Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm AR vs Reloading .223

FlightMurse

So I am looking into the local 3-gun league and the range only has shots out to 50 yards. I am set up to load 9mm on a Dillon 650 already and I have a .223 AR that would work (14.5'' mid-length LW set up), but I can't decide if it would be easier to pick up a 9mm AR or a quick change kit to reload .223. I figure by the time I get dies, the RT 1200, etc. it will end up about the same cost. If the recommendation is for ar AR what would you pick? I have looked into CMMG or Colt 6951. Thanks!

9mm would also allow me to shoot at my steel closer. Are the CMMG decent builds or is it worth stepping up to a JP or something else? I have looked at the circle quarter 10 lowers which would enable my Glock mags to work.

It's cheaper and less work to reload 9mm versus 223. However, the act of reloading - changing magazines - while shooting is much faster for me with 223 versus 9mm. Plus, I live in a 10-round state so the decision was easy to switch to 223 even though I've had a Colt 9mm AR-15 for years. Just my two cents.

I have used both the Colt mag systems and the Glock Mag systems.

The weakness of the Colt pattern is the magazines. C Products makes a great mag and it is the only reliable colt pattern mag I have found.

I prefer the Glock mag platforms. The JP is good but $. Lone wolf makes a great Glock mag lower with 40 and 9mm uppers.

For the money, go Lone Wolf!

DDLES and circle quarter 10 lowers are out of spec and a pain in the neck to work with. The bolt hold open will activate at random times while shooting fast and mine malfunctioned twisting up like a pretzel and causing a terible jam. It is to late for me, but you can avoid this train wreck.

I really like shooting 9mm for under 100 yard matches. It's fun, if nothing else. Especially with a can. I bought a Just Right Carbine just for the occasion. It takes Glock mags, so only one mag on the belt for 2 guns.

If I weren't already set up and loading for it, I would be buying reman. from Freedom Munitions or new .223 with the current prices.

9mm would also allow me to shoot at my steel closer. Are the CMMG decent builds or is it worth stepping up to a JP or something else? I have looked at the circle quarter 10 lowers which would enable my Glock mags to work.

I don't know about their receivers but the CMMG bolt catch on my 9mm broke within 50 rounds the other day.....

I heard that a heavier buffer will help with mag catch issues, slowing down the bolt. YMMV. (Just commenting based on the research I am doing for a 9mm upper build - WIP)

Tito

Friend of mine has the Circle 10 and he seems to like it. Had some issues with a drop in Geissele trigger. My JP GMR13 runs well. It has the improved ejector and silent capture spring with light bolt carrier. Can cycle 147gr game loads as well as hot 9mm loads I've tried. The only negative is bolt doesn't lock back on empty Glock mag.

Got a 9mm YHM upper a while back so that I can practice and shoot regular pistol stages and steel close up.

It has the JP 9mm "comp" and I also got the 9mm SCS, but after some testing with both 147gr and 115gr bullets and 3n37 powders, Ive come to realize that there's just no way it's ever going to be as soft and flat as my .223s.

As a practice/plinking platform it's pretty nice, but even at close range, it's not going to run with the .223s.

I could not get the CProduct mags to run at all, but the Metalform ones work fine and after switching, it's now run a few hundred rounds without any malfunctions.

Getting match triggers to run well in a 9mm platform might be a bit of a challenge as well and not being able to get anything but a milspec trigger to run isnt going to help you against the .223s.

I have a CMMG 9mm carbine with a geissele SD3G and it runs great. I used it the last two years at MGM Ironman and other than too much lube or a broken firing pin, it had no problems.

With 125gr MG JHP, i can do 6" groups at 100 yards. With 147s, it's all over the place.

I also had to add weight to the buffer tube as well as add coins to tune it. Other than that, no other tuning was required.

I built a 9mm upper, and use it with a Hahn top-drop-in block in my existing AR15 SBR lower receiver. With a ramped CMMG bolt and bobbed M16 hammer, it runs 100% reliably with both Metalform (Colt pattern) and modified Uzi magazines. It is easy to switch back to 5.56 just by changing uppers and removing the block. The only thing I am missing is the last round BHO, but this is unwise in a 9mm in any case as it can lead to bent BHO and/or battered receiver... with a big enough mag, I never run out of ammo anyway :devil:

AR159mmBigStickMagazine20.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Any excuse to buy another gun works for me. :) I know a few guys running Rock River 9mm AR's and they seem to like them for short range 3-gun matches. The ammo and brass availability is the greatest benefit.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=237

I was shooting a CX4 Storm 9mm carbine until our local short range 3gun matches dried up.

:(

Case prep and using 5x the powder for .223 ammo stinks compared to 9mm reloading.

I built a 9mm upper, and use it with a Hahn top-drop-in block in my existing AR15 SBR lower receiver. With a ramped CMMG bolt and bobbed M16 hammer, it runs 100% reliably with both Metalform (Colt pattern) and modified Uzi magazines. It is easy to switch back to 5.56 just by changing uppers and removing the block. The only thing I am missing is the last round BHO, but this is unwise in a 9mm in any case as it can lead to bent BHO and/or battered receiver... with a big enough mag, I never run out of ammo anyway :devil:

AR159mmBigStickMagazine20.jpg

That bad boy is SHORT!! Mine is 27" with the can....

C products 9mm mags are crap. The standard is the Metalform mag, which is a modification of the original Uzi mag.

Mick

The weakness of the Colt pattern is the magazines. C Products makes a great mag and it is the only reliable colt pattern mag I have found.

I prefer the Glock mag platforms. The JP is good but $. Lone wolf makes a great Glock mag lower with 40 and 9mm uppers.

DDLES and circle quarter 10 lowers are out of spec and a pain in the neck to work with. The bolt hold open will activate at random times while shooting fast and mine malfunctioned twisting up like a pretzel and causing a terible jam. It is to late for me, but you can avoid this train wreck.

C products 9mm mags are crap. The standard is the Metalform mag, which is a modification of the original Uzi mag.

Mick

My YHM bolt can't even pass between the feedlips of a CProducts mag. I tried opening one up, but that turned the gun into a jam-o-matic.

Metalform all the way here.

Also tried a few different triggers (JP, Timney, Geissele, notched/rounded "milspec") and apart from the rounded milspec, the only one I got to work was JP's.

Glock mags are the only way to go.

I built one with a DDLES lower. The lower is great, DDLES as a business is not so great. If you can find them on the shelf at a dealer, then I would order one. Just don't order direct from DDLES. For the bolt catch, go with an H3 buffer to slow down the bolt. Some even still stick a spacer or stack of quarters in the buffer tube to slow it down even further.

The 9mm will never shoot as flat because of it being blow back, but is WAY fun to shoot.

Never really liked the looks of the Glock mags on a AR style platform....I bought a Stag Arms 9T (9mm) added a 3lug mount and bought the unmarked metalforms from CDNN. Not the cheapest route but it has been problem free....even with reloads that dont quite gauge perfectly.