Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Free-Float" shotgun clamp - Oh, yea TACCOM!

ericm

Just got an e-mail from TACCOM showing their new free-float shotgun clamp. It looks like it's the answer to all these years of slipping clamps, slug POI changes, loosening tubes, etc. that I've experienced on my 1100's and VM's.

I dreamed of something like this years ago, and it looks like Tim channeled my cerebral musings!!!

My thought was to support the tube (and, by proxy, the tube threads) if it got snagged on a prop, but still allow the barrel to free-float.

With today's increasingly prevalent (and violent....as witnessed many times) abandonment procedures, I think this will be added insurance as opposed to not running a clamp at all...

Disclaimer: Not a TACCOM employee, etc., but I did rub Tim's belly for luck once :surprise:

mi dos centavos,

ericm

Nice.......

Actually, the free float clamp (or ext. tube stabilizer as i like to call it).......was something Eric approached me about years ago. Just never had an econmical way to do it. So....this is ALL Eric for sure, he knows the problem and we talked at great length how to fix it.

One other thing.....he never really rubbed my belly, but we did hold hands once.

Are you making them without the rail on the side as well?

I have one as well, cant answer about railess, but it would be supper easy to cut off and sand smooth.

Jay

As per their Facebook, they will be making a non-railed version.

Are you making them without the rail on the side as well?

I have one as well, cant answer about railess, but it would be supper easy to cut off and sand smooth.

Jay

As per their Facebook, they will be making a non-railed version.

later this week I hope....once we get caught up

When tightened around the tube, the "clamp" does not actually touch the barrel, but rather loosely wraps around it. If you toss it in a barrel, it only allows a small amount of flex before it contacts the barrel, essentially tying the tube and barrel together. But it does not influence the position of the barrel when in use. A great solution to the guns who change POI when the clamp is installed/ re-installed. Also good because the Nordic is a "universal" clamp, and not all shotgun designs have exactly the same barrel/ tube spacing. Some (notably the Stoeger M3000 from my experience) are actually flexed when the clamp is tightened because the clamp spacing does not match the shotgun perfectly. That is why I have run mine without a clamp even though I run a +9 extension tube.

When tightened around the tube, the "clamp" does not actually touch the barrel, but rather loosely wraps around it. If you toss it in a barrel, it only allows a small amount of flex before it contacts the barrel, essentially tying the tube and barrel together. But it does not influence the position of the barrel when in use. A great solution to the guns who change POI when the clamp is installed/ re-installed. Also good because the Nordic is a "universal" clamp, and not all shotgun designs have exactly the same barrel/ tube spacing. Some (notably the Stoeger M3000 from my experience) are actually flexed when the clamp is tightened because the clamp spacing does not match the shotgun perfectly. That is why I have run mine without a clamp even though I run a +9 extension tube.

So would you say this would be better possibly than the traditional Nordic clamp?

I have not tested one yet so I cannot say for sure. Purely speculation. It cannot be as strong as the Nordic part, as it is 3D printed from ABS plastic rather than extruded aluminum, but the theory behind the design is sound. I will report after I thrash one :)

There is, if you have a belt sander or a hacksaw :)

NOOOOOOO.........don't do that. I'll get my son to update the website today!! We have the non-rail versions ready to go.

If you cut the rail off, it will not look good at all

Tim