Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Senior (55+) Beginners

GunBugBit

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been shooting since I could walk, my Grandfather was a NRA instructor. Could not afford to compete till the kids were grown and on their own, so I started competing last year at age 53. Wish I could move around as fast used to, wish I had the hand strength and the younger eyes....but all the same I enjoy shooting USPSA, IDPA and 3 Gun when I can. AND I get to be a Official Senior next month. (not sure what becoming a "Senior" will mean...but there it is...)

Edited by DenverDave

Age 54 here...and getting my nerve/equipment together for first match soon.

Here's a little trick I'm going to try for my "old" right (dominent) eye.

1. Get pair shooting glasses. $15

2. Get pair of dollar store readers 2x, in my case. $1

3. Remove right lens from readers.

4. run small bead/few drops of "shoe glue" on edge of reader lens. $3
5. Insert reader lens into the inside of shooting glass lens (will stick but can adjust)

6. let sit overnight.

Ability to focus (old) dominant right eye on front sight again: priceless.

For those of you bold enough to say so, who entertains the possibility of making GM despite giving a lot of shooters a multi-decade head start?

I entertain the possibility for sure, but right now my goal is making M, and improving my match performances. I'll worry about GM when the time comes.

Age 54 here...and getting my nerve/equipment together for first match soon.

Here's a little trick I'm going to try for my "old" right (dominent) eye.

1. Get pair shooting glasses. $15

2. Get pair of dollar store readers 2x, in my case. $1

3. Remove right lens from readers.

4. run small bead/few drops of "shoe glue" on edge of reader lens. $3

5. Insert reader lens into the inside of shooting glass lens (will stick but can adjust)

6. let sit overnight.

Ability to focus (old) dominant right eye on front sight again: priceless.

Good idea! You can also get reader safety glasses. I custom ordered (for $25 or so) a pair of glasses with a .50 reader lense for my right eye, and uncorrected for my left. They allow me to get a sharp focus on the sight when needed without making the targets too blurry.

For those of you bold enough to say so, who entertains the possibility of making GM despite giving a lot of shooters a multi-decade head start?

My dreams are more along the lines of B class and regular bowel movements.

A balanced regimen of dry fire and Metamucil should get you there. :D

I guess this is where old farts say hello so here goes. I have been into action sports my whole life. I started with backpacking, rock climbing and mountaineering, then ski mountaineering, white water kayaking, rafting, and big wave paddle surfing, all at a pretty high level. Started skating vert when I turned 50 and still skate, surf, sup, and shoot my recurve on a regular basis. Now at 60, I have turned my attention to hanguns and this totally new world of learning. As a mechinical designer and innovation guy I have a deep appreciation for cool gear and think I might have stumbled into another version of gear heaven.

Over the years I have done a fair bit of teaching and coaching and can see at once the extremely high quality of information and thoughtful, courtious discourse on this forum. That BE is such a Buddha head is just over the top and makes me feel right at home. Having done my fair share of no-shit-there-I-was, hair ball adventure I can really appreciate how a little presence of mind can go a long way. Bought the t-shirt and gun lube straight away.

I have a ways to go figuring out how to get my new to me 2011 STI Tactical 45 to run right, not to mention learning how to be safe and shoot straight and run around all at the same time. But heck, I am in and look forward to the ride.

Thanks in advance for letting me play,

Rasyad

I'm getting real close to 66.

Started IDPA March of 2014. So at about 64 1/2.

Started USPSA April of 2015. So at about 65 1/2.

I'd been "shooting all my life" but with 20/20 hindsight was pretty raw when it came to action pistol.

And now I realize that I'll be pretty raw if I do any "action rifle" i.e. 3-gun or whatever the future brings.

Looking forward to that future. This is a gas!

PS: My wife who is currently... "not quite as old as I am"... and had much less background in firearms... got interested back around the first of the year and now she has about doubled the family ammo budget.

In less than a year she has gone from "what's an M&P?" to "can I get an APEX trigger kit for Christmas?".... lol!

It's good to see you guys chiming in and making yourselves known!

As a direction for this thread, I'll suggest having a topic of the week.

