Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hottest birdshot load? What's best for MGM spinners?

Moltke

I've been using this load as my occasional shell to throw in for an unusually hard birdshot steel but rarely actually use it, and never practice with it

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=408

It's a 2&3/4 inch shell with 1&1/4 ounce of #6 at 1500 FPS. I haven't yet had a target that this hasn't dropped but I know there's got to be hotter stuff that people are using, and some people use their hotter birdshot loads to rock MGM spinners. With that in mind, what's the ballpark choke & load & distance combo that have been successful?

For spinners I use either Federal #6 Prarie Storm or Fiocchi #6 Pheasant, with these loads can spin the spinner in one shot from 15 yds.

With Winchester AA heavy target in 7 1/2 usually takes two well timed shots to get it to spin.

For slugs I use Fiocchi full power slugs at 40 yds.

I use IC choke most of the time, shoots my slugs dead on.

Edited by The Donald

Federal makes a Flitecontrol 3" turkey load that's 2 oz. #6 at 1150 fps. Hasn't failed me on a one shot spin yet. I think the furthest I've used it is about 15 yards with light mod.

After being out of competition and training for 6 months I shot my first match a couple of weeks ago. We had a stage with lots of clays, short range knock downs, slugs, and some 20-25 yard knock downs. I made the mistake of using my Fiocchi golden pheasant loads and IC choke on the long shots. Apparently in my time off I forgot that the pattern really opens up with a higher velocity round and IC choke. Moral of the story: know what your pattern is for the high velocity shells.

I know from experience that a 3.5" Federal Strut Shok (2 ounces of #6) through an XX-Full choke will completely disassemble an MGM Spinner at 15 yards. It will also spin it in one shot from 25 yards. So, you can work backwards from there.

:devil:

At our local matches we capped the shotshells at nothing bigger than #6's and nothing faster than 1350fps, 1 1/8th ozs.

We had too many guys using turkey loads and knocking the spinner completely over. I think that's why Travis made it a 100 second penalty to knock over the spinner at Ironman.

I shoot the softest stuff I can find. Usually #7.5's at about 1150fps. I hit spinners once on top then double tap the bottom. It goes over every time.

Edited by Birddog6424

We limited it at our club as well to 7 1/2 or smaller, 2 3/4 shells, 1 1/8oz 3 1/4 dram for the same reason of people taking it apart in 1 shot. Our purpose of the spinner is to get people to time their shots and keep an eye on the spinner while hitting other targets at the same time.

Thank being said, I use 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Win AA at major matches and what ever is on sale for our local matches and put it over in 2 sometimes 3 if I pull the first shot. I run IC most of the time out of my 24" gun.

I've been using this load as my occasional shell to throw in for an unusually hard birdshot steel but rarely actually use it, and never practice with it

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=408

It's a 2&3/4 inch shell with 1&1/4 ounce of #6 at 1500 FPS. I haven't yet had a target that this hasn't dropped but I know there's got to be hotter stuff that people are using, and some people use their hotter birdshot loads to rock MGM spinners. With that in mind, what's the ballpark choke & load & distance combo that have been successful?

I keep the 7.5 version of that ammo for matches that won't allow #6 shot. The shell Austin referred to with 2oz of #6 shot is my go to otherwise.

We limited it at our club as well to 7 1/2 or smaller, 2 3/4 shells, 1 1/8oz 3 1/4 dram for the same reason of people taking it apart in 1 shot. Our purpose of the spinner is to get people to time their shots and keep an eye on the spinner while hitting other targets at the same time.

Thank being said, I use 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Win AA at major matches and what ever is on sale for our local matches and put it over in 2 sometimes 3 if I pull the first shot. I run IC most of the time out of my 24" gun.

I agree with you here. Sometimes you have to make folks stick to the intent of the stage.

There is no challenge in a one shot spin. Anyone can do it. I'm all for shotshell restrictions that at least make the shooter put some effort into the target.

I agree with you here. Sometimes you have to make folks stick to the intent of the stage.

There is no challenge in a one shot spin. Anyone can do it. I'm all for shotshell restrictions that at least make the shooter put some effort into the target.

I disagree....put it further away and test it if you don't want it spun in one shot. You cannot fault a shooter for being smarter than the stage designer, or for being more prepared than the next shooter. If you have a rifle spinner, do you make someone shooting 77gr ammo shoot it an extra time because other people only brought 55gr? There is no failure to do right in 3-gun and the prepared should have the advantage over the lazy and unprepared.

Also, there is a challenge in a one shot spin! You are taking a chance typically, the chance that slowing down for that one shot doesn't get you a full value hit and it does NOT spin in one shot, then you're hustling to get it more ammo in the gun and losing time. The risk/reward component can't be discounted because you don't like it.

I disagree....put it further away and test it if you don't want it spun in one shot. You cannot fault a shooter for being smarter than the stage designer, or for being more prepared than the next shooter. If you have a rifle spinner, do you make someone shooting 77gr ammo shoot it an extra time because other people only brought 55gr? There is no failure to do right in 3-gun and the prepared should have the advantage over the lazy and unprepared.

Also, there is a challenge in a one shot spin! You are taking a chance typically, the chance that slowing down for that one shot doesn't get you a full value hit and it does NOT spin in one shot, then you're hustling to get it more ammo in the gun and losing time. The risk/reward component can't be discounted because you don't like it.

There's a world of difference between spinning the target in 5 to 6 with 75's versus 7 to 8 with 55's, compared to an easy peasy one shot spin with turkey loads. It's apples and oranges. There is challenge in any 100 yard rifle spin, you still have to make the hits. There is no challenge in a one shot shotty spin.

It's a simple matter to limit the shotty loads and fix the problem. It is what a lot of clubs and matches are doing. 1350 fps is still an easy two-shot spin.

• 8 months later...

Prairie Storm. 1 shot and the spinner wil probably stop spinning by the time you finish the stage. Shoot the bottom plate and it won't knock the spinner down.

These are 2 3/4"?

Yes, 2 3/4". I don't know how they put that much ass a short shell, but they do work. Not very fun to shoot.

I shot a 2 3/4 PS on the spinner this weekend at the regional and had it set in the order I was taking the spinner. After shooting the PS it felt like my shotgun went to bolt lock but it should not have at it was the 5th shell in line. When I rolled it over to look all I could see was the opened crimp of the shell looking back at me half in and half out of the ejection port. I have no idea how it rotated 180 deg and got lodged in the ejection port. I guess my gun wasn't ready for the pounding haha.