Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 Sp-01 vs CZ 75 shadow.

dogtired

I am looking at a new pistol and have seen several GM shooters using the CZ 75 shadow not the SP01. Obviously they know what they are doing. What draws them to the lighter pistol where here on the board there are a lot of votes for the heavier SP01?

And for those who want to say it, I will ask them next time I shoot with any of them (it could be a while).

I have a 75 Shadow and a Cajunized SP-01. If I could only keep one, it would be the SP-01. My double taps are quicker with the full dust cover. It may be that better shooters can control the muzzle flip on their 75s better than I and thus take advantage of the faster transitions of the lighter gun. I am not to that point.

My vote is on the full length dust cover version, Shadow or SP-01. I am not a big fan of the lighter weight gun for better transitions idea. Look at Open where they have no problem moving those beasts around. It comes down to practice. You are fully capably of moving as fast and be able to stop as fast with a heavier gun vs lighter gun. Look at the World Shoot. The top three competitors are shooting Stock II, which is heavier then a full length dust cover CZ. All this talk of which small little things is better would be brought out at the top level and weight for transitions is not one of those things. To be fair the same thing is true for recoil control. If you build up your grip strength you will be able to hold either gun flat for quick splits.

Now I bring you to the most important factory when you look at the two, which one is sexier. Pick that one!

So are you able to quantify the increase in speed or the improvement in accuracy for either platform? Looking at your sig line, you have a CZ problem.

Edited by dogtired

I went through the same debate and at the end of the day I realized that both guns will outshoot my ability so I just went with a stock shadow and did the custom work myself. The only added benefit that I thought the accu would give me was a little extra weight.

So are you able to quantify the increase in speed or the improvement in accuracy for either platform? Looking at your sig line, you have a CZ problem.

Target acquisition is different for the 2 sports. I also load/tune different ammo for each gun/sport.

3 gun pistol targets are score by neutralizing with 2 hits anywhere which allows me to double tap while transitioning between targets without a powerfactor requirement (gun is still moving as I'm shooting both shots).

USPSA pistol is scored by zoned precise hits and has a minimum power factor which requires more time and deliberate thought with each pull of the trigger (gun is somewhat stationary while shooting both shots). Weight of the SP-01 keeps the muzzle down.

Glad I seen this thread. I going to put a deposit on one or the other from Automatic Accuracy the first of June. I had the chance to dry fire a Automatic Accuracy double action SP-01 at a club match last month. I was worried about the double action trigger pull. After dry firing a tuned gun I know that it would not be a problem.

Im getting splits on IDPA head shot splits in the .23-.26 at 7yds with my glock 34 (tracking my sights). I pretty happy with times and know I can improve on them. Just thinking that the 75 shadow would work fine for me. I don't want to buy the wrong one. I have not done this long enough to know if I need the extra weight to reduce my splits or not.

I only both a SP01 (with a highly tuned trigger) and a 75 Shadow also. Since I'm no world class shooter or anything, the recoil feels roughly the same. I have slightly small hands so I prefer the 75 Shadow because it feels slimmer in my hand. If I were to keep one, I'd keep my 75 Shadow.

FWIW... SP01 frame has a beveled mag opening, 75 frame does not.

Although I believe the 75 Shadowline frame does have the beveled mag opening.

Makes a difference when reloading.

Almost certain all of the top level CZ shooters are using SP01 frames.

I think you can be competitive with either one. I have a SP-01 worked over and one of my buddies has a 75 shadow. I think these are both capable of producing a first place win at nationals in the right hands.