Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best CZ for Carry Optics

andersonj55126

The 85C will make weight. you can mill the slide down to about 0.010-0.015 above the firing pin channel(1/4") and 2" from the back of the slide. This should remove about 2oz. There are also some places on the inside of the frame that weight can be removed. My stock 85C duel tone weights 32.5oz with no mag. with a 10 round mag it is 35.1oz, with a 16round mag 35.8oz. a DeltaPoint weights .95oz, the new DeltaPoint Pro weights 1.95oz. So it will make weight. No SP01 Shadow will make weight!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 85C will make weight. you can mill the slide down to about 0.010-0.015 above the firing pin channel(1/4") and 2" from the back of the slide. This should remove about 2oz. There are also some places on the inside of the frame that weight can be removed. My stock 85C duel tone weights 32.5oz with no mag. with a 10 round mag it is 35.1oz, with a 16round mag 35.8oz. a DeltaPoint weights .95oz, the new DeltaPoint Pro weights 1.95oz. So it will make weight. No SP01 Shadow will make weight!

Do you have a pic of that ?

people have been removing material from inside the frame for years

I am sure this is true, there isn't anything in the rules regarding production division minimum weight, only that the gun may not weigh more than 2 ounces over stock weight.

Carry optics division is different where the gun may not weigh more than 35 ounces with a mag inserted, so if you are cutting weight by machining the interior of the frame then my point is valid. I am sure they will put in the rule book to keep the plastic fantastic gun makers happy and the steel unicorns out of the division.

people have been removing material from inside the frame for years

I am sure this is true, there isn't anything in the rules regarding production division minimum weight, only that the gun may not weigh more than 2 ounces over stock weight.

Carry optics division is different where the gun may not weigh more than 35 ounces with a mag inserted, so if you are cutting weight by machining the interior of the frame then my point is valid. I am sure they will put in the rule book to keep the plastic fantastic gun makers happy and the steel unicorns out of the division.

I disagree because the current rule book states it is impossible to enforce any rule that limits internal modifications that is not external visible. See Production appendix rule 21.1. I see were your coming from but I see no way to enforce it effectively.

• 2 weeks later...

My Compact top end is done.

As it sits, it all weighs in at 33 oz even. That is still with factory plastic grips and a plastic guide rod, but with a SP-01 magazine. I may have to go to using 16- or 14-rounders instead of the 18s depending on how those two items end up working out.

A bit more can be taken off of the slide for an 85C - as the optic could sit lower, the FPB on my Compact limiting the depth - but that would not really be that much. And the 85C slide is going to be heavier than a 75B slide to start with, so it's probably a wash. But remember that I'm running a Compact, and I'm already at 33 oz, with a 85C will have both a heavier frame and a heavier slide (owing to it being full size).

As it sits, it all weighs in at 33 oz even. That is still with factory plastic grips and a plastic guide rod, but with a SP-01 magazine. I may have to go to using 16- or 14-rounders instead of the 18s depending on how those two items end up working out.

A bit more can be taken off of the slide for an 85C - as the optic could sit lower, the FPB on my Compact limiting the depth - but that would not really be that much. And the 85C slide is going to be heavier than a 75B slide to start with, so it's probably a wash. But remember that I'm running a Compact, and I'm already at 33 oz, with a 85C will have both a heavier frame and a heavier slide (owing to it being full size).

Did you get a weight before getting the slide cut for optics? Any idea on how much weight you removed from the slide?

Did you get a weight before getting the slide cut for optics? Any idea on how much weight you removed from the slide?

I did not. However, I have a second Compact - I just weighed it, and in the same configuration (same grips, same mag), it comes out at 32.8 oz. So running a Deltapoint, it appears you can nearly break even.

Pictures please. Who did the slide milling?

Pistol is currently back at my local smith for follow-up on some action work after a couple of light strikes today, so I can't get pictures. Also was waiting to take photos until I actually have it in its "final form" with new grips and all.

I ended up having Tooth & Nail Armory do the milling; they also supplied the Deltapoint, which really sealed the deal.

Healey_0230_zps771405ea.jpg

This picture shows a deltapoint milled much lower into gun. Is this do to the lack of firing pin block on this Shadow?

Yep.

The FPB is what limits how deep you can go on basically every slide out there that is FPB equipped. Which is the very vast majority of them.

Well it seems like you can still mill the same depth if you do the milling in front of the FPB channel. The only issues doing this is that the extractor pin has less material on the top of the slide to hold the extractor in and the sight is more likely to get powder residue on the lens since it is now closer to the breech.

Well it seems like you can still mill the same depth if you do the milling in front of the FPB channel. The only issues doing this is that the extractor pin has less material on the top of the slide to hold the extractor in and the sight is more likely to get powder residue on the lens since it is now closer to the breech.

Depending on what optic is being used, there's just not enough room behind the breech face for that.

21923693626_bec576e459_o.jpg

Not yet in its final form - going to be getting some other grips for sure, and haven't settled on which mags to run. Pictured with a factory 16-rounder using a factory SP-01 basepad.

This looks like the optical is almost already clear of FPB because it is mounted toward the breech.

Depending on what optic is being used, there's just not enough room behind the breech face for that.

That is true, not all will fit. It would need to be a short one to work. It looks like my RMR would fit and possibly a few others in the 1.5 inch long range.

This looks like the optical is almost already clear of FPB because it is mounted toward the breech.

It is exactly at the forward edge of the FPB cut, actually just edging into it, at the same depth as the extent of the cut. There is still a decent gap between the front of the optic and the extractor pin, so no interference there at all. You could potentially slide the optic a little more forward to get more depth.

On the other hand, if it were any further rearward, then the optic would be the only thing holding the block in, as the part of the slide over the FPB would be milled away. With a bottom-loading-battery optic (like my Deltapoint), I don't think that would be the best idea (as you would then have moving parts pressing against the battery), but it would probably be okay for those optics that are top- or side-loading. Sure, I would've liked it a bit further back, but to me it's worth it to not have to worry about interfering with the FPB (or anything else).

I think the height is absolutely fine and have absolutely zero complaints in that regard. I really don't care one way or another if it were that little bit lower or not.

Regarding an RMR... what is the actual CTC measurement for its mounting bolts? I've always got the impression that the RMR has the widest "stance" of any of the popular choices as far as mounting is concerned - it sure looks that way. It would seem to me that the mounting demands might actually be a bit too wide for a standard CZ slide, but I haven't had the chance to compare in person nor could I find any definitive numbers when I was deciding what route to take.

This picture shows a deltapoint milled much lower into gun. Is this do to the lack of firing pin block on this Shadow?

This is my shadow. It is milled as low as you can go. I now have a 85C & a Deltapoint pro being shipped to me. So in the next couple of weeks I will be building a 85C for Carry Optics.

This is my shadow. It is milled as low as you can go. I now have a 85C & a Deltapoint pro being shipped to me. So in the next couple of weeks I will be building a 85C for Carry Optics.

With the narrow 75 series slide, did you have any problems with the Delta screws being too close to the edge of the slide? I was told not to do it as it might not be durable enough as there would be very little material outside the screw of the dot.

With the narrow 75 series slide, did you have any problems with the Delta screws being too close to the edge of the slide? I was told not to do it as it might not be durable enough as there would be very little material outside the screw of the dot.

Looks like plenty of material to me; there have also been a number of CZ Open blasters around with DPs mounted that way for a while, and I never heard of any failures in that mode. But that was exactly my concern regarding a RMR, as it appears to have a wider spacing for its mounting screws.