Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock III upgrades in progress

Just wondering if anyone is actually messing with the sear-hammer engagement surfaces?

I keep thinking about getting one of the stoning jigs from Power Custom for my 1911s. I notice they also have an adaptor for the CZ 75 and Tangfolio EA-9/P9.

Wonder if that would also work for the Stock II/IIIs.

But that's an additional $250 or so once you pay for jig, adaptor and stone.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to do that get the EGW sear and Hammer. I may have a brand new EGW sear for sale if you are interested. Trade for a part in your spare parts kit?

EDIT: EGW is for SA guns. No lifter on it for firing pin block. Will work in DA but not Prod legal.

Edited by praetorian97

I've actually wondered about that... Why couldn't you modify the EGW sear to work with the lifter from the two piece sear? Then you have a thru hardened sear that is still compatible with SA/DA and the firing pin block. And because it is all internal, it is still legal for USPSA Production. Not sure how much there would be to gained there though...

Just wondering if anyone is actually messing with the sear-hammer engagement surfaces?

I keep thinking about getting one of the stoning jigs from Power Custom for my 1911s. I notice they also have an adaptor for the CZ 75 and Tangfolio EA-9/P9.

Wonder if that would also work for the Stock II/IIIs.

But that's an additional $250 or so once you pay for jig, adaptor and stone.

I have that setup, and its "ok". Mine doesn't cut the sear surface at square angle. So if I flip the sear and hit it with the stone you can see that it only hits on one side.

I am looking for advice. I finally got my hands on a Stock 3 and want to begin my mods. First, the recoil spring. I am shooting 115 grain 9mm rounds. I was thinking that leaving the stock recoil spring in is a good idea because of the lighter bullet. Second, I measured the trigger pull at just under 4.5 lbs. I need to have a minimum of 3.5 lbs. Does anyone know what reduction I will get if I change the plunger spring using the plunger spring in the Henning stock 2 upgrade kit. i was thinking about just polishing hings up and leaving it be.

Hey Robert - Hammer cocked back and safety on will lock in the FPB as expected. No tuning needed.

Took it out to the range today. Ran in SA mode flawlessly however in DA I would get about 2 light primer striker out of 12 with Remington Primers. I have the Xtreme "light" Firing Pin Spring and Hammer. The hammer is rated at 13.8 Lbs. Probably will go up a little in Hammer Spring weight.

For you that dont know the DA hammer stroke is slightly shorter than SA hammer stroke.

Edited by praetorian97

Which firing pin are you running. With that spring combination and the Henning DA/SA firing pin my stock 2 makes a serious indention on Winchester primers. I can launch a pencil about 10" on DA

Any chance of high primers?

I started with the EG firing pin (before Henning came out with his) and would get lite strikes. Once I switched to the Henning pin I have had zero lite strikes.

One thing I like to do is wrap a #2 pencil with 800 or 1000 grit sand paper chuck it up in a drill and polish the firing pin channel and the channel for the hammer spring.

Finished my initial run at reworking my Stock III last night. Lots of new Extreme parts. Lots of polishing. Also added the one-piece sear.

Much smoother now, though I may go back in for some more polishing. And I still haven't tried fitting the CGW T3 disco yet.

Everything seems fine, except that thumb safety will no longer engage. I'm assuming it's going to need some modification to go along with the new sear. Anyone have any guidance on which surface needs tuning?

Thumb safety almost always need fitting to the sear. You will want to make or buy a slave pin for this task.

Holding the gun like you are shooting it. The left front leg of the sear is not clearing the nub on the safety. These much match up. Take a little material off at a time. Dont over due it or you have now made the safety useless and in turn made the gun competition illegal. The sear slave pin makes the tedious act of removing the sear several times much easier. Start at the tip and work your way back.

My one piece sear was fitted to another limited and I had issues fitting it to this one. My OCD is going to install another fresh one piece sear when it arrives.

Take a look at the safety function with the slide off the gun. There is a square notch on the safety that should fit under the sear leg on the left side of the sear. You need to file down the underside of that hook on the sear until you can swing the safety up underneath it. Don't take too much off though. It's possible to take too much off the sear, and the hammer will drop is SA with the safety engaged.

I will put the sear and spring in, put the pin in far enough to keep sear steady then use Glock tool and thread thru opposite side and once lined up push the pin thru and easy done. Definitely wouldn't remove material from safety when fitting sear. It's a tedious process but sears are much cheaper and it doesn't take a whole lot off sear to get safety to work properly.