerized. I have the loaded and Mil Spec. Still looking for a Trophy Match in stainless. You could have a smith make a top end for your 9mm lower and it would be cheaper than Springfield would charge. That is what I am doing right now. I don't think Springfield will mass produce a 40 Range Officer or Range Officer Operator unless they get a big order for them. They sell more 9mm and 45acp pistols to keep everyone happy. Thanks, Eric

If I may be permitted a bit of a thread drift here ...

My teammates and I learned years ago that if you don't dare to dream there will be no vision. Without a vision there will be no plan. Without a plan there will be no action. Without action there will be no hope. Making our wishes known isn't what I'd call an exercise in foolishness. The reasons for a Range Officer in 40 are valid ( I won't rehash them here) and I believe Springfield could corner the market given the present alternatives available to us.

How about if SA would offer a complete upper in .40 S&W that would fit the RO or Loaded models?

Yeah, we've pretty much already explored that possibility, but presently the Custom Shop is the only alternative ... at a cost prohibitive to the budget shooter. If they'd come up with a conversion it wouldn't be much more to produce the whole gun. A new shooter would still have to buy a gun THEN add the cost of a conversion on top of that. I'm not sure they'd be willing to do that.

Hello: Lipsey is going to make a 10mm Operator so that may be an option with just a barrel change. Thanks, Eric

I know some people already do it, but is there any reason to not just 40 through a 10mm barrel?

How will the cost of the 10mm Operator compare to the Range Officer? Do we have any estimates/guesstimates on this yet?

You're always going to be better off with the cartridge being able to headspace on the case mouth rather than being held in place by the extractor. Accuracy especially. Think back to the original 38 Super headspacing on the rim versus later versions which headspaced on the case mouth. Now factor in the possibility of ANY wiggle room with a 40 case being held in place by the extractor and you may also see inconsistent ignition with really light trigger pulls.

Lipsey 10 MM, check around the 4 minute mark in this video:

And yet another obviously blatant attempt to hijack this thread! It's perfectly clear to everyone that 10mm has absolutely nothing to do with 40 S&W.

Well, maybe they do use the same diameter bullet.

And maybe some people do load 40 out to 10mm length.

But, other than that Mrs. Lincoln ...