Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steve Broom

Allan & Jan's Customs

It happened at a range in Oklahoma this afternoon and we are still waiting on details of exactly what happened. I will greatly miss him.

I just spoke to one of the Tulsa shooters who felt that it would be okay with the family for me to post this information to help ease the worry. Steve's passing was not related to any type of shooting accident. It is tragic and sad that he left life at such a young age. There is at least small solace in that fact he was doing what he loved when it happened. This should be a reminder to us all to be live life fully and pursue what we love.

Edited by carinab

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Steve and James drove from Kansas to our first match at the Doubletapranch in North Texas. This sport has lost a great competitor but more important the world has lost a great person. He will be missed.

I wanted to thank everyone for the kind words about Steve. He really was a great guy and the love of my life. Some of you know me or may have seen me with Steve at matches or at one of his class. Steve loved shooting and loved being able to teach others what he knew. I am glad that he touched so many people.

So there are no rumors the M.E. just said that Steve was one of the healthiest people they have seen and they have no reason as of yet for this tragedy.

Arrangements will be made in the Tulsa area, possibly as soon as Saturday.

My condolences and prayers for the Broom family. I had the opportunity to attend one of Steve's classes and shoot a match with him. Steve's teaching was great. In a class full of shooters whose skills varied from novice to expert, Steve instructed each of us patiently. The sincere encouragement and advice I took away from that class has made me a much better shooter. I consider myself fortunate for having met Steve Broom and having learned from such a gifted teacher and shooter.

Trey Billingsley

I met Steve briefly at last year's Nationals; which is to say I barely knew him at all. The outpouring of genuine love, honor and respect for this man saddens me for having missed the chance to get to know him better.

I am struck by two things:

-- To have touched so many as he, in such a positive way, is the mark of a life lived well.

-- To have out-lived such a good and young light of life seems a mis-deal of the cards.

With bowed head, I offer my most sincere and humble respects for this family and loved ones,

Mark Ramsey

I considered Steve a good friend. I still can't believe it. It seemed just like yesterday when I had dinner with him, Manny, Seeker, Turtle, and others. It's just not fair...he will be missed. My condolences to his friends and family.

Phil Strader

I just wanted to add my thoughts and prayers. Steve and I communicated back and forth via email trying to get to a match so we could shoot together...I only wish now that I tried harder to make that happen.

I have sent an email to all the area directors of USPSA requesting that they consider renaming the US Limited 10 Championship trophy, the Steve Broom Memorial Limited 10 United States Champion.

I thought this would be a way that we could forever remember Steve since he was (I hate to use that word) the current United States Limited 10 Champion.

Please if you feel the same, take the time to send a message to your area BOD member that you support this idea. Steve was a great champion and his legacy should be remembered for future generations to our sport.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones,

Respectfully,

Larry Houck

I have sent an email to all the area directors of USPSA requesting that they consider renaming the US Limited 10 Championship trophy, the Steve Broom Memorial Limited 10 United States Champion.

I have written my Area Director, Charles Bond (A6) asking his support of this idea. As I said in my message to Mr. Bond, "....what good is a championship if not to honor champions?"

It is my sincere hope that Mr. Bond, and the other Area Directors will agree with this gesture.

I sincerely doubt I would ever be able to, but if God and lightning struck I would be very proud to win a trophy titled, "The Steve Broom Memorial Limited10 National Championship".

Mark Ramsey

I met Steve at an OK IDPA state championship match a couple of years ago. He seemed to be a nice guy who was a great shooter. This last spring I talked to him again by phone and we traded a few e-mails. He turned out to be a very nice guy, who treated an average shooter such as myself, absolutely as an equal.

This is very sad news. He will be missed. God Bless his family, his girlfriend and his many other close personal friends, all of us in the shooting sports share your loss.

Mike Kerr

I only got to see Steve shoot a couple of times but was very impressed and had no doubt he was going to be a leader in the next generation of the best both in skill and as a person. Our deepest condolences to his family and girlfriend.

Ross Carter

The parents and brother of Stephen Broom greatly appreciate your overwhelming support and kind thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. We invite you to show respects and say farewell at his memorial.

A casual viewing of Steve's urn and a display of his shooting accomplishments will be available on Tuesday, February 22, 2005.

Steve's memorial will be open to all guests from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. at:

Mobley-Dodson Funeral Service

211 East Broadway

Sand Springs, OK

918-245-6644

The Hampton Inn Tulsa-Sand Springs is offering a reduced rate for all guests of Steve's memorial.

Hampton Inn Tulsa-Sand Springs

7852 W. Parkway Blvd.

Tulsa, OK 74127

918-245-8500

-Charles, Gwen, and James Broom

Oh My God!!

I haven't been on the forum much this week, lots of work, and I just found this thread. I can't believe it! Steve kicked my but at Area 3 last year, and I was REALLY looking forward to shooting against him this coming season. I just can't believe it.

My deepest condolences. A great loss to all.

Fellow Shooters,

Red Castle Gun Club in Tulsa, after much debate, decided to have their regularly scheduled IDPA match today. Red Castle member (and mine and Steve's friend) Curt Nichols e-mailed me the announcement he made before the match today to honor Steve. I have quoted it completely:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We have lost one of our own. Last week at this range Steve Broom passed away. Steve did not die from a shooting incident, he died of a physical ailment.

For those who did not know him, Steve was 32, was a shooting instructor, and a shooter of rare ability.

Shooting was Steve’s life. I had the privilege of traveling with Steve a time or two. To watch him at the end of the day was a marvel. After putting on a match that frankly left no one near, he was prone to having his beloved 1911 still in his hand. To watch him bounce mags in and out, gracefully take site pictures, and generally just enjoy himself left no doubt what his true love was.

Steve was a good shooter. Steve was a better person. Steve didn’t care if you were a master or a novice. He didn’t care if you were a potential student or not. Steve treated everyone with respect and consideration. He always had time for

anyone with a question or a concern. Steve just had a calm tranquility and friendliness. I will miss him.

Steve's last day was at this range, his pistol on his hip, good friends at his side. Not a bad way to go, just tragically too soon.

Our sympathies and care go to Steve's friends and family. Steve was not a man to be forgotten, or ever replaced.

Prayer: Dear Lord, accept Steve Broom into your care. Give him green ranges, taped targets, and friendly SO's. Give his loved ones consolation and care in these difficult times. In the name of your son, Jesus, we pray.