Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger return spring?

biglou13

Mine just broke. Like many others have said it would. (yes I have been doing a lot of dry fire)

If it's a known issue/ weakness. Why didn't cz just man up and upgrade the spring at mfgr level?

Don't get me wrong I love my cz and am considering another.

I don't know if it is a known issue, but CZ sells a spare parts kit containing the following (for the 75)

• 1pcs MAGAZINE CATCH
  • 6pcs SLIDE STOP
  • 1pcs SEAR
  • 1pcs FIRING PIN
  • 3pcs EXTRACTOR
  • 1pcs FIRING PIN BLOCK STOP
  • 1pcs PIN 2x16
  • 1pcs PIN 3x20
  • 1pcs FIRING PIN SPRING
  • 3pcs EXTRACTOR SPRING
  • 1pcs FIRING PIN BLOCK SPRING
  • 3pcs RECOIL SPRING
  • 2pcs SLIDE STOP SPRING
  • 12pcs MAGAZINE SPRING
  • 1pcs TRIGGER SPRING
  • 1pcs MAGAZINE CATCH SPRING
  • 2pcs MAIN SPRING
  • 3pcs RECOIL SPRING GUIDE
  • 6pcs MAGAZINE BASE

The same kit (minus the firing pin block stop and spring and the 2 pins) is sold for the Shadow

So I suppose that anything that is more that 1 pc in the set, is prone to damage or has a known issue (just using common sense reasoning).

(of course it could have been weakened if you tend to dismantle the gun very often, but it will take some extreme angles and pressures to weaken it)

I too broke mine this past weekend. I do own a 75 Shadow also and had a spare TRS. not a huge issue to change out. they are cheap enough and so I will just change them in January every year.. just maintenance

Are you folks breaking the stock trs or the reduced weight trs ?

I have broken one of each. I change them periodically now just to prevent them from breaking. They're cheap enough that I would rather throw away springs before they break than have them break in the middle of a match or practice.

im glad i ordered 2.... now maybe thinking should have got more

Are you using the CGW part RP-TRS ?

How much longer did it last than stock ? Im trying to get a shot count before i need to change. or how often do you change

My stock trs only lasted 3 months, but with A LOT of dry fire. loose estimate 6-7K trigger cycles including range time.

Edited by biglou13

When my original broke within a few months of buying it, with regular dryfire, I swapped out with the cgw trigger return spring and haven't had an issue since, seems to be a bit more durable than the stock spring.

That's pretty much been my experience as well.

I have broken 3 in my shadow that has around 25k rounds through it and LOTS of dry fire. One stock spring and two of the cgw reduced power trigger return springs. Im gonna start changing them every 4 months or so. With the floating trigger pin you can swap it easily in a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have broken 1 stock and 2 CGW in 6 month, 3 days a week dry fire or live fire. They last average about 6 to 7k I wonder if something is wrong with my gun. CGW supposed last 20+k . Cz have a new return spring supposed last over 20k, anyone try it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my shadow for about 2 days... just got to put some actual ammo down range w/ it today and what do you know--->TRS broke today at about the 375 round mark. Mine was bought used reportedly w/ about 10k thru it, but I was told the TRS was recently replaced. Thankfully I already had a replacement spring on hand. I got it home and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to pop the pin out and replace the spring.... holy crap getting the stock pin back in was a PIA. Finally got it back together and I now have a CGW pin on its way. Hopefully this new TRS will last me a while. I will definitely keep a few on hand and replace them a few times a year or before any super important matches.

For those having issues with the TRS, I would suggest you temper/anneal the spring. Thoroughly degrease the spring, pre-heat an oven to 400 degrees (might want to wait for the little lady to go shopping one day) and put the spring in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove and allow it to air cool.

This has been shown to extend the life of springs.

• 1 month later...

For those having issues with the TRS, I would suggest you temper/anneal the spring. Thoroughly degrease the spring, pre-heat an oven to 400 degrees (might want to wait for the little lady to go shopping one day) and put the spring in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove and allow it to air cool.

This has been shown to extend the life of springs.

I read that you can run them through the oven cleaning cycle to temper. That's a higher heat, about 900F.

Running a new style CZ spring, grease it. Haven't had any issue.

I began greasing the trs after seeing how the first one broke. It was worn flat on the side where it rubbed the inside of the trigger. Greasing the second one increased the life by about 15,000 rounds.

The OEM trigger return spring broke on my Shadow Target after about 3k rounds - I replaced it with the Cajun Gun Works spring and its been good for thousands more. Def keep that spring and other important springs in your kit bag. Also, I highly recommend the trigger drift pin to help install if you're at a match.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like this is a common issue. The TRS in my first SP01 Accushadow after switching platforms from Glock broke after approx. 1k trigger pulls - 350 live fire, 700 dry fire DA pulls. I was looking forward to my first evening match at a local LGS followed by club matches on Sat and Sun. Decided to dry fire a few minutes before i left for my 1st match when the TRS broke. What a disappointment! I felt sick and pissed off. At first, i had no idea what happened since i wasnt familiar with the internals of a DA/DS pistol and had shot 20k+ rounds through my G34 without a single issue. Made me question the purchase. Did some investigating and realized this is the nature of the beast.

I will say that CZC promptly sent an upgraded TRS – just received it today and I’m looking forward to hitting the range through the long Thanksgiving holiday.

Seems like this is a common issue. The TRS in my first SP01 Accushadow after switching platforms from Glock broke after approx. 1k trigger pulls - 350 live fire, 700 dry fire DA pulls. I was looking forward to my first evening match at a local LGS followed by club matches on Sat and Sun. Decided to dry fire a few minutes before i left for my 1st match when the TRS broke. What a disappointment! I felt sick and pissed off. At first, i had no idea what happened since i wasnt familiar with the internals of a DA/DS pistol and had shot 20k+ rounds through my G34 without a single issue. Made me question the purchase. Did some investigating and realized this is the nature of the beast.

I will say that CZC promptly sent an upgraded TRS just received it today and Im looking forward to hitting the range through the long Thanksgiving holiday.

Sorry about your luck, I also came from a glock 34 and I could not be happier with the cz platform. It may take a bit more care and a little more difficult to work on, but luckily there is a ton of good diy's on here that helped me out. I also hear a lot about its the Indian not the arrow, but I can say that even though I still suck, I suck a lot less with the cz and it wasn't because of practicing more.