Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best CZ for Carry Optics

andersonj55126

What do you consider the best CZ to build a Carry Optics setup with 35oz weight limit?

Thoughts

-I am assuming that weight can be added to get as close as possible to 35oz by potentially adding heavy guide rod and/or mag base pads.

-Since sight radius is not important it seems that a short light slide may improve slide speed and cycle time.

-Longer barrel will allow getting PF with less powder and less flip/recoil?

Edited by andersonj55126

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted 75 Semi-Compact because that is likely the best.

I'm going to use a P-09 until the rules are finalized. If (hopefully when) the weight restriction is lifted I'll use the Shadows I already have set up waiting to go.

I'm going to use a P-09 until the rules are finalized. If (hopefully when) the weight restriction is lifted I'll use the Shadows I already have set up waiting to go.

If this division was in fact made to keep the polymer pistol guys happy, I don't see the weight limit going away.

If this division was in fact made to keep the polymer pistol guys happy, I don't see the weight limit going away.

The weight limit was a misguided ploy by a lame duck president to appease the polymer gun lobby for possible future sponsorship as spelled out by Phil himself. I'm just not sure if it was USPSA or Phil personally that the implied future sponsorship was promised.

The weight limit was a misguided ploy by a lame duck president to appease the polymer gun lobby for possible future sponsorship as spelled out by Phil himself. I'm just not sure if it was USPSA or Phil personally that the implied future sponsorship was promised.

When this comes up for review in January, the new pres is only one voice. The rest of the AD's were in favor of the current rules. I'd be very surprised if anything changes, other than to maybe extend the trial period .

Edited by pmt

There are a ton of beat up pre-b 75's on Gun Broker right now for cheap. I'm trying to resist the temptation.

I think the better question is what's the best bang for the buck mini-red dot. Considering the optic and machining will cost more than the blaster it's bolted to.

Considering the optic and machining will cost more than the blaster it's bolted to.

You must be looking in all the wrong places for machining services, sir. ;)

Oh, and IMO the Burris FF III is very, very hard to beat at its price. You can find them for $225-$250 new.

Edited by bruceg

So here's a little food for thought. This comes with the caveat that I've only been a gamer for 1.5 seasons.

If we adhere to the weight limit, why would one go for a smaller gun (shorter barrel) since sight radius doesn't make a difference? 35oz is 35oz regardless of which pistol is in your hands, right? I mean we're not talking about production where the SP01 has 10oz over the P09.

But a longer barrel of the P09 would let one do a slightly softer load and get the same PF. Less powder equal less flip, right?

P09 4.53" barrel (non-threaded model)

75 Compact 3.80" barrel

Thoughts?

Only advantage that a shorter gun would have over a longer gun would be a hair faster on your transitions. Shorter is pretty much always quicker between transitions...of course, we're talking a matter of 1-2" here, not several inches like with rifles.

I think the people who win this class will be people shooting guns that are comfortable to them (obviously) and getting enough range time in to seriously get acquainted with slide ride optics rather than pick apart which gun will be just that much better than the next one.

I received one of those beat up 75s yesterday. It came from a dealer called Mach 1 in Knoxville.

The finish is well seasoned but the action is butter smooth and the barrel is good. Test fired last night-accuracy is as good as new.

Only advantage that a shorter gun would have over a longer gun would be a hair faster on your transitions. Shorter is pretty much always quicker between transitions...of course, we're talking a matter of 1-2" here, not several inches like with rifles.

I think the people who win this class will be people shooting guns that are comfortable to them (obviously) and getting enough range time in to seriously get acquainted with slide ride optics rather than pick apart which gun will be just that much better than the next one.

+1. I'm a complete competition novice, but I've learned quite a bit just from reading on these forums. I've learned that the tool can make a difference. But the shooter will definitely make the difference. To equate it to something else, my good friend used to be into street racing cars back in the day. He was very good. Hence, he spent a lot of his hard earned money to upgrade the various parts, sort of like in The Fast and Furious movies. There was a time when his car was in the shop for quite a while, but he continued to race with other racers' cars, even if they weren't as fast or as upgraded as his own. Of course, he would outrace others based on his skill, even if the other drivers had "faster" cars on paper. I asked him once why he spent so much money to upgrade his car knowing he could outdrive his competition. Basically, he said that it's impossible to drive perfectly every race. There comes and time when the equipment can make a difference and make up for faults. So, why not give himself the most advantage possible, especially when money was on the line. Long story, but you get the point.

My friend hasn't raced in a long time. He golfs now...with crappy clubs no less. Go figure.

But a longer barrel of the P09 would let one do a slightly softer load and get the same PF. Less powder equal less flip, right?

P09 4.53" barrel (non-threaded model)

75 Compact 3.80" barrel

Thoughts?

The CZ P-09 Suppressor Ready has a barrel length of about 5.25". I am assuming that would be legal for division.

Considering the optic and machining will cost more than the blaster it's bolted to.

Oh, and IMO the Burris FF III is very, very hard to beat at its price. You can find them for $225-$250 new.

You can get a Leupold Deltapoint in that price range as well.

You can get a Leupold Deltapoint in that price range as well.

I personally can't stand the original Deltapoints. The tiny torx screws are entirely too easy to strip, optic has to be removed to replace battery... I just think the whole design of the optic is poor IMO. That said, if you're okay with that, they are solid and reliable optics.

Has anybody had a B-series pistol milled for an optic? I know I've seen people get non-Bs milled, but not ever any Bs. I am concerned that the FPB may limit how far down one can mill the cutout for the optic.

I am seriously considering picking up another 75 Compact and having it milled, but don't want to waste the money if I can't actually accomplish that. I would likely be going with a Deltapoint (would like a RMR, but no way is that going to fit on a traditional CZ slide).

IMO, it's going to be quite hard to make weight with a full size frame - and probably impossible with a full size everything (plastic guns excluded). My personal 75 Compact weighs in at 33.8 oz with an unloaded mag. Depending on the choice of optic and the amount of milling performed, that's going to be running pretty darn close to the edge.

Has anybody had a B-series pistol milled for an optic? I know I've seen people get non-Bs milled, but not ever any Bs. I am concerned that the FPB may limit how far down one can mill the cutout for the optic.

I am seriously considering picking up another 75 Compact and having it milled, but don't want to waste the money if I can't actually accomplish that. I would likely be going with a Deltapoint (would like a RMR, but no way is that going to fit on a traditional CZ slide).

IMO, it's going to be quite hard to make weight with a full size frame - and probably impossible with a full size everything (plastic guns excluded). My personal 75 Compact weighs in at 33.8 oz with an unloaded mag. Depending on the choice of optic and the amount of milling performed, that's going to be running pretty darn close to the edge.

The depth of the fbp cut is the limiting factor of how deep you can mill for the red dot on all fpb equipped CZ'S. You can go just past how deep the rear sight dovetail is cut, so you can still get the dot down pretty low to the bore axis like you want. Edited by bruceg

I would vote for the 85c but the current weight is 35.2oz on the USPSA production list. I am not sure you can make weight. If someone could prove they made weight with the it. It would essential be like having a Shadow trigger with a red dot. Plastic guns can eat it. :cheers: