Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match ammo?

Thaunk

Match ammo? Yes I like to match my ammo to the gun I am shooting. I hate showing up with the long skinny bullets when I needed the short fat bullets.

Federal, Black Hills, Hornady, Atlanta Arms, and a myriad of others make very nice match ammo.....Go Federal! Brownells carries it as well as Mid Way U.S.A. Ammo Man. S,G, Ammo, lots of on line sources. you just need to figure out what your barrel likes and then search for it.

Atlanta arms for instance is only selling .223. Is that an issue in a 5.56 rifle? The internet seems to say no, but I'd rather hear it from someone other than a blogger.

No issue at all. Possibly an issue using 5.56 spec ammo in a .223 chamber but a 5.56 chamber will shoot either.

There is something very important I forgot to tell you.... Don't run .223 ammo in a chamber cut for 5.56. It would be very bad. Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

I sight my rifle in with 69gr Remington match and use it for any stage with steel farther than 200 yards. I use PMC Bronze 55gr for any stage were all of the targets are 200 yards and closer. My gas system is set for the PMC.

There is something very important I forgot to tell you.... Don't run .223 ammo in a chamber cut for 5.56. It would be very bad. Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Okay, I'll take the beating if I'm wrong but isn't it the other way around? No 5.56 in a .223 chamber?

yes the metric version (5.56) is stronger than .223 in AR15, while the metric version (7.62) is weaker than .308 in AR10 variants.

OP, i like and use black hills blue box (reloads), specifically 75grain, but they have different options. also check out hornady steel match. as noted above i generally use pmc bronze or federal american eagle 55g inside of 200 and then match out past that.

Wow that is on the slow side, Good accuracy though!

Warning!!

That didn't make minor power floor in the 16" test gun, so be aware! especially if you travel anywhere that might chrono like an IPSC rifle match, or an outlaw match that specifies power floor not caliber!!

My load is a 55 gr N.B.T or a Sierra B.T. on top of the "crap ton" of 2460 as well. usually around 3250 fps out of a 20" barrel.