Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Gun opinion

rmj339

"Better" is subjective to the individual shooter. I went from an XDM40 to an STI Edge. I like the weight and the single action trigger.

Do not expect a gun to make you better. However, getting a gun you are excited to shoot will make you want to shoot more. This extra practice *may* lead to better scores.

I made the change for the better trigger . The weight also helps. 200 round practice with major in a hour and half Saturday was no big deal with the sti. Im enjoying the sti trigger so much that I'm going to carry the heavier sti in 3gun also

Edited by Maize

When I started in USPSA, I had a 4 inch 1911. Good trigger and was my carry gun. It was 'suggested' that I buy a 5 inch gun to get a longer site radius. What a difference that made! The gun didn't make me a better shooter, but allowed me to acquire a quicker 'acceptable' site picture with the longer site radius.

I shoot an STI Edge 40 in Limited which is pretty stock except a good trigger job. I shot it for about 22 months (lots of practice rounds and matches). Last fall my club hosts a Single Stack match, so I put the Edge down and picked up my Single Stack. The difference in the way the gun handled was amazing. The