Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LAST question....9mm or 40?

lrdchaos

Do you load your own ammo?

My vote is for .40 but that's mostly so I can shoot major PF at a contest, and can also reload to a soft minor PF. I have a 9mm 1911 and prefer it to everything else I've ever shot (which might be limited compared to some guys on here, but potentially more than the average shooter). I got to compare my 9 to a .40 2011 at a steel match last week, shooting both major and minor PF .40 rounds. Minor was similar to the 9mm with factory ammo, factory ammo in the .40 kind of sucked to shoot IMO.

Also for resale a .40 would help I think. High cap 9mm seem to be used in 3 gun but I think most guys shooting USPSA/IPSC would want a .40 2011.

This is all just my opinion. There are guys here with a lot more experience and I'd want to hear their input.

Doesn't matter if you reload or not, there are quality ammo options out there for 2011s in both .40 and 9mm.

That said, as just a pretty range toy I would go 9mm. While the price difference isn't much between 9mm and .40 there is one and these days every penny you can save is a good thing. Not to mention the recoil on 9mm is softer IMO meaning that a day on the range is doesn't wear you out as much. Not that .40 is bad, but 9mm is softer to me.

A year and a half ago I faced the same problem and chose 40. I do not regret that decision. 40 is easier to load for and more flexible. I don't miss my 9mm at all.

That being said, if I didn't reload I'd go with 9mm.

I had a .40 and just ordered a couple new in 9mm.

Do I lose the advantage of major power factor in USPSA? Absolutely, and my standard answer is that I simply need to be more accurate. I know it's not a real answer, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make. I'd prefer the 9mm for 3gun, I already reload 9mm, and all my other pistol shooting is 9mm, so it made an awful lot more sense to me. It's not that shooting .40 is god awful hard, but shooting 9mm especially in a heavy 2011 is an awful lot of fun, and exceptionally easy.

If you are looking for a range/plinking toy, sounds like you made a solid call going with the 9mm, with what you are using it, there is no real benefit to the .40.

Cheers

Edited by sundevil827