Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 vs 650

I am new to all of this, have been doing a lot of reading. I am most definitely going with Dillon.

I am stuck between the 550 and 650. I realize it's only a couple hundred difference after getting all the pieces parts in your cart.

As far as the minimum tools/accessories needed I came out to about $1100.00. (Sound about right?) OR is there somethings I can cut to make it a little bit easier on my funds and get the rest of the accessories later.

I am unsure what I absolutely need off the bat or what can wait until later. Should I start off with pistol rounds over rifle? Easier to learn?

All suggestions, advice, tips, criticism would be greatly appreciated, thank you everyone!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Both are good presses. I started with a number of 550 and they did a great job for me. This year I bought a 650 because of the auto indexing. It also gives you a slot for a powder sensor to make sure you don't have a squib or double charge.

The 650 also loads much faster do to the casefeeder, but you can get one for the 550. If you want to add a bullet feeder than the 650 is the way to go, it replaces the low powder sensor.

I initially bought a 550 but in less than two years I traded up to a 650. Just an awesome machine. It allows much more room for add ons such as a bullet feeder if you think you'll ever want one. If you get the 650 get the case feeder. In my opinion the CF should be included with the 650.

Other than that it's hard to comment on your list if we don't know what you got. But I would not spend the extra money for Dillon dies. I prefer LEE dies and also use a Udie. Get a good digital scale and calipers from Brian when you order and go ahead and get the "as it should be" upgrade. And get a spare parts kit.

From a safety perspective, I believe the 650 is the better press. Harder to double load a charge and auto indexing is faster.

It is no more safe or dangerous than a 550. It is easier (IMO) to load a squib on the 650.

Most of the people I talk to who have loaded squibs or worse, said they used a 550. Others posted ahead of me seem to favor the 650 also. Like you said IMO. As always, your mileage will vary.

From a safety perspective, I believe the 650 is the better press. Harder to double load a charge and auto indexing is faster.

It is no more safe or dangerous than a 550. It is easier (IMO) to load a squib on the 650.

Most of the people I talk to who have loaded squibs or worse, said they used a 550. Others posted ahead of me seem to favor the 650 also. Like you said IMO. As always, your mileage will vary.

Agreed. The 550 has a proven track record of under charge and double charge.

It all depends on how much you're reloading per month to justify the cost upgrade to a 650. I've been using a 550 for a decade and don't feel like I'm missing anything other than the case feeder, which I can now get for the 550, and I probably will get one in the next year. At only two matches a month with occasional practices, I don't shoot nearly as many rounds as many of the guys on this forum shoot though. If I were to buy another Dillon today I'd probably get another 550 for rifle loading (with the large powder bar setup all the time) and "oddball" loads like the occasional small batch of .357, etc, and then I'd put a case feeder on my current 550 for mass pistol processing for my competition loads. I have exactly no problem with the manual indexing and appreciate the simplicity of the overall system. (Disclaimer: I've never used a 650, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. Probably better for my wallet to leave it that way!!!!)

I started with a 550 and had a double charge after a few weeks. I sold that machine and went with the 650. The safest thing I ever did. 40,000 rounds and no double charges. The case feeder really reduces the workload and a Mr. Bulletfeeder is icing on the cake. 650 all the way!

No, it doesn't. The users of said machines do. The be all end all of it is, pay attention to what you are doing.

Throughout my years of reloading, I've only had one squib... loaded as a newbie on an auto indexing Lee. If anybody walks into the garage while I'm reloading I immediately stop reloading and don't proceed until they leave. Zero distractions combined with 100% attention = safe loading, no matter the machine.

Had a 550 and now have a 650 with CF. Would not go back to the 550. It's been said a 100,000,000,000,000,000 on here, buy once, cry once. I recommend buying one machine better than you "think" you need. If your needs expand, great, you grow into it. If not, you've never known any different so who cares?

In my privileged position of reloader-beginner may I suggest Super 1050? For a not-so-little-more you'll get a superior machine with more stations. The cost difference is small within reloading theme alone - after considering other reloading essentials, tools and workspace preparation, and is negligible on general scale of shooting sport activities/necessities: guns, equipment, range, travel, match fees, classes, time.

We reload to shoot more, to shoot what we want.

I crank out 100-300 rounds on 1050 after a breakfast to wake-up my mind with great pleasure. Good attention exercise. Every 3 sec there is a new cartridge in the blue bin.

Automatic Primer Filler RF100, Mr.Bulletfeeder, Lee FCD.

In my privileged position of reloader-beginner may I suggest Super 1050? For a not-so-little-more you'll get a superior machine with more stations. The cost difference is small within reloading theme alone - after considering other reloading essentials, tools and workspace preparation, and is negligible on general scale of shooting sport activities/necessities: guns, equipment, range, travel, match fees, classes, time.

We reload to shoot more, to shoot what we want.

I crank out 100-300 rounds on 1050 after a breakfast to wake-up my mind with great pleasure. Good attention exercise. Every 3 sec there is a new cartridge in the blue bin.

Automatic Primer Filler RF100, Mr.Bulletfeeder, Lee FCD.

One year warranty for the 1050 vs the lifetime for the others. Dillons warranty service is literally the best there is.

Topic wise get the 650 with the case feeder.

