Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time Open Gun Purchase...

cj36d

Thoughts?

You don't yet know what you like.

Long gun, short gun, long with popples, short with popples. They are all different.

When I was looking to buy open last year, I was able to shoot everyone of those gun types, and not just 10 rounds. I tried them, then shot a stage or two with each one as they all fell different.

I ended up with a long gun with no popples as it had the feedback I wanted. The Shorties were too violent for me. I have 100 of thousands of rounds downrange with regular guns, and the long just felt comfortable to me

Went from China class to A class in 4 months.

If you want to rush into it, buy a cheapo used Open gun and shoot the crap out of it while you figure out what you like and don't like. People will let you borrow thier guns to see the differences, but right now you have zero experience with any open guns and are not making an informed opinion.

Good luck.

The good thing is if you bought an open gun (either used or new) and later decided you want something different you don't loose a lot of money on the gun itself. In shooting the guns are the most expensive single part but they also hold their value better than other bits like rig, range gear etc. the biggest cost is the ammo and match travel costs/fees. As someone pointed out he bought a near new CK arms open for $3K. That gun 'only' cost $3500 new. So regardless if you buy a used trubore or new CK or new atlas etc the chances are you'd struggle to loose much more than $500 if you shot it for a year. $500 for a year of shooting and learning if that type of gun suits is not cheap.

I do agree though you should start asking to shoot as many open guns as you can. Most people will be happy to let you run a stage in practice with their open gun or at least shoot a few mags/few drills etc. There is a difference in feel between shorties, middies, longies. popple holes, no holes, or lots of holes. side ports, no side ports etc. steel grip/plastic grip. light slide/heavy slide. Don't even get started on the different feel between different loads even in the same gun! Which again is why I suggested the CK. It's new, will run out of the box and if for some reason you don't like it, it's built to a configuration that seems to suit a large proportion of open shooters so it'll be an easy sell. what I mean is there's nothing controversial about it's looks or setup that would alienate a large part of the market.

Edited by BeerBaron

I was in the same boat two months ago. 9mm or 38SC? Trubor or used XXX custom? I ended up buying a very nice Dan Bedell 9Major gun, right here, recently rebuilt (new slide, barrel and titanium comp) to duplicate the sellers primary gun for little more than a factory STI. The bluing wasn't even worn off the frame rails yet. Couldn't be happier. I believe some of these custom gun offerings will hold their value better than a used STI. I, too, shot several different offerings trying to establish a preference. My gun may not be exactly what I want, but it will be a great starter gun to shoot and experiment, until I settle on what works best for me. At that point, I will have a gun built specifically for me.

image.jpg1_zpsa80zbclf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had the same exact questions and dilemmas as you did in the last 30 days. After talking to several nigh end shooters and several gunsmith I ended up going 38 super for the reliability and flexibility factor. I agree with you I did not want to wait months on in to get my stuff. I ended up going with Bedell Customs. I would highly recommend chatting with Dan before you make a decision.

The one issue that has been missed in this debate is magazines and the stupid spacers. I like you am new to the open scene. I thought 9mm is a simple answer. Then I bought the magazines and spacers. What a nightmare. I found that they keep sliding into the mbx and tti base pads. I am going to 38 and staying there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW I've owned 3 TruBor's and never had a problem with any of them.

When I get the open itch again I'd buy another TruBor

Dan Bedell is an hour from me and I've had the pleasure of shooting with him many times.

If your going custom He is the guy. He builds Max's guns and all the local open Masters shoot his Limited and Open guns. They run!

So you being and instant " I want it NOW!" guy LOL, so I'm I!

TruBor is probably your best option and there will be lots of used ones from now till shooting season in the classifieds.

9 vs 38

I've owned both: 9 is fun cause brass is every where for the taking and its nice to not have to chase every piece of brass when you practice

BUT imo

the 38 SC run faster and flatter (but I spent more time with load development with the 38 also)

Get what you can at a good price and shoot the dog out of it to get used to an open gun

Good Fortune

jcc7x7

Edited by jcc7x7

Spacers? Not an issue. The plastic ones don't rattle and work! I can run 38SC or 9 Maj in my mags with a simple follower change and removal of the spacers.

9 or 38 --You can make GM with either. The real question, " What is your budget" 38S is just more expensive.

9mm v. 38 super.

if you're just getting started and have tons of 9 brass, i think you'll be happy with a 9 Open gun. And, if the barrel/chamber is worth a crap, you can reload the brass lots of times.

But i will say, the 38 super is flatter/softer, and in the long run, more efficient and fun. The only downside for 38 super is the brass, all other expenses are the same.