For this week: comment on whether you feel like you appreciate the competition shooting experience as someone who started at or above age 55, more than you might have if you had been doing it since you were much younger. Or, is it just a different kind of appreciation?

It's good to see you guys chiming in and making yourselves known!

As a direction for this thread, I'll suggest having a topic of the week.

For this week: comment on whether you feel like you appreciate the competition shooting experience as someone who started at or above age 55, more than you might have if you had been doing it since you were much younger. Or, is it just a different kind of appreciation?

I started in Bullseye at my college when I was 18. I was away from competition from my 20s through to my mid-50s. I definitely enjoy it more as a senior. I am sure part of it is that I feel like if I can compete and perform at average or better, I am well ahead of most seniors that ride the couch. I feel the same way biking and hiking. When I was young, all those activities were enjoyable but I took them for granted. I wasn't achieving anything that set me apart from other young men.

Edited by WaltonFeep

I started out shooting IDPA and stared shooting USPSA last year. I am 62 years old and I am consistently in the top three in IDPA matches. In USPSA I have a little more work to do. The shooters are much stronger in USPDA than in IDPA. I do hope to make Master in IDPA by the end of this year or next year at the latest. I still feel I have a lot of room left to grow in the sport. We have a gentleman in our IDPA league that is still shooting at 87 years of age. I told him I hope I am still alive by 87 if not shooting. He is not the top guy, but takes his time, is safe, and has a lot of fun.

• 4 weeks later...

First match a few months ago at 55, second match coming this weekend at age 56. Wish I had started earlier but I was pretty busy running racebikes through the banking at 190MPH+. I hope that my range visits exceed my middle-o-the-nite visits to the bathroom to pee soon.

• 4 weeks later...

My first post.

I'm 60 & I shot in some matches (XD40) about 5 years ago when I was 55, got into Palma and smallbore rifle competiton and am coming back after watching a USPSA match at our local range the other day. Sure a differnt game that hold those iron sites still on the 600-1000 yd targets (not that it happens with consistnecy :mellow: )

I have all the relaoding gear for 40SW yet everyone seemd to be shooting 9mm in the production class.

My first post.

I'm 60 & I shot in some matches (XD40) about 5 years ago when I was 55, got into Palma and smallbore rifle competiton and am coming back after watching a USPSA match at our local range the other day. Sure a differnt game that hold those iron sites still on the 600-1000 yd targets (not that it happens with consistnecy :mellow: )

I have all the relaoding gear for 40SW yet everyone seemd to be shooting 9mm in the production class.

You will not experience a single disadvantage shooting minor PF .40 compared to 9mm in Production division. Many, including me find downloaded .40 with a 180 projectile softer than 9mm in minor. Go forth and have fun. :-)

I think my plans have been pretty well advertised ... :)

But you're spending all of your time shooting Steel Challenge Open guns. Please go back to Production. I want to see you make it.

I gave up competitive hockey at 59, heart problems. I watched a few games after that, I thought we moved pretty well. Until then, boy were we slow. I started shooting at 65 so I have no aspersions of being competitive. But I am having fun. The few matches I've shot I am the slowest person out there. I'm getting better but still not good. Someone in the forum said that he could feel when things go right. I could feel that when I played, it just felt right. I don't know if I'll ever get there shooting, but I hope to. But I am having fun.

Jack

I started shooting competitively at 61 (I use the term "competitive" loosely :roflol: ) I know what it takes to be really competitive because one of my former careers was professional auto racing. I have a bunch of injuries that slow me down but the main reason I'm not more competitive is that I enjoy shooting and don't want to put the "work" that I know it would take to be competitive. I enjoy the shooting sports because it's better than sitting on the couch. I've had to tone down my competitive mental attitude and just enjoy myself. I plan on shooting until they put me in a box. :cheers:

Edited by Bkreutz

I certainly have a lot more popping/snapping noise from joints than I did a couple decades ago, and after watching the 20-30 group, know this is just for fun.

MY buddy says I need a 9mm cause he needs to sell his Glock 34, and old farts need less recoil - of course with a rifle I can humble him a little :D