Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal 3 Gun belt setup

Ya I carry way less than a lot of people it looks like. Mine is 2 pistol mag pouches and no rifle mag pouch. I use an appropriate mag for the stage so no need to load on the clock. the spare mag is shoved in the back pocket and hasnt been needed yet. the only time i have had a reload with the rifle is for when we had 3GN classifiers before the local clubs dumped it and it required a reload from the belt in which i clamped a mag pouch on. Not a fan of way over loading the belt and to me 4 pistol mags plus one in the gun is way overkill

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ELS mounted on DAA belt. The belt is MUCH stiffer with stronger velcro than the Safariland belt. My holster doesn't flop around (using the Invictus holster hanger mounted on QLS) like it did with the Safariland belt.

The ELS components are robust. They are great for switching out what is needed for different stages. With QLS on the holster, I can pull the entire holster off if it is needed for a stage or just being more comfortable driving between stages/at lunch/what have you.

At least 3 pistol mag pouches. Bladetechs work well, but many options. Most I've ever needed was 4 pistol mag pouches (high round count pistol stage with planned reloads).

Only need 1 rifle mag pouch and rarely even that.....but for looooong stages like RM3G, there are been times that you'll want 2 rifle mag pouches. Bladetech AR mag pouch is a good, common one.

Nice rig

For shotgun caddies, be able to fit at least 16 on the belt, but be prepared for big matches needing 32-40 shells for long shotgun stages. I can fit 36 on my belt if real estate isn't needed for pistol mags. Using Invictus Practical shell carriers, but others have their pros/cons also.

Hope that helps.

Mine is 2 pistol mag pouches and no rifle mag pouch.

For most local matches and typical stages, 2 pistol mag pouches are more than plenty. However, for bigger matches or stages with higher round counts, you'll want more mags on you. I think the most I've taken is 1 in the gun, plus 4 on the belt for a 52 or 62 round (can't recall which it was at the moment) all pistol stage. Not because I needed 100 rounds, but because of the way the reload opportunities spaced out.

As for rifle mag pouch, a pocket works fine, but have learned enough times to always have a spare, even if you have no use for it, not to mention stages where a reload is needed, required, or beneficial in some way. Seen it happen to plenty of people as well.

SMM3G a couple years ago had a hoser section, followed by some longer range targets.....the long mag for the hoser section interfered with the body position I wanted to use, so it was ditched and a different mag was loaded going into the long range targets without any impact on clock time. That and if I recall, there weren't enough rounds in the long mag to risk a reload once into the ranged targets position. Just one example.

That being said, not everyone is going to the same matches and not everyone does things the same way/same plan. To each their own, know what works for yourself and go execute.

Edited by AustinWolv

I also run ELS clips on a Double Alpha belt, and I modified it the same way as Darin with a drill and soldering iron. Safariland belt has too much wiggle.

The ideal gear belt changes with every stage. This is why i went ELS. On shotgun only stages, I can remove my pistol, pistol mags, and AR mags and add more shotgun caddies. Or for stages that dont' require shotgun, I can remove all the caddies to shed weight. No sense in carrying around something you aren't going to use.

Modularity is key in today's game. For my standard belt on a 3-gun stage, I'm gonna have at least 24 shells, 2 pistol mags, and a spare AR mag. Plus or minus based on what the stage requires for each gun.

For those running a Double Alpha belt, are you also using an underbelt? Like the two belt system for Safariland?

And

What did you use as a guideline for spacing out the holes on the DA belt before you punched a bunch of holes?

For those running a Double Alpha belt, are you also using an underbelt? Like the two belt system for Safariland?

And

What did you use as a guideline for spacing out the holes on the DA belt before you punched a bunch of holes?

1. Absolutely. The DAA underbelt. DAA hook/loop is much better than the Safariland hook/loop also.

2. Used my Safariland ELS belt as a template. ;) Set my holster position first with the QLS, then just made a single row of the the holes around the whole belt from there, then put the ELS receivers all the way around so I can put things wherever I want them, depending on the stage. For someone that doesn't have the Safariland belt to use a template, I can measure the spacing later when I get home and post it. :)

That would be fantastic and super helpful.

Did you size up for the underbelly and outer belt?

I wear a size 32-34 waist. Figuring a little more overlap for the underbelt and the next size up for the outside belt.

I wear a size 32-34 waist. Figuring a little more overlap for the underbelt and the next size up for the outside belt.

Same size here, and I ordered the 36". I'm happy with the sizing and overlap, I'll measure that also for reference.

Here's sizing advice.

Perhaps a silly question, but as I'm looking, I'm only seeing the one DAA belt. Does the underbelt/overbelt come as a unit?

Figured this out: The under and outer belts come as a single unit.

Edited by roadie3

The overlap is right about 7" on mine. Comes with a beltkeeper also.

For the ELS hole pattern center to center, use 13/16" spacing. 0.75" should work, but the pattern spacing is a bit closer to 13/16". On mine, just made the row of holes all the way around, mounted an ELS receiver, skipped a hole, mounted an ELS receiver, skipped a hole, and so on. Pretty sure that came to 10 receiver plates spaced evenly all the way around. I'd count, but busy with the kids wanting to play.......lol.

Edited by AustinWolv

Would someone who has punched holes in their DAA belt for ELS please post a picture of your setup.

Thank you

Another question: How do the DAA belts compare to CR belts?

I'm running custom ELS brackets on the CR Speed belt so it was a little cleaner then drilling holes. Really happy with that setup. ELS with a normal belt is where it's at for sure.

20140525_204146.jpg

IMG_6694.jpg

Edited by jid2

I'm running custom ELS brackets on the CR Speed belt so it was a little cleaner then drilling holes. Really happy with that setup. ELS with a normal belt is where it's at for sure.

20140525_204146.jpg

IMG_6694.jpg

Did you fabricate those brackets yourself?

Blade tech belt, TekLoks, BOSS pistol hanger with blade tech holster, 4 pistol mags pouches, 1 rifle pouch, 1 4x4 shotgun caddie for slugs if not able to place in the Chameleon, Chameleon shotgun belt. If I was starting from scratch I would go with the ELS system and the Chameleon shotgun belt.

• 3 weeks later...

Something to keep in mind if you shoot regularly with friends, it can be helpful to have a similar platform. Both myself and my shooting buddy have ELS belts. We do either USPSA or 3-Gun every weekend. I really appreciate being able to quickly add an extra rifle/pistol mag holder or add a couple shot shell caddies for those long shotgun stages. I prefer the ELS style of quick detach but the Tek-Lok's also work well for quick swapping between people if you need that extra piece of gear for a stage.

ELS belt with all 34/35 clips & receivers. Every 'thing' I have (holsters, mag pouches, shot shell carriers & even 22lr Kydex mag pouches for Steel Challenge) all have an ELS 34 clips mounted on them. With a little bit of thinking its not too hard to come up with a way to mount the ELS 34 clips ... mine are currently on a Bladetech BOSS attachment Production holster, a Safariland 014 race holster, Mark III Buckmark holster, CR Speed mag pouches & rifle pouches & shotshell carriers ....