Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What case tumbler to get?

I've got a 3 yr old hornady and it's terrible. The container is separating where it was pressed together. I've got duct tape holding it together. I think I'll go wine Lyman next and maybe a backup Frankford arsenal.

This is my tumbler as well. Same problem too. Love that duct tape. It's works well as long as I don't over load it, just doesn't look good with the tape on it.

Wet tumbling seams like extra work to me.

HotRod

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree about wet tumbling seeming like extra work. Draining then drying don't appeal to me since I like to take my brass directly from the tumbler to the container I store it in and stash it away.

I recently bought some new media being offered by East Coast Arsenal and it's the best I've used, and I've used a lot of different things. It's treated so I'm no longer adding NuFinish or brass polish and except for the primer pockets, after 3-4 hours it comes out looking like it was brand new. I've used it 4-5 times so far and haven't noticed any degradation in cleaning. The 20/40 grit size is also small enough that it doesn't get stuck in the flash holes. Great stuff.

https://eastcoastarsenal.com/product/treated-corn-cob-media/

Edited by tcoz

I too thought the extra steps in wet tumbling would be a hassle, however I think now it's not really a big deal at all. First off, I can do a lot more brass at once, the FA unit does about 2 and half times as much brass as my FA dry tumblers ( each of which did more than large Dillon could ever do, and did a better job too), sifting/rinsing, same amount of time spent here, no more dust, as in zero, zilch, nada, which is very important to me as I am slowly reducing my lead count, and finding toxic levels of it in my spare bedroom, 3 floors up, was a bit concerning, and lastly, drying, yeah it is a bit annoying, but if I am on a cleaning binge, I'm drying while cleaning anyhow. So it only adds maybe 30 minutes on to the end of a batch of cleaning. End result is totally clean brass, as good as or better than new, and that includes range brass that is really tarnished that dry tumbling simply won't touch unless you load it down with brass polish. 1 tablespoon of laundry detergent (waaay easier to rinse off than dish detergent) and 1/2 a teaspoon of Lemishine or JetDry per 30lbs of cleaning. I use the cheapest detergent I can get, and hot water.

slavex, I would agree with you if I had large amounts of brass to do but I'm kinda anal about cleaning brass each time I go to the range so I'm always dealing with small quantities. That being said, you know how us reloaders are.....I'll probably get a bug up my butt one of these days to try it and I'll love it. Thanks for the info.

yeah doing small amounts of brass it might be more of a PITA than it's worth. Buuuuutttt, in that case check around for used rock tumblers at your local pawn shops or flea markets. Toss in a pound or two of the stainless pins and you could probably do 2-300 brass at a time. Then just throw in the dryer if you have a shoe rack for it.

what finally sold me on wet tumbling was a buddy cleaning some Lapua rifle brass of mine that had leached ink from the box on them (rag with solvent against the box caused it). Nothing I did would get the ink off, and it was more like tar really. But 30 minutes or something in his wet tumbler and even the head stamps were clean. I used a universal decapping die to deprime them so of course even the primer pockets were perfect.

I have been using the Harbor Freight 5lb vibratory cleaner for years. Use the coupon and if they are on sale they become very cost effective.

I am sure there are a few boos out there but if you look at all of the vibratory cleaners you can see that there are likely only a couple shops in the far east that make these things for all the brands. Sure, they just use different color plastic and maybe different cover over the motors - but they are one in the same. They all work until they don't and some work a long time.

If and when this one dies, I will get another.

I have been using the Harbor Freight 5lb vibratory cleaner for years. Use the coupon and if they are on sale they become very cost effective.

Good to know. My ancient Midway 1292 died 30 minutes into a session a week ago. I went down to Harbor Freight and picked up the 5# unit because I didn't like the online prices I was seeing for the various 'name' tumblers (plus shipping costs, and ordering hassle....).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Half an hour in a Frankford vibratory with walnut to get the dirt off. De-prime. Two hours in a Frankford wet tumbler with SS pins, a teaspoon of Dawn and a 9mm case full of Lemi-Shine. Half an hour in a Frankford vibratory with corncob and Nu-Finish to get the lube off and polish everything. Ammo looks better than factory new and the Nu-Finish keeps the brass from oxidizing so it stays bright and shiny for a long time.

Involved? Pain in the butt? Maybe. Until you've scratched a chamber with dirty brass or detonated a primer on crud in the pocket, all because of a half-arsed cleaning method. I don't mind taking the time to do it right. Reloading is part of the fun.

If you're doing very small batches and don't care if the brass isn't shiny I'd just get an ultrasonic. Especially since it's useful for other things.

If you're doing very large batches, cement mixer with pins to clean and vibratory with corncob for lube removal if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah doing small amounts of brass it might be more of a PITA than it's worth. Buuuuutttt, in that case check around for used rock tumblers at your local pawn shops or flea markets. Toss in a pound or two of the stainless pins and you could probably do 2-300 brass at a time. Then just throw in the dryer if you have a shoe rack for it.

what finally sold me on wet tumbling was a buddy cleaning some Lapua rifle brass of mine that had leached ink from the box on them (rag with solvent against the box caused it). Nothing I did would get the ink off, and it was more like tar really. But 30 minutes or something in his wet tumbler and even the head stamps were clean. I used a universal decapping die to deprime them so of course even the primer pockets were perfect.

Many people dry their brass with beef jerky dehydrators. $25 to $35 ones work great.

AccuBrass.com

Edited by BaMaverick

My formula for the Rock tumbler is 1 pound brass per container (I use an 8oz plastic cup measures 9mm brass to 1 pound), 1/2 pound of pins per, a Lee dipper of Lemi shine and a small drop of Dawn liquid per, top with water and rotated for 1.5 hrs. So 2 pounds of painfully clean brass in 1.5 hours. I made a dryer with some things I had laying around as pictured. 24 hours with the fan blowing proves to be adequate. I can do 8 pounds at a time, which is enough for a while. No dust...

0EF1EC48-B527-41EF-BC79-E9A8B6FF2720_zps

Fan underneath

B86CB7ED-0AC5-4B20-A308-755CEFAEEAA4_zps

Edited by dogtired

You can easily make a single container to replace the two smaller ones. I did it originally when we wanted to see how the stainless pins worked. Mine is a Lortone 33B which is the same size as the Harbor Freight unit.

P1000294%20640x480_zpsffwthtfz.jpg

P1000291%20640x480_zpsavki9rky.jpg

P1000292%20640x480_zpsouyn0k2r.jpg

P1000290%20640x480_zpscvszrcqq.jpg

I use 5lbs of pins and about 5lbs of brass - now just use Dawn and hot water.

I've had my Dillon for over 15 yrs. and I don't know how many 10's of thousands of pieces of brass I've polished but it's still going. If it dies before I do, I'll buy another. If I die first my son will continue to use it. Good luck with whatever you decide on. :bow:

Dogtired:

Some sort of plastic material quarter round that was laying around. Just ran screws thru the sewer pipe ( you want to use that, it's half as thick as the regular pipe - more capacity and weighs less) and has never leaked.