Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P-09 Tuning Info

zhunter

Here is a photo of a mag I altered to resemble to contour of an SP-01 magazine. It has an SP-01 follower with P-09 spring. It requires the SP-01 follower as the P-09 follower is not tall enough with the lower cut to the tube. I feel this will help with reloading at speed. It feeds via hand cycling 100%. I'll live fire it next week.

post-4953-0-67736500-1441209096_thumb.jp

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interest is piqued!

Anyone know of a source for the followers beside CZ Custom? They are out of stock. If it works in live fire, I would like too run the same experiment on one mag as well, but I don't have an SP-01 to steal the follower from.

The main spring plug with the lanyard hammers the heel of your weak hand during a mag change. I cut mine off for now. I will order the P-07 plug later on. Last I checked neither CZ-USA or CZ Custom had any. But that was a few weeks ago.

Oddly enough, my new style P-07 had the lanyard style plug and it's not supposed too. Guess they have plenty of stock for the old style.

Very informative post here. So just for clarity, your initial decision to change out the main spring plug was based on aesthetics or function?

I felt is was just a matter of time before a mag got caught up on that lanyard ring is messed up a good run in a classifier.

I always look for possible was Mr. Murphy can be kept away

Out of curiosity, will any 75 or sp01 mags work in a p09? CZ or aftermarket.

What is the fit of a p09 into a sp01 holster?

SP-01 factory mags will work in a P-09, but not with the stock base pads. You need to swap to a thin base pad (i.e.: CZ rubber, thin metal, etc.). They lock in, feed fine, and lock the slide back on empty. The fit is a little loose so I would only use them for range use.

Thanks. Just wondering how much commonality there is before I go crazy getting stuff.

P-09 mags are expensive, but using SP-01 mags is not the way to go

I don't understand how people are reporting SP-01 mags to work in the P series guns. I tried running SP-01 mags in my P-07. It did feed fine when the mag wasn't falling out the gun every 2-3 shots.

Z,

Instead of modifying your magazines, why dont you just bevel your magwell?

Since i beveled mine, i havent had a mag hang up there at all.

Please post pics

I know there are rules regarding how much it can be beveled.

Here is some info on magwell beveling that might help with your reloads. This is via MAGZ who posted this on YOUTUBE.

I did it this morning and after very limited dryfire it seems to help reloads a lot.

current debate going on in another thread as to whether this is Production legal in USPSA.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217824

Eric

Still messing with springs and plugs as I had some sear bounce again in last night's match. This is very odd as I don't get this in practice sessions. I broke everything down this morning with all the different spring and plug configurations, I even added a new one with the plug retaining pin under the 07 plug rather than through hole. The pin under the 07 plug might be the answer as the trigger pull gauge was very close to the readings for the same spring with the 09 plug, I'll test it next week.

Going with the normal 09 plug for Sunday's match as it has a classifier and I don't want any issues.

Just remember, failures are good as they eliminate configurations and get you closer to success :)

Edited by zhunter

Weather forecast for the match was not good, so we made a trip to the local range today, only fired a few shots as my wife was practicing and were had bad weather coming it so I only got a few shots off.

I tried the pin under (rather that through the hole) using the P-07 plug with a 13# (CGW Blue) with Federal primers. It went bang every time, but did of course have a sear bounce. This was expected with the lighter hammer spring even with this congfiguration. I think this might be a good combination once the extra power sear spring arrives Tuesday.

CGW website says this sear spring adds 6-8 oz. on the SA trigger, but this will still get me under 3# so I might have hit the perfect combo.

Edited by zhunter

What we have observed in our shop on the CZC/CZ-UB is the hammer hooks are taller than the CGW 91000 performance hammer. The CGW Short Reset System for the P-09 is designed to work with a very short hammer hook height, in this case our 91000, so you get that 1911 or near 1911 like break we all love.

If your P-09 will not work with the CZC/CZ-UB hammer, the problem is most likely the hammer hook height. It's not that difficult to carefully lower the hooks on this hammer. I am confident Stuart at CZC, or CGW can help if needed.