Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot size for Trap and Skeet

usa259

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On Thursday, October 01, 2015 at 2:47 PM, usa259 said:

Is there much of a difference between 7.5 vs 8 vs 9?

I mostly use 8

sometimes shot goes through without breaking clay.

going to go up to 7.5

• 2 years later...

I've been shooting skeet for well over thirty five years.  In all guns I shoot #9 shot.  Now being a veteran shooter I shoot 1oz loads in 12 gauge and, at times, 3/4 oz loads in the 20 gauge.  In shoot offs from stations 3, 4 & 5 I use #8 shot in all guns.

Use #9 for skeet- gives maximum amount of shot in your hull- except for the winter time where the clays may have moisture in them and may be frozen. They are harder to break when this happens, so use #8 shot.

For handicap trap use #7.5 shot- you will need the extra energy in the pellet as you approach the 27 yard line to break the clay. Remember the golden BB. In doubles trap use #8 shot and shoot quickly. Use #8 shot when shooting 16 yard trap- this will break the clays and you have lots of BB's in your shell to do so.

When I was shotgunning, all serious Skeet shooters I knew used No 9, period.

I normally shot Trap with No 8, I did not seem to get as good breaks with 7 1/2, which may have been my barrels response.

No 8 1/2 was a fad for a while, I shot a little and could not see a difference in scores or appearance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

#9 shot for skeet. 7 1/2  or 8 for Trap, and when others say magnum they are referring to the type of shot used in the competition shell (Remington STS or Winchester AA) which is harder then the regular field shotshells, not the powder load.

• 2 years later...
On 12/7/2019 at 9:57 AM, BigGabe said:

#9 shot for skeet. 7 1/2  or 8 for Trap, and when others say magnum they are referring to the type of shot used in the competition shell (Remington STS or Winchester AA) which is harder then the regular field shotshells, not the powder load.

Just now, verla said:

You do not need magnum powder charges to shoot from the 27yd line. The only thing that will do is hurt your shoulder and possible disrupt your pattern.

1 oz 7­½  extra light for everything except handicap, there I use 7½ 1 1\8 federal paper 3 dram..... i`m AAA 27 AAA  and have zero issues smacking them with those loads, also my 2 chokes are full and ¨like a rifle¨ full  lol   But 8 is fine as well, 9 for skeet, shot with a good guy once who mixed 8 and 7½  then loaded it up, said it was one less thing to think about lol    Far more important is to have the gun shoot exactly where you look

Edited by Sinister4

• 3 weeks later...

I don't shoot skeet but I understand that #9 is the way to go.

For trap, I would be perfectly content with only shooting 1-1/8 oz #8 for everything.  Light for 16yd & 1st shot of doubles and Heavy for Caps and 2nd shot of doubles.

I've shot 7.5 and my scores are the same but my head tells me 8's are better and as we all know, the game in 90% between your ears.

• 7 months later...