Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics sub forum

The Doctor Sight is the way to go, PERIOD. It has been proven on Major 9 Open guns. It is not cheap, but buy once cry once! Hard to beat German glass! Both my wife and I are using them. Mine has over 5000 rounds on it so far. I know of one that is still running after 100,000 rounds on a Major 9 Open gun. The dots are always on, so no messing with dials at load and make ready. It is the ultimate K.I.S.S. system

Yikes! $425 on Amazon ... at least you can't call it Welfare Optics any more ... :)

Ken, this is without question the best dot for Carry/Production Optics. It's cheaper to buy one of these then a couple of the others.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Doctor Sight is the way to go, PERIOD. It has been proven on Major 9 Open guns. It is not cheap, but buy once cry once! Hard to beat German glass! Both my wife and I are using them. Mine has over 5000 rounds on it so far. I know of one that is still running after 100,000 rounds on a Major 9 Open gun. The dots are always on, so no messing with dials at load and make ready. It is the ultimate K.I.S.S. system

Yikes! $425 on Amazon ... at least you can't call it Welfare Optics any more ... :)

Sure you can. I know a guy who put a $700 sight on a $400 gun so it's still cheaper than open. Seems unwise but still cheaper.

Ken, this is without question the best dot for Carry/Production Optics. It's cheaper to buy one of these then a couple of the others.

no doubt ... I just tend to compare everything to a C-more ... for better or worse ....

I've shot both the Doctor and now a DeltaPoint pro. For me the Pro is significantly better. Ymmv.

I've used a Doctor and DeltaPoint, the latter gets my vote. I might take a look at the new Romeo sights from Sig too, as they might be a viable choice for this division.

I've shot both the Doctor and now a DeltaPoint pro. For me the Pro is significantly better. Ymmv.

Can you elaborate? It certainly is way more expensive ...
Bigger glass and brighter dot. I never had to change the battery on the doctor before I sold it so I can't remember if that was a problem or not. Very easy on the DP pro. Edited by ctay

So I have a 85 combat I'm setting up for CO and wanted to touch base with you all to see what your think. Would the gun remain legal if I were to remove the rhs slide release as a way for weight reduction. No modification of the frame is required although the gun will be missing a part that is technically on the gun when approved to be on the list.

Would the gun remain legal for CO and Production? I would say its comparable to removing the rhs safety and running the gun like that.

Mill for the optic, get the Scales grips and it will make weight without removing parts

Do you actually have one set up? I am extremely skeptical of people making these statements, given my personal experience, and the fact that it seems every one of these remarks has been made without actually having weighed all of the prospective pieces, let alone actually have an actual pistol set up that way.

My Compact set up for CO now weighs in at 34.55oz. It is currently wearing a set of VZs, which are comparable in weight to the aluminum scale grips (if anything, the VZs are actually lighter). Note that the scale grips are only marginally lighter than the CZC thin aluminum, and both are on the higher end of the weight scale.

A full-size will be able to make weight, but you are going to have to play with the parts and/or mags to make it - you won't be able to just use whatever you'd like.

Edited by Walküre

I have the gun but now it just game planning to get it set up with a little of wiggle room. I was planning on sanding down the plastic grips flat and applying grip tape but the plastic grips aren't solid so if I try to sand flat I will have a big hole in my grip.

Realistically I want to be able to put aluminum grips on it but have to weight for milling for that. If I can run the gun without the rhs slide stop I will have a little more room for my grips.

Mill for the optic, get the Scales grips and it will make weight without removing parts

Do you actually have one set up? I am extremely skeptical of people making these statements, given my personal experience, and the fact that it seems every one of these remarks has been made without actually having weighed all of the prospective pieces, let alone actually have an actual pistol set up that way.

My Compact set up for CO now weighs in at 44.55oz. It is currently wearing a set of VZs, which are comparable in weight to the aluminum scale grips (if anything, the VZs are actually lighter). Note that the scale grips are only marginally lighter than the CZC thin aluminum, and both are on the higher end of the weight scale.

A full-size will be able to make weight, but you are going to have to play with the parts and/or mags to make it - you won't be able to just use whatever you'd like.

44.55 ounces? Isn't the current max weight 35 ounces?

Did you have a typo?

Edited by Gary Stevens

No, I don't have an 85 Combat, and you make a good point. A while ago someone post a photo of one with scale grips on a scale showing the weight under 35 oz.

Could it have been fake, sure, but that did not seem to be the intent of that poster. I have also corresponded with a guy at CZ-USA and he mentioned going the 85 combat route too, so yes I so think it is doable.

Edited to add: I am going to keep shooting my P-09 and hoping for the weight limitation to go away after the January BoD meeting

Edited by zhunter

My Compact set up for CO now weighs in at 44.55oz. It is currently wearing a set of VZs, which are comparable in weight to the aluminum scale grips (if anything, the VZs are actually lighter). Note that the scale grips are only marginally lighter than the CZC thin aluminum, and both are on the higher end of the weight scale.

A CZ 75b makes it without any issues, as long as you use the JPoint optic (1/2 oz.) It comes with a short plastic guide rod, and a LHS only safety. It also comes with plastic grips which are significantly lighter than other grips i've weighed. I prefer the rubber grips, but they are triple the weight of the plastic grips (1.2 oz per side, vs 0.4 oz per side.)

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221731&p=2488703

Edited by sperman

There was a lot of work done in getting the SP-01 weight down to the IDPA SSP weight limit some years ago. Search around for the threads. They looked at guide rods, mags, grips, slide stops, the whole enchilada. This work could easily be applied to 75/85s.

Later,

Chuck

PS: I may put a Deltapoint on my nightstand 75B if I ever get inspired to shoot a crappy open gun. :rolleyes:

A CZ 75b makes it without any issues, as long as you use the JPoint optic (1/2 oz.) It comes with a short plastic guide rod, and a LHS only safety. It also comes with plastic grips which are significantly lighter than other grips i've weighed. I prefer the rubber grips, but they are triple the weight of the plastic grips (1.2 oz per side, vs 0.4 oz per side.)

Wow l might have to do this. I just weighed my 75 BD with Jpoint on mount in dovetail, with the rubber grips and empty mag, and scale said 36 ounces. Man that might work, this gun tracks the dot great with minor. Now I'm all excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any Deltapoint shooters have feedback? I'm thinking triangle site will be good set up for longer shots with precision. Cover closer shots for speed.

I have Deltapoint with 7.5 triange and I totally agree. 7.5 is not at all too large. When you think about it that is just less than 2 inches at 25 yards. What percentage of our shots are past 25 yards? not many. If need the most precision for longer shots just use the top of the triange as advertised.

Eric

Wow l might have to do this. I just weighed my 75 BD with Jpoint on mount in dovetail, with the rubber grips and empty mag, and scale said 36 ounces. Man that might work, this gun tracks the dot great with minor. Now I'm all excited.

Milling the slide was about 1/2 oz. The optic mounting screws added back 0.1 oz. I don't know how much your mount weighs, but that will go away too if you mill the slide. You will still probably have to lose the rubber grips, but it's not that hard to get the 75b to make weight with the JPoint optic.

44.55 ounces? Isn't the current max weight 35 ounces?

Did you have a typo?

Oops. Yeah, typo - should have been 34.55oz.

Edited by Walküre

With the plastic grips though, which is my point. Running all of the fancy bits will get hard on the full-size.

You could probably put the grips on yours with the right mag, but you'll be really close. A small variation between scales could put it over in that case; far closer than I myself ever like to run anything (whether it be gun on the scale or ammo over the chrono).