Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Astigmatism Problem for Open Division?

Savagesweat

I know a lot of guys try shooting open for no other reason than their eyes are getting old and a red dot is easier to shoot than iron sights. However, if somebody has any problem with an astigmatism, I would expect the red dot to blur enough that precision shooting is impossible.

Since I see very little discussion of this on the forum, I wonder if somehow this is a non-issue for you guys. Blasting at short range would probably be easy, even with a blurred dot, but any shots at distance have got to be a real challenge. Am I wrong?

Are there ways for guys with an astigmatism to get around the blurry dot problem on open pistols?

Hello: I have astigmatism in my left eye and I am right eye dominate. I do shoot with both eyes open. I have recently gone to a smaller dot size and have noticed it has helped me. I am more target focused and don't seem to have a problem with longer shots. I also think getting good lenses in your sunglasses helps also. I have played with different Rudy Project lens colors over the years and finally have ones I like. I do change lens colors for different types of ranges and altitude. I am almost to the point now where I may need some corrective lenses for shooting. I have noticed this more with my shotgun shooting than with the pistol or rifle. As for the blurry dot you may have to turn your dot down a little or change out the module. I run C-More slide rides on my open guns with a 6MOA dot for now. I will be testing a 4 and a 8 after the state match. Thanks, Eric

I have astigmatism and wear progressive lenses for open.

If I focus on the dot, I can tell but in open it is all about keeping the focus on the target and with a target focus I never notice any blur.

why don't you get glasses/contacts to correct it? I've had an astigmatism for 30 years that has been easily corrected with contacts/glasses .... my dot is laser sharp all the time ....

Edited by Nimitz

I do not notice any sparkle effect with cmore's, deltapoints, etc...

I *do* notice it slightly with eotech's, but its barely something I am aware of unless I look at the dot, which I never really do anyways.

I shoot quite alot of 25/50 yards for icore and have been using for some time a 2 MOA dot in my cmore.

edit...astigmatism in both eyes, the world is all fuzzy without glasses for me.

Edited by seanc

Same here, I went to a 1-6 on my rifle instead of an Eotech. I get a slight star burst, but mostly a slight double image (Dr calls it Ghosting ).

Been trying to get contacts that work since Feb. so far nothing that's enough better to put up with the hassle.

If this next (LAST) set don't do it , I'm going to get glasses instead.

Bad astigmatism here. In fact I have a cornea disease call keratoconus. This means due to my badly misshapen cornea my vision is different looking through different parts of my eye. Makes iron sight shooting (even with corrective glasses) frustrating. The corrective lenses only help a little. Things are still somewhat fuzzy and worse not 100% consistent if I move my head.

Switching to open has been fantastic. Yes crap vision is still a bit of a drawback compared to shooters with great vision but it's not nearly as wide a gulf as it was using irons.

As mentioned above you are mainly 'looking' at the target and bringing the dot to the spot on the target your eyes are at. Once the dot hits that spot you release the shot and your head/eyes race ahead of the gun to the next target. On longer shots I am more 'aware' of the dot but typically in ipsc a 50 yard shot is still going to have a large piece of a zone for us to hit. :)

I do miss irons and wish I could shoot them even somewhat competetively but that's not the case right now. Open levels the vision playing field quite a bit.

I've shot production for a while, going form irons to a dot with a heavy astigmatism was a blessing. I generally see 2 guns with both eyes open where i had to can't my head to the left (right handed/left eye dominant) now shooting open it makes it MUCH easier to track the dot and get on target even with 2 red dot sight pictures. It took me a long time to get used to it but now i can differentiate which is my actual gun lol.

I use an 8 MOA dot and it looks perfectly round through my prescription shooting glasses, which also correct for astigmatism. If I shoot without the glasses, the dot is distorted, but still quite usable.

I have an astigmatism in both eyes, and contacts to correct for it. The contacts help a little, but not 100%. My EoTech reticle does get fuzzy, and turning the brightness down helps. The brighter my reticle is, the more blurry it becomes, so setting the brightness to no more than necessary is essential. Shots past 100 or 150 yards just become difficult to me, as depending on the sunlight, I just can't always distinguish the target behind the dot. I have resigned myself to getting a 1-6x scope to give my eyes some help on those longer shots.

Always been soft. What issues do you introduce with hard?

I never seen a clear dot. Used a Core with 6 and Johnny Lim glare shield. Stay away from tube scopes - it gets worse.

I have bad eyesight too, so bad I have to wear the gas permeable lenses. If I did not pay the extra money for thinner lenses for my glasses they would look like coke bottle bottoms.

I can not shoot limited as much as I want too. I tried and even took a class to try and get better. My eyes just can not focus fast enough to do that. I tried with my contacts and with my corrective lenses, no bueno.

So, I shoot open with a 4moa. When I am tired at the end of the day it does get fuzzy but in the morning when I am fresh it looks great. I also had RK surgery in 91 and I believe that is the cause of the blurriness when I am tired, cause I also see stars around lights.

Uncorrected my dot turns into a line. I got contacts and it's perfect now.

I can't get contacts that work, been trying a different set about every 2-3 weeks for 6 months. Nothing :(

The ones I get are "for astigmatism"... not sure if that makes a difference?

Uncorrected my dot turns into a line. I got contacts and it's perfect now.

I can't get contacts that work, been trying a different set about every 2-3 weeks for 6 months. Nothing :(

The ones I get are "for astigmatism"... not sure if that makes a difference?

SO were/are the one I've tried. Don't know why but it's

Vision Ok

Blink

Blurry

Blink blink

OK

Blink

Blurry

Many times while looking through an optic.

it's clear, and then I can see the dot turn from crisp, to ghosting a double image.

Blink and we're back to the above.

Like I told the Doc

" If it's this hard to have slightly better vision, I'll take the previous"

I don't have time to see at 1/3 speed.