Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P-09 Tuning Info

zhunter

Finally something useful to report! Sear experiments are showing promise.

Stoned the sear angle back a bit to get a bit more positive engagement, somewhere around a 2-4oz SA pull increase but no effect on sear bounce.

Then thinking sear bounce was probably a lot like valve float, I tried lightening the sear. Since the upper tab on the sear is only used for cocked and locked carry, I cut that off. I tried using a burr cutter on a Dremel to cut into the sear spring "foot" to make that lighter, but couldn't get as deep as I wanted. I'll probably re-attack that later if I can think of a different way. In all it's a 10% reduction in weight.

With the stock sear spring I went from very consistent hammer follow when racking the slide to sporadic, less than the stock sear and .018 spring. No follow with the lightened sear and .018 spring. Hopefully this storm doesn't shutdown the range tomorrow and I can give it a test run now that I have some Federal primers....

post-59794-0-80989400-1443752928_thumb.jpost-59794-0-27866400-1443752935_thumb.j

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the .018" sear spring and here are the results

DA 5# 14.0 oz.

SA 3# 0.7 oz.

I'll shoot it in a Live Fire practice tomorrow and post a report. Hopefully a Tursday night match will be the deciding factor. Obviously the .018 is a lot lighter than the .020

Found some more weight to cut out of the sear, 14.5% total reduction now. I also found the polymer was rubbing in the hammer channel which I think was contributing to the light strikes, a few minutes with some sand paper fixed it. 200rnds with no hammer follow; stock sear spring and gold hammer spring with no spacers. Not ready to call it a solution yet though.

zhunter, any idea why you were getting hammer follow in a match but not practice earlier on?

zhunter, any idea why you were getting hammer follow in a match but not practice earlier on?

I assume is it different grip pressure/tension. I'm guessing I grip harder in practice.

Headed to the range this morning

Pin through the 07 hammer plug as normal with the CGW gold 15# Hammer Spring, and the .018" CGW Extra Power Sear Spring

SA 3# 0.7oz.

DA 5# 14.0 oz.

Live fire practice today with a lot of it shooting stages so very much llike a match, gun ran 100%, not one sear bounce.

David at CGW nailed it with the .018" sear spring!!!!

I'm now dialed in and ready to rock.

Note: This is a FEDERAL primer only setup! I seat my primers really deep and tested it on Winchester primers and it was not 100%

For those that are not running federal primers but would want a better trigger on the P09 what would you suggest? I don't load and I either shoot AA or Freedom Munition.

Any guidance on where to start?

For those that are not running federal primers but would want a better trigger on the P09 what would you suggest? I don't load and I either shoot AA or Freedom Munition.

If you don't have gunsmithing experience, then look here... www.cajungunworks.com

If you have enough experience or the confidence to do the work yourself w/ aftermarket parts, then still look here... www.cajungunworks.com

There are lots of options, but this would be my first choice for the ammo/primers you are using.

Use the CGW gold 15# hammer spring in the 09 Plug and put up with the lanyard ring.

Think I've about had it with sear experimenting, got hammer follow again this past weekend. Oh well, zhunter's setup is nice.

If you can't stand the lanyard ring, .27 worth of spacers (#4 washers work, but you'll have to reduce the diameter) will get the spring compression with a P-07 plug to match a P-09 plug.

• 2 months later...

To keep things in one location for others, I'll add this here.

The issues I was having with the 13# spring were due to the polymer frame dragging on the hammer. Sanding that back a bit got me back to an 11.5# spring with the P-09 plug. I turned the plug around so the ring is a bit further away from the magwell.