Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Freedom Munitions 40 S&W

JohnH556

I had a lot of issues with their reman .40 in my XDm, but I know others that have had great success with it. I have gone to a different ammo supplier since, but Freedom certainly has their fans.

I had a lot of issues with their reman .40 in my XDm, but I know others that have had great success with it. I have gone to a different ammo supplier since, but Freedom certainly has their fans.

What kind of issues were you having? That's all I buy is the reman cause im cheap.

Edited by WidowsSon683

Not a big fan of thier ammo, either reman or new.

I don't have a .40, so have never shot that, but have shot thier 9 and 10mm and not very impressed. Their 10 is not even a warmed up .40.

My GF has a Kimber Micro and Sig P238 which eats any .380 ammo we feed it, all except for Freedom. Both guns literally choke on it.

Edited by PalmBeach1

What kind of issues were you having? That's all I buy is the reman cause im cheap.

Some of this was mag related because I ran into some issues with ammo until I replaced my mag springs. However, after doing so I still had failure to feeds, primers fall off, terrible accuracy. All of which disappeared when I switch ammo to someone else, only thing that didn't happen was a squib load. Given the rep of Freedom I was thoroughly disappointed with what I got. Some people I shoot with have never had a problem so I am hopeful my experience was unique. I also had a couple primers pop off on ignition with new .223 from them.

I am very happy with what I run now, but I will never buy Freedom again

I bought a couple cases of their "blaster" .40 for practice. I've not had any issues in either of my 2011s. They're a good bit stouter than my match loads, but I figure that's a good thing to practice with.

I've not had any issues with them and I've definitely shot my fair share (close to 5K probably?). Personally though, their loads for .40 are lacking in the OAL department (most of the ammo I've gotten has been about 1.122-1.126, which is pretty short compared to a lot of other ammo and "spec" OAL. I also don't like that their loads are well above PF and rather inconsistent at that. But that's my personal opinion and YMMV with what you get. I'm also not a fan of their customer service, or lack there of.

To answer your question, yes I've shot them and yes they did the job I needed them to do. But will I buy from them again? No.

> snip < Personally though, their loads for .40 are lacking in the OAL department (most of the ammo I've gotten has been about 1.122-1.126, which is pretty short compared to a lot of other ammo > snip <

That's interesting ... I bought 5 boxes to break in a new gun and get some startup brass to begin reloading the caliber ... and ... all the boxes test sampled at 1.125-1.127 except for the last one ... and as you can see in the photo the one being measured is 1.121 or so ... This was a shock to me so I actually measured about 20 of them and a few showed up a tad shorter ... none longer than 1.122.

Test rounds out of the first box chronoed 997 (OK ... 1000) and are a little hotter than "I" need to shoot in a match (180PF) ... but ... they all went bang and were not unpleasant to shoot.

They did their job inexpensively ... not bad if you need something to get your setup going.

post-61067-0-90020900-1440278572_thumb.j

I know lots of people like them, but I won't buy from them. They blew up one of my friend's guns and I know he's not the only one that's happened to...

Prior to my friend's gun KBing he talked me into trying some of their ammo since he loved it so much and it caused malfunctions in 2 different guns that both previously hadn't had a single malfunction.

Not sure about the .40 specifically, but I would chrono it to make sure you meet powerfactor. Last I remember, some of their 9mm weights dropped below minor PF.
It seems that they kind of slacked off on the QC department and started skimping on powder charges to keep up on supply with their growing demand.

I've shot about 4000 rounds of .40 Freedom reman through my Limited and SS guns. All of it chrono'd at major PF. Used it at SS Nats last spring and chrono'd 171PF, so no complaints in that department.

I have experienced 4-5 instances of rounds that did not have enough crimp and the bullet got pushed into the case which prevented feeding. Freedom's customer service was quite helpful and replaced the entire lot of ammo from which the defective rounds came.

X

I've shot about 4000 rounds of .40 Freedom reman through my Limited and SS guns. All of it chrono'd at major PF. Used it at SS Nats last spring and chrono'd 171PF, so no complaints in that department.

I have experienced 4-5 instances of rounds that did not have enough crimp and the bullet got pushed into the case which prevented feeding. Freedom's customer service was quite helpful and replaced the entire lot of ammo from which the defective rounds came.

[/quote

Out of my first box of 50 rds, I had two failure to feed for the same reason. I also called customer service and was offered the exchange.

I decided not to accept and shoot what I had left for practice only. I have not had a failure since.

If this is only short term until you get setup to load 40, I wouldn't put too much thought or effort into it. Just buy enough to break in the gun and get you to the point when you can start rolling your own. I don't reload (anymore) so I have a slightly different perspective.

I'm 200 rounds into a 500 round evaluation sample for 2 ss guns and 2 limited guns. This first pass was through the primary ss (~150 rounds) and 5" ltd (~50rnds) both AET barrels. Next time it'll be the backup ss and the 6" limited.

Both chrono'd a little hot: like 174PF for the SS gun and 176PF for the limited gun.

Without adjusting sights, it seemed to shoot a little low at ~15yds.

Zero failures on the SS gun. One curious failure to feed in the limited gun where one round did not chamber but flipped around backwards. (Yes, I'm sure I put it in facing the right way.) This is the first ever failure for this gun in about 6k of mostly Atlanta Arms reman 40 (OAL = 1.185) and a similar sample of Expansion Industries reman 40.

The AA chrono'd around 170PF through all four guns - though I didn't keep any records of the results. The Expansion chono'd fine - around 170PF in three of four guns. It chrono'd a little lite in my SV SS for some reason and dammit, I didn't keep records of that and now I wish I had.

Zero ammo related failures in any of the four guns with the AA (~13K) and the Expansion (another 500 rnd. sample).

Guns were sighted in for the AA and the Expansion shot close enough that I didn't notice a difference.

Expansion and Freedom are comparable for the same type of ammo. The AA reman is more expensive because of the jacketed projectile.