Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can anyone shed some light on the cons of keeping your gun safe in the garage?

Humidity issues? Will a golden rod help alleviate any problems?

We have a decent size garage but not that much available space inside (with a baby here now) to have one there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest pro for me was I couldn't get it in the house. The delivery guy put it in the corner on the original pallet. I've got a golden rod inside. The guns are fine.

post-22108-0-72103600-1363823181_thumb.j

The biggest pro for me was I couldn't get it in the house. The delivery guy put it in the corner on the original pallet. I've got a golden rod inside. The guns are fine.

Where are you geographically? How's your climate?

Im in Maryland and the summers can sometimes get a bit steamy, and of course...the winters are always a crap-shoot ;)

Some sort of quality dehumidifier (like a golden rod) inside should prevent any moisture problems. You definitely want to anchor it to the concrete floor.

That was going to be my next question...should it be anchored.

Thanks TennJeep1618!

Couldn't you just drill through the rubber mat you just recommended putting under it? Essentially all you want to do is deter someone from trying to steal it which that task alone would be tough seeing as how heavy they are.

Edit: You said that in your original post, sorry.

Edited by Meyer23

I wouldn't be worried in the least as long as you have something controlling the moisture and as Glock said, keep it off the floor & bolt it down.

Edited by Meyer23

How convenient. Now I just need to rent a pallet jack and I'm off.

Beware of the attack possum!!! Violators will be eaten!!post-22108-0-50733800-1431708897_thumb.j

Don't get to complacent, typical garage doors are not to difficult to breech.

Want a more secure garage? Enter the GrumpyOne system.

1st. You must not want to use your garage to store your automobile. The automobile is more at home outside anyway.

2nd. You will need a drill and a unibit or a drill bit capable of drilling a 1/2" hole through thin sheet metal.

3rd. You will need a lock. I had mine laying around from a storage unit i had rented when I was building my house.

1. Drill a 1/2" hole through the upright of the garage door rail, just above the track wheel.

2. Install lock. See attached pics.

post-18733-0-56631600-1431716986_thumb.j

Have had mine in the garage at this house three years, previous house 5 years. goldenrod plus a couple of desiccant. no issues. I would recommend rather than a rubber mat spacing it with wood blocks. I initially just had a couple of pieces of 1/2' plywood under mine until I had a water issue in the garage one time (odd, best I can figure my wife pulled in during a heavy storm and the water running off the car puddled, and the garage must not be sloped right because it didn't drain out the front like you'd hope but settled towards the outsides). anyways now mine sits on pressure treated 4x4's on both outside edges.

I figure if they're determined enough they'll get my sawzall from beneath the workbench and cut the bolts off anyways. all these measures short of a vault are to deter less intent criminals.

I wouldn't mind having one inside, painted real nice so it could be part of a nice game room, but I have to get the game room first. in the end it's most convenient having it close to the workbench.

any of you ever tried breaking into your garage? maybe some are easy but mine isn't. the edges are all impossible to reach by hand (the garage was retrofitted and the guy that did it used a larger door than was really necessary for the opening, or he purposely built the opening this way) and I will say that the sensitivity isn't set right on mine, should go back up if it hits a bike, kids etc. and I've had it happen with my daughters bike. forgot something as I was leaving the other day and stuck my foot under. yes I have stupid moments, and needless to say it wasn't coming up and I wasn't forcing it. my daughter had to climb into the front seat and hit the opener.

When i go out of town I shutoff power to the opener. I have no external garage door so they have to deal with the dogs if they want in. I'm fortunate to be in an older neighborhood and my retired neighbor across the street is always around and calls me if he thinks there's anything up.

Red

Edited by DagoRed

Might be a more secure (and permanent solution) to the wood blocks is square metal tubing, or even 2" black iron pipe/ rigid conduit. Cut 4 even pieces of the tubing/conduit 2" long (or however high you want the safe off the ground), and after your anchors are in the floor, set the safe on the tubing/conduits and bolt through them into the floor. Then, in order to move the safe, the would be crooks would have to cut through the tubing/pipe, with the anchor bolt inside. If you have use the correct anchor bolt, it will be extremely difficult to have someone move the safe. I suggest using Hilti anchors, prefer HSL type, with a torque cap head. Although, RedHead 1/2" drop in anchors would work well too, and they would be available at HD or Lowe's.

I like Grumpy's idea! I would add some kind of pipe/tubing around the mounting bolt, inside the square tubing, to slow down any attempt at cutting through the whole thing with a Sawzall. It would spin on the mounting stud instead of being cut. Anything to slow 'em down and frustrate them.

Just an idea........ :sight:

Alan~^~

first off, I always go with redheads, for obvious reasons :)

you could do the metal (I like the idea of sleeving th bolts so they spin when you hit them with a sawzall. hopefully they don't know how to use the torch :) ), wood was right there and easy. I think if you're in a situation where they may be cutting through there are other security things you could do (do some framing so they have major demo to even move it, use some come along or other high strength chain and weld it to a plate, have alarms with cell phone notification etc). if they're willing to use machines or heavy equipment they are determined and are leaving with it anyways. Delay them enough that police, security or you get there before they're gone.

Red

Who says they would need to pry the door up? If the door is used and you can't run a lock or something into the rails it's easy. Smash window of garage reach in and pull the cable for the release and slide it right up

The garage is the easiest place to get to. Plenty of time to drag it away when the door is down. Put it as far inside your house as you can.

Agreed and hope that the guy who moved my 1400# safe isn't one of the thieves!

1400#? BFD I have these...http://www.amazon.com/Wesco-272952-Hydraulic-Furniture-Polyurethane/dp/B000KL39ZC/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

A garage safe is easiest to roll away.

Stairs make the job more difficult .

Who says they would need to pry the door up? If the door is used and you can't run a lock or something into the rails it's easy. Smash window of garage reach in and pull the cable for the release and slide it right up

You people do know that I'm keeping a list? Right? :ph34r: