Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silver spiral around bullet hole

TennJeep1618

I've never seen this before, so I was wondering if one of you might enlighten me on what caused it. This was a hole in a target after one of my runs this past weekend:

FullSizeRender_3.jpg-1_zpsuhdg1573.jpg

Is that unburned powder that created the spiral? The barrel only had about 50 or 60 rounds through it since the last cleaning and I've never shot any lead bullets out of this gun, only plated.

CZ 75

9mm

147gr Extreme PLRN

3.2gr Titegroup

Edit, this target was only 2-3 yards away.

Edited by TennJeep1618

I see those a lot on close range targets. Always wondered if it was powder, bullet type or something else.

Yes, this was a close range target. I forgot to mention it, but I edited my post to include that info.

I see it when some are using coated bullets as well. Could be the same principle with too much crimp exposing bare lead or not enough bell shaving the coating off

Edited by Sarge

Not sure why, but I noticed this a while ago at some matches and it turned out that everyone who's guns were doing this were using Frog Lube. Could have been a coincidence, but I remember thinking that was the reason, though I cant remember why right now...

We call them grease rings. It's caused by the powder residue in the barrel being transferred to the bullet as the bullet passes through the barrel and then rubbing off on the cardboard as it passes through.

The big spirals are from powder. Always see it on close targets where the blast is getting to it. I don't have plated bullets, barely crimp, and it only happens on up close targets...

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's from leaving your ammo out in the sun and the bullets are getting sun burnt then peeling when they hit the cooler targets.

Or it could be that you hit an invisible pocko lips zombie and it's blood spatter from it.

Could also be that someone was trying to tag your shots mid-flight with bio hazard stickers.

On the other hand you might have got some of those spiral wound bullets and they wound them the wrong way and they're unraveling.

Could also be from paper patching.

Or it could just be the powder residue being sucked along in the bullets wake. ;)

Edited by Dranoel

• 7 months later...