Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any reason not to run a 2.25# trigger?

ArrDave

Finally got my gunsmith to tune the trigger on my Valor. The only parts I needed was a Nowlin sear spring and a Caspian Trik Trigger (because I wanted it). Anyway, he came back with a 2 lbs 4 oz trigger job. He's tested it, it's safe. Is there a compelling reason not to run the trigger that light?

Nope, not as long as you are comfortable with it.

The DW guns come with very good components, and the trigger group is no exception. I have a PM9 and one of the first things I did was tweak the trigger using standard trigger tuning techniques. Got it down to 2 pounds, but for a single stack wanted something a tad heavier so adjusted it up to the 2.25- 2.50 pound range. Very happy with the feel of the trigger. I also replaced the trigger with a Caspian Trik trigger (personal preference) and replaced the sear spring which was not necessary, but I wanted to retain the stock one unmolested for resale - just in case.

The Valor is a nice looking gun and should work great for you.

Im not sure why DW doesn't offer a 40 and 45 with the same features as the PM9 (front strap checkering, adjustable sights, fiber optic front sight). If they did I'd buy one in a heatbeat.

I use to run a 2# trigger all the time. But over time I've learned to grip the gun properly and I find a Just over 3# is perfect.

Im not sure why DW doesn't offer a 40 and 45 with the same features as the PM9 (front strap checkering, adjustable sights, fiber optic

front sight). If they did I'd buy one in a heatbeat.

I hear you there. I called DW and ask why in the world would you offer front strap checkering on the 9mm and not the .45???? They said the custom shop could do it.????

I use to run a 2# trigger all the time. But over time I've learned to grip the gun properly and I find a Just over 3# is perfect.

Im not sure why DW doesn't offer a 40 and 45 with the same features as the PM9 (front strap checkering, adjustable sights, fiber optic

front sight). If they did I'd buy one in a heatbeat.

I hear you there. I called DW and ask why in the world would you offer front strap checkering on the 9mm and not the .45???? They said the custom shop could do it.????

I sent them an email asking the same question.

With respect to trigger pull, I was doing fine when it was stock at 4.25, we'll see how it runs at 2.25. I guess there is no need to stage the trigger anymore for longer shots... I'll see how it goes.

The reason would be that generally speaking, triggers down around 2# won't last.

That's simply not true. Yeah, the guys that use 15 and 17 lb mainsprings to get the weight down tend to have problems after a while. But that's not the way a knowledgeable smith gets a good, reliable, long-lasting trigger. I run 23 lb mainsprings and my triggers are around 1.75 lb. And several have 30k+ rounds through them.

The reason would be that generally speaking, triggers down around 2# won't last.

That's simply not true. Yeah, the guys that use 15 and 17 lb mainsprings to get the weight down tend to have problems after a while. But that's not the way a knowledgeable smith gets a good, reliable, long-lasting trigger. I run 23 lb mainsprings and my triggers are around 1.75 lb. And several have 30k+ rounds through them.

I have had a 17 lb main in my 9 and 40 for years and never had an issue.

I run a 19 in my .45.

A 23 lb main spring is excessive. A 19 at most will be 100% reliable even with the hardest of primers.

I run a 19 in my .45.

A 23 lb main spring is excessive. A 19 at most will be 100% reliable even with the hardest of primers.

I've got the stock MS on my Valor, which is a 19.

Knowledgeable being the operative word. Knowledgeable gunsmiths, REAL knowledgeable gunsmiths are a rare find. Even they say its hard to do.

Could someone tell me what the dis-advantages of light mainsprings actually are? Many of the folks here will agree that properly set up pistols will set off most any primer with a 17# spring. I would guess most of the open guys are running 15# springs.

23# springs were fine for military use, I suppose to accommodate any variation in mass produced ammo.

I run a 19 in my .45.

MS weight is not just about reliable ignition. It also affects trigger feel, barrel timing, recoil spring weight, etc.. So to say 23 lb is overkill b/c 17 lb provides reliable ignition is a very simplistic view and overlooks all the other issues. The point I was trying to make is that a good, durable trigger job depends far more on parts preparation and setup, than switching to lighter springs with marginal work on the other stuff, which is extremely common. Doing it right takes time, effort and skill.

When you say RUN IT, I hope you mean compete with it. Not carry it or anything like that.

Last week I was shooting with a very experienced shooter and his factory Kimberly went full auto. I'm glad it was him and not several of the other guys at the match. He did a GREAT job of keeping the barrel down into the berm until it ran out of ammo. Thankfully it was a 1911 and not a 2011.

Anyway,he said it was all factory parts, he'd been shooting it for years. It had a 2.5 # trigger before this happened. He said.

I don't know enough to know if that is all true. But I do know what can happen when a very light trigger wears out. I would be very conscious of wear and stay on top of your maintenance. Also make sure that the light trigger is worth the risk (if any). Is it improving your splits? Better follow up times? Then run with it. If not, maybe a safer, 3 or 3.5# is a better solution. Just my 2 cents.

I have 2 DWs (PM9 & SSC) and have had the triggers tuned to 2.5 lbs. The smith who did mine did not change the mainsprings. For competition, for me, this is an improvement over the factory triggers which were about 4 lbs. The only times I've seen issues with ADs etc. it has been with sub-2# triggers, many of which were done by inexperienced smiths.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone PM me the contact info for a gunsmith who can get my 1911 9mm down to a RELIABLE 2.5 - 2.75#? Thanks.

Go see Derrick at Palm Beach Shooting Center. He is a builder of custom guns, so I am sure he can handle this for you.

Yep. If you only put your finger on the trigger when you are shooting, then 2 lbs is fine. My trigger is right around 2.5 lbs and I can feel the creep when I shoot it these days. When you are not actively shooting, you must teach yourself to remove your finger from the trigger and lock it firmly against the receiver. If you do this, you will love a 2lb trigger. I know I thoroughly love mine.