Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best CZ for Carry Optics

andersonj55126

I would vote for the 85c but the current weight is 35.2oz on the USPSA production list. I am not sure you can make weight. If someone could prove they made weight with the it. It would essential be like having a Shadow trigger with a red dot. Plastic guns can eat it. :cheers:

It will make weight with the right sight and grips

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be really, really close.

I just took two of my normal 75Bs and put them on the scale with an unloaded mag. One is right at 35 oz and the other is 34.8 oz.

But a longer barrel of the P09 would let one do a slightly softer load and get the same PF. Less powder equal less flip, right?

P09 4.53" barrel (non-threaded model)

75 Compact 3.80" barrel

Thoughts?

The CZ P-09 Suppressor Ready has a barrel length of about 5.25". I am assuming that would be legal for division.

It should be. With the 35oz limit, the added length should come close, but don't think it'll go over.

It's going to be really, really close.

I just took two of my normal 75Bs and put them on the scale with an unloaded mag. One is right at 35 oz and the other is 34.8 oz.

I'm pretty sure the shorter beavertail on the 85 plus the milling will get it done. Also, which grips were you weighing? There is a grip out there that is lighter

I'm pretty sure the shorter beavertail on the 85 plus the milling will get it done. Also, which grips were you weighing? There is a grip out there that is lighter

These are standard 75Bs, so no difference in the frame. If anything, an 85C will be heavier owing to the lack of a FPB. If I feel like it later, I'll take apart my two SP-01s to get some real-world numbers on the difference in weight between a FPB slide and a FPB-less slide.

One of those 75Bs had wood, and the other stock plastic grips. I grabbed the wood one and reweighed it without any grips at all - 33.8 oz.

Keep in mind those weights are with a flush-fit mag; an SP-01 mag will be heavier, and using custom basepads would add even more. I know the IDPA guys sometimes use the limited-capacity 10 rounders as they are even lighter, having a shorter metal tube with plastic filler. And that's kind of my point - one could probably make weight with the full-size, but it will be a constant struggle, and you would likely be a bit worried each time you had to weigh in at chrono, as even a slight unexpected variation in the match scale could push you over.

I would prefer to be able to use whatever mags and basepads I want, whatever grips I want, and go into chrono knowing that I'm well under the weight. Similar to my personal preference for managing weight in SS and making PF overall.

BTW - One full-size, all-steel CZ could make weight for this with little or no problem - the original. My short-rail weighs in around 33 oz. But I would never desecrate one of those precious pistols.

...lighter parts like the aluminum thin grips...

The aluminum grips add significant weight. I still have a set lying around - putting them on my 75Bs pushes them well over the 35oz limit.

The normal weight-loss grips are either plastic or super-thin wood.

One of the big remaining variables, of course, is how much weight is actually lost in milling for an optic. For the 85C or a Shadow, we could probably get a ideas, as I have seen Shadows out there with dots mounted. For a B model, it appears we still have yet to conclusively determine how much we can even mill out of one. (There's some guesses, but I have yet to find anybody that has actually done it or had it done.)

ETA : I just went and got numbers for the other remaining unknown - FPB versus non-FPB. I don't have a 85C, but I do have both a normal SP-01 and a SP-01 Shadow. The Shadow slide assembly is heavier by 0.35 oz - presumably, an 85C slide is heavier than a 75B slide by the same amount.

Edited by Walküre

These are the grips, Shooting Sports Innovationshttp://shootingsportsinnovations.com/CZ-SCALES-RED-CZRED001.htm

Those are still pretty heavy - 1.48 oz, over twice the stock plastic grips.

(The CZC aluminum grips are 1.65 oz. The stock plastic grips are 0.70 oz, and the rubber ones are 2.25 oz.)

Stock plastic are a non-starter!

A thrown brick would be best, the carry optics divison is just the result of an effort by S&W and Glock to sell the new M.O.S. and C.O.R.E. guns. They need a "tactical open" division that allows virtually anything on a polymer framed or compact pistol with drop-leg holsters, etc. Would make more sense than a compact-production, optics-ready division

Tested my tuned P-09 trigger today. Using CGW parts, no polishing, 11.5# hammer spring to get it at DA 5.21# and 2.11# SA with Extended firing pin. It set off Winchester primers 100%. I load on a 1050 and seat the primers very deep.

Tested my tuned P-09 trigger today. Using CGW parts, no polishing, 11.5# hammer spring to get it at DA 5.21# and 2.11# SA with Extended firing pin. It set off Winchester primers 100%. I load on a 1050 and seat the primers very deep.

Very nice. The DA will probably drop to under 5lbs after a few thousands rounds and dryfire. Are you using the CZ UB P-09 Comp Hammer?

What do the VZ grips weigh?

Also remember that you can remove the notch and post sights so that should buy you a little weight.

If stuck with the plastic grips you could modify them by sanding them down and giving them a glue and grit job treatment.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going with a CZ75 compact PCR with the 7075 aluminum frame for CO. I have a mill so I will be building this one myself and mounting a rmr green 9moa dual illuminated model. I have the parts from cajun gunworks sitting in my workshop for an excellent trigger even with the decocker.

Oh and this gun will actually be my carry gun from now on so yeah its the real "carry optics" deal :D

Edited by MrPostman