Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal 3 Gun belt setup

I am new to the site and I'm getting into 3 Gun. As I do I'm realizing how much gear is needed. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how many of what items I should invest in for the belt rig. There is the belt and pistol holster, straight forward, but now for the rifle and pistol mag holders and shotshell caddies.

What are people's preference for how many magazine holders and shotshell caddies they have on their belt? Any advice is appreciated on belt setup and favorite brands of equipment.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually 1 or 2 rifle mag pouches, shotgun is hard to say. That will depend on the matches you shoot, and whether or not they have a LONG shotgun only stage. i.e. Rocky Mountain 3 Gun. Being able to carry 24 rounds isn't a bad idea. I'd consider 16 minimum for most matches.

I use Safariland ELS belt, Blade Tech holsters, self made rifle pouches and shotgun is a mishmash of Mark Otto, Choate, and self made.

Safariland ELS belt with ELS receivers. Put ELS forks on your pistol mag, rifle mag, and shotshell caddies and swap them as needed between stages.

I don't believe there is one setup that will work for every stage you are going to encounter.

Thank you for the suggestions. For those who use blade-tek do you switch up your belt configuration between stages? I know this is a big selling point for Safariland ELS. I'm curious if switching blade-telk is really that much more cumbersome.

+1 to above, but want to emphasize HIGHLY recommend whatever system you choose, be able to adjust and re-configure your belt for each stage.

I use ELS system as do many of my shooting buddies which allows easy gear sharing if need be.

Edited by bishop414

I have all TekLoks... and it's easy to loan them out to anyone that needs more storage

I'll change them if it makes sense.. it might take me an extra minute.. very easy.. but it's not often I need to change

for the rifle mags.. I do have a spare pouch with a 30 rounder JIC mag, I keep in the small of my back in a Safariland tek-loked pouch.. I can not remember using it in the last 5+ years.. but I do run cinched 30 mags almost always

Safariland ELS is the best system going right now for easy swap out of different attachments. Use QLS for the holster. Some modification of the belt will be necessary. I personally love the shotgun loaders from Carbon Arms. Check them out their website as they have some helpful videos as well.

Jeff

I wish the Sarfariland ESL had been out when I started 3 gun in 2002. Great system. Most of my stuff is set up with Tec-Loc.

I use a Wilderness 5 stitch w/ insert, belt. Mark Otto shotshell holder mounted on separate belt. with 2, 6 shell carriers.

As others have mentioned, I configure the belt depending on the stage.

I use the Tek-Loks with the ELS forks. One day, I will drill holes in my outer belt or buy the proper belt. I had the Tek-Lok system, but wanted a little faster change rate between stages. Happy with my setup. I have the Taccom 16 up chest rig with a piece of Kydex mounted to the back for support. With the IP caddies included, I can have 54 rounds of shotgun ammo on my person at one time. I suggest at least three pistol mag pouches just to be safe. May need more with a single stack gun. I recommend a mag extension on the shogun with a 9 plus capacity. My shotgun holds eleven rounds.....

ELS mounted on DAA belt. The belt is MUCH stiffer with stronger velcro than the Safariland belt. My holster doesn't flop around (using the Invictus holster hanger mounted on QLS) like it did with the Safariland belt.

The ELS components are robust. They are great for switching out what is needed for different stages. With QLS on the holster, I can pull the entire holster off if it is needed for a stage or just being more comfortable driving between stages/at lunch/what have you.

At least 3 pistol mag pouches. Bladetechs work well, but many options. Most I've ever needed was 4 pistol mag pouches (high round count pistol stage with planned reloads).

Only need 1 rifle mag pouch and rarely even that.....but for looooong stages like RM3G, there are been times that you'll want 2 rifle mag pouches. Bladetech AR mag pouch is a good, common one.

For shotgun caddies, be able to fit at least 16 on the belt, but be prepared for big matches needing 32-40 shells for long shotgun stages. I can fit 36 on my belt if real estate isn't needed for pistol mags. Using Invictus Practical shell carriers, but others have their pros/cons also.

