Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag well bevel - USPSA

tha1000

Is it legal to bevel the inside of a mag well on a pistol, within the size limitations mentioned in the rules, and still be production legal?

Ie I have a CZ sp01 shadow, which has a nice bevel to the magwell. I am currently building a CZ 75 pre b as a backup gun and it has no bevel from the factory. Is it still legal if I bevel it to match the shadow? I've searched and can't find a definitive answer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it say for production that unless a modification is expressly allowed it is forbidden?

Internal modification?

" 21.1 Internal throating and polishing to improve accuracy, reliability and function."

" Because internal modifications are currently very difficult to enforce, NROI now deems that this clause means INTERNAL modifications which do NOT conflict with other clauses of this appendix are NOW ALLOWED."

" Per existing NROI ruling, any internal modifications which result in a visible change to the external appearance of the gun when it is in battery REMAIN PROHIBITED unless specifically allowed by the plain language herein."

Edited by alma

Doesn't 22.4 cover this?

That is the correct section but doesn't explicitly say whether or not you can enlarge a factory mag well or you have to leave it be. I believe that removing material is common practice in USPSA and I feel comfortable justifying this under the "may be more than 1/4 inch front to back" language. However, as a precaution I have largely avoided modifying the slides since no dimensions for sides are explicitly mentioned.

21.1 - • Per existing NROI ruling, any “internal” modifications which result in a visible change to the external appearance of the gun when it is in battery REMAIN PROHIBITED unless specifically allowed by the plain language herein.

I believe it was deemed illegal to put paint or the like inside the grip frame to aid reloads because it was a visible external mod.

Painting a dot, stripes, or other patterns to make it easier to reload or acquire the sights more quickly was clarified illegal. That doesn't say anything about painting the slide or frame, though, which is legal as long as it doesn't provide a competitive advantage

Appendix A4, 21.2a -

"This clause is NOW interpreted to specifically ALLOW refinishing the frame, as well as the slide, subject to the existing constraints on refinishing (cosmetic only, no competitive advantage). (Caps in original)

If the gun is in battery it would have a mag in it, and you would not be able to see the mag well.

Plus why do they list an acceptable front to back maximum mag well dimension if not implying it could be enlarged?

I believe it was deemed illegal to put paint or the like inside the grip frame to aid reloads because it was a visible external mod.

Then explain a grip plug being legal as long as it does not extend below the grip. I used a glockworx plug in my 34 that added a nice bevel and it was flat on the bottom. Legal.

Then explain a grip plug being legal as long as it does not extend below the grip. I used a glockworx plug in my 34 that added a nice bevel and it was flat on the bottom. Legal.

Because 22.3 says it is? You answered your own question in your response.

Even though I enjoy production, the endless debates about legality of mods gets tiring. Even though it is unlikely to happen it would be nice if the rules could be cleaned up some.

That will never happen because there will always be someone who'll ask, "But can I do this to my gun, can I do that..." And someone will have to decide what will be allowed, leading to the slippery slope of permissible mods we now have. Really, it was simpler when it was "no external mods. Period." I think each allowed mod, on it's own, seems innocent enough, but the totally of them defies common sense, like Sarge is pointing out.

That will never happen because there will always be someone who'll ask, "But can I do this to my gun, can I do that..." And someone will have to decide what will be allowed, leading to the slippery slope of permissible mods we now have. Really, it was simpler when it was "no external mods. Period." I think each allowed mod, on it's own, seems innocent enough, but the totally of them defies common sense, like Sarge is pointing out.

Thanks for helping show that I was just trying to point out some things. It seems to me the rules allow you to put a bevel on your magwell withing the confines of the rule. I think a magwell is internal not external as well. I also agree it would be better to make Production much more stock. Let companies make specific guns for competition and sell them, get them approved and let shooters buy them if they want to spend the money. I think it's nuts that our rules almost make it commonplace to email DNROI every time we read the rule book.