Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Infinity

Red Ryder

As I approach the "back nine" of life, I would love to treat myself to an Infinity. Any way to fondle the different grips? I have yet to see one in the wild although I come across an occasional PT build. I would hate to make a mistake on size or texture on what could be my last gun purchase ever (or at least that is what my wife will be told)

Brandon can send you some grips to test out with a reasonable deposit. The Infinity Traditional is the same size as a regular plastic grip. The Signature grip is quite unique in the widebody space and the Infinity Competition is a smaller grip for those with small hands.

Textures are a little harder to describe except the one I like, Micropockets Aggressive is just that, very aggressive. You grab the gun and that is it, no moving around. One would think Micropockets Tactical would be less agressive since the edges are rounded but it is still plenty of grip but doesn't leave you bleeding :-). Regular Micropockets is fair grippy and then you have the SkaterTerrain. It can be had with 60 grit which is pretty much equal to Micropockets Aggressive to 120 grit which is about the same as all other skate board type tape.

If those descriptions don't explain it all give Brandon a call and he can get you some samples.

Lee

Thanks for the information. When I put in my deposit, I will definitely ask for some grips to test. Does the aggressive grip really draw blood? I am fairly calloused from skater tape on my STI

Thanks for the information. When I put in my deposit, I will definitely ask for some grips to test. Does the aggressive grip really draw blood? I am fairly calloused from skater tape on my STI

It can. I've got a dime sized scab on my wrist from a draw where I skimmed it across the grip. I don't have any issue with the grip drawing blood while shooting, but if you hit it wrong during a draw it will definitely bite you.

They don't call the aggressive micro pockets "Evil Bubbles" for nothing.............sharing blood with your pistol will bring you to a closer bond with your pistol. Really.....it will.........

Or with your HMO and Doctor's office but hey, we are not judging here.......

...and Roy Neal is a terrible influence. Know that.

He's one of the reasons I ended up with an SVI for USPSA Single Stack. I love the thing and I'd do it all over again. The price for SVI product is actually pretty reasonable if you shop around and look at the prices of similar high end custom 1911/2011 pistols.

Brandon was very helpful when I spoke with him. Answered my questions and responded to emails quickly, good customer service goes a long ways in my book. Made the deposit......now the wait is on!

Im sure it will be a really nice piece, just not nearly as nice as mine. Not to mention, Im a solid 2 weeks ahead of you in line...

I'm about to order a SVI but I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me. I live in Europe so I doubt I'll be able to try the different grips.

My main question is about the grip, I have smallish hands, my friend has a SVI with the signature grip, it fits OK, but it seems a little square at the rear for me. Does anyone know how the smaller grip compares? Is it more rounded, does it feel similar to an STI, etc.?

Second question is about calibre conversion, I'm planning on buying one in 40S&W, how easy would it be to change it to 45ACP?

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my SVI now for almost 2 years. It is not just an absolutely beautiful and great functioning pistol. You get service backing from a person and company that just can't be beat in my book. From the time I picked it up at the shop and Brandon helped me learn to tear it down and run it, to some issues I had and he helped me learn to fix, to upgrades and helping me understand the pistol. Service and help that is unbelievable. that's what you get when you buy an SVI INFINITY pistol. Worth every penny.

Drove out and met with Brandon yesterday. Wow, what a nice guy. Brandon and Tiffany have been answering e-mails from me for a couple of weeks now. Other people might be annoyed but they answered every question. They also helped me with questions about converting a used Infinity if need be.

Getting a feel of the grips in person definitely helps a lot. The aggressive micro pockets can be toned down a bit later so not a big issue.

Are they worth the money? Yes, they are worth every single cent they cost. You are buying superior materials, craftsmanship, and attention to detail. What you are really asking is, is it value to you...that's hard to say. If you shoot a lot (do you buy ammo by the thousand?) and/or you handle the gun almost every day (dry fire) you will appreciate the smooth lines, linear motion, and prestine timing of the gun. Even if they didn't look cool, they would still be worth the money.

Are they the best? There is no way to be objective on that. There are many custom 1911/2011 builders who can build a gun as good or arguably better, however Infinity is pretty much the standard by which they are all judged because they have build enough top tier units for a long enough amount of time to be stread far and wide so people in this niche across the country have seen one at some point. I could say a Grundhauser is better...but few people on here have ever even heard the name nevermind seen one, so I would just sound like a Koolaid drinker. With limited exceptions, Infinity don't sell through dealers, so unless you run across one at a match it is pretty hard to lay your hands on one before buying. As mentioned earlier, what's cool about them is that they make all or their own parts in house so they are in control of their product from bar stock to finish.

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to described the Micro pockets: 'it's like holding a piece of coral'

I was at a local match yesterday and met a guy with an Infinity during the walk-through. He generously let me handle the gun and I think coral is a great description. I really liked the feel of the aggressive micropockets. One comment he made was that he wished he had more aggressive serrations on the front of the slide. I think he had either 3 or 5 Xcelerators. Any thoughts on FCS as well as slide profile? Is it more than just cosmetic?

I have the 5, the problem is that the slide is so highly polished, you have to really squeeze if you want to use the front serrations for racking the slide. So I would get more and smaller serrations. It also helps to keep the outside of the slide free of grease/oil.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it worth the extra money to go with Infinity. Do you get better reliability with this extra money?

I hope to be able to answer that within the next week or so. Just put the check in the mail today for used SVI I found in the classifieds here. It;s going to be a tough week waiting for it to get here.

As with all things in life.....you get what you pay for.......Who is best is a subjective question and answer. However, I think we can all agree that if your order an Infinity 1911, you will not be disappointed and you will cherish that pistol till you die. Then your estate sends it to me as it was your last wish before you stopped breathing..........

I will suffer getting over your death by shooting your pistol just like I bought it myself.............because that's what friends do!!!!!!!!!!

As with all things in life.....you get what you pay for.......Who is best is a subjective question and answer. However, I think we can all agree that if your order an Infinity 1911, you will not be disappointed and you will cherish that pistol till you die. Then your estate sends it to me as it was your last wish before you stopped breathing..........

I will suffer getting over your death by shooting your pistol just like I bought it myself.............because that's what friends do!!!!!!!!!!

So selfless! You wouldn't happen to be related to the Clinton's.