Hope that helps.

post-25162-0-52548500-1428698267_thumb.j

post-25162-0-74084900-1428698276_thumb.j

post-25162-0-01067900-1428698285_thumb.j

post-25162-0-77151900-1428698290_thumb.j

Thank you for the suggestions. For those who use blade-tek do you switch up your belt configuration between stages? I know this is a big selling point for Safariland ELS. I'm curious if switching blade-telk is really that much more cumbersome.

Yes, with the BT tek-loks, you have to remove your belt to swap out pouches.

With the ELS, you don't. Plus, the ELS receivers bolt directly to the ELS belt, so it is cheaper to boot.

Yes, with the BT tek-loks, you have to remove your belt to swap out pouches.

With the ELS, you don't. Plus, the ELS receivers bolt directly to the ELS belt, so it is cheaper to boot.

With the tek-loks you can use Blade-Tech's TMMS attachments. You don't have to remove your belt an you don't have to punch holes in it either. Use a little stick on Velcro on the back of the Tek-Loks to increase the contact between the inner and outer belts. I use this set up for my shell holders and rifle mag pouch. Holster and pistol mags stay on the belt at all times.

ELS on the CR Speed Hi-torque is currently the best all-around set up for me. I have been running this for almost 2 years now and I get all the benefits of the stiffest belt, excellent velcro contact, ELS ease, no brackets or plastic plates on the inside of the outer belt.

ELS mounted on DAA belt. The belt is MUCH stiffer with stronger velcro than the Safariland belt. My holster doesn't flop around (using the Invictus holster hanger mounted on QLS) like it did with the Safariland belt.

The ELS components are robust. They are great for switching out what is needed for different stages. With QLS on the holster, I can pull the entire holster off if it is needed for a stage or just being more comfortable driving between stages/at lunch/what have you.

At least 3 pistol mag pouches. Bladetechs work well, but many options. Most I've ever needed was 4 pistol mag pouches (high round count pistol stage with planned reloads).

Only need 1 rifle mag pouch and rarely even that.....but for looooong stages like RM3G, there are been times that you'll want 2 rifle mag pouches. Bladetech AR mag pouch is a good, common one.

For shotgun caddies, be able to fit at least 16 on the belt, but be prepared for big matches needing 32-40 shells for long shotgun stages. I can fit 36 on my belt if real estate isn't needed for pistol mags. Using Invictus Practical shell carriers, but others have their pros/cons also.

Hope that helps.

Did you drill the holes on your belt or use a punch?

Used a soldering iron to melt holes through. Clean edges.
Post some pics I'd like to see how that turned out.

There are pics farther up the thread. What are you wanting to see?

Used a soldering iron to melt holes through. Clean edges.

Never would have thought about that!

Not going to pretend that I didn't read about that idea from someone else. :)

People have used punches, drills, and soldering iron method. I picked soldering iron since i knew the material would be melted to avoid fraying, the drill twisting up the material to cause unraveling, pulling, or what have you, etc.........due to prior experience burning the ends of paracord, nylon ropes, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope that helps.

Austin, where did you source/buy the flush aluminum nuts and allen head screws in your setup?

Hope that helps.

Austin, where did you source/buy the flush aluminum nuts and allen head screws in your setup?

That is just Safariland's hardware. I had a bunch of it from ELS kits, various Safariland holsters, etc.

Tmms here. Flexibility is good. For rifle mags, carry at least 2, because you may start rifle unloaded with mags coming from the belt.

Pistol at least 3, 4 is better

I run ap customs load 2. 20 shells I think

I do something a tad different. I use a Safariland belt. Some of the positions have straight up ELS female sides permanently mounted some positions have tec locks on the belt. On the tec locks is mounted the female side of an ELS. All pouches have ELS male sides. Holster is mounted w a drop down and QLS.

This way, if I have to move something, I can. But also have the quick change ability of the ELS.

May be overkill. But it is easy to get stuff on an off without taking the belt off. Sometimes it is hard to get a tec lock on or off a belt while you have it on because of the velcro.