Edited by LilBunniFuFu

I have both machines and think they are both great, but each has its own pros and cons.

I don't consider either to be inherently safer or more prone to double charges/squibs as that is operator technique and discipline as Grumpy mentioned. Last squib I had was from ammo loaded on a 650. i had crushed a case and short stroked and advanced the index plate, and didn't clear the shell plate deck or check the case for powder as I was distracted. My fault for sure. I've loaded a boat load of ammo on a 550 (since about '87) and had only a couple of squibs. Moral of that story is to visually check every case for powder on either machine.

I do consider the priming system on the 550 to be inherently safer. The 650 priming system works very well, but it is a different design from the 550 and if one goes off it often will chain fire and ignite the primers in the tube. I won't let my children sit with me when I load on a 650 because of this. I've heard the 550 can do this also, but it is less likely due to the slide bar design. (BTW - Safety glasses are a mandatory item for everybody in the area whenever loading ammo).

As a first press I think the 550 makes more sense because it is simpler and when things do go wrong (and they will!) it is easier to figure out and get back on track. Plus it is cheaper if you are loading several calibers. The 550 will do it all well, including rifle calibers (and the case base sits on the shellplate platform which I think gives better OAL consistency). If after loading on the 550 the need/desire is there then move up to a 650, you won't have any trouble selling your well cared for 550 and accessories for a good price. If I were to get out of competition shooting I might sell the 650, but will never part with the 550. The 650 will make a bunch of ammo in a hurry, though. For pistol calibers I can do 4-500/hour easily on the 550 after set-up, on the 650 when things are running smooth (which is most of the time) I can easily load 800+/hour after set-up.

Besides the press/dies/toolheads you will need a decent scale (can be had for less than 50 bucks now), tumbler and media separator ( midsouth has great prices on their house brand kits), an kinetic bullet puller hammer, and if shooting for power factor you need a chrono (good ones are less than 100 bucks). Other stuff you will figure out you need/want it and will buy it along the way.

Go slow and make small batches of ammo at first. ;)

My basic 650 setup would look like this:

Dillon 650 press

Dillon case feeder

Set of lee dies for whatever your first caliber is

Alluminium roller handle

That's it. You don't need the strong mount if you bolt it to a solid bench. No strong mount also means you don't need the $$ bullet tray as press wil be close to the bench top.

The money you save not buying strong mount, bullet tray, tool kit will get you about half way to a bullet feeder which is very nice to have.

I also like to have

Inline fabrications light kit

Inline fab bin dam

Extra primer tubes

For each extra calibre you need dies, toolhead, shell plate and buttons, case feed parts, station 1 locator.

No, it doesn't.

yes, it does. Doesn't matter that the operator forgot to turn the plate or turned it too soon. That can't happen on a 650

One year warranty for the 1050 vs the lifetime for the others. Dillons warranty service is literally the best there is.

Warranty Agreement

The Dillon Super 1050 reloader has been designed as a commercial machine. Our expectation is that its life expectancy will be in excess of two million rounds of loaded ammunition. All Super 1050 machines are warranted for life from defects in material or workmanship, plus a one-year, 100% warranty against normal wear. All electrical/electronic components in Dillon equipment are covered by a one-year warranty.

http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon%20Manual%20PDFs/super_1050_manual_may_2007.pdf

Also, with 1050 printing ammo with specific loads then selling it to friends to recoup costs is an option.

Read Brian's recommendations. I started with a 550 based on his advice and I am glad I did. I now have 2 550's with case feeders and a 650 with case and bullet feeder.

I agree with Grumpy that it is easier to make a squib on a 650 by short stroking it when something goes wrong. Making a double charge on either machine will not happen if you pay attention to each case as it becomes visible.

In my opinion you will learn the issues much better with a 550 (with or wo a case feeder) and eventually you will graduate to a 650. I load 30-50,000 rounds a year and I can not imagine ever needing a 1050....but it would be fun! I admit it is nice to have 3 machines (and another tool head) set up for a given powder, caliber, and bullet. The biggest time consumer is set up. Now I seldom have to do that.

My vote would be a 550. If your a first time reloader.

I went from single stage to a 550, I already had all the extras needed. I was set on a 650 but cost per caliber was higher. I do not shoot competion, I collect military firearms and have too many different calibers to make a 650 cost effective.

The 550 is all in the operator, I put a lable right on the front to give me the the cycle.

Case, bullet, pull, push, rotate.

If I stop, I always stop at the end of cycle so I never get a double charge. I use a light and mirror to watch for no charge. 550 is easy to fix a problem during reloading. Again cost was a big factor to me, since I still have to keep a day job. For a 550 a caliber quick change setup $230 complete (pistol caliber). You can also find some good die prices at garage sales and ebay to lower that cost.

I can Quick change a caliber less than 5 min.

I can knock out 500 in less than an hour, including filling my primer tubes.

The big question is how many rounds a week do you shoot? If you shoot a lot of one caliber go 650, if (like myself) you shoot 1000 or less a week or want to reload many different calibers I would say 550.

I don't have a 650, but I have learned the 550 with the Brian Enos setup is a very nice press, not any unrepaireble problems, and primer safe by design ( never heard of a 550 primer tube blowing up).

Again for large amounts of the same, 650. For more creativity go with a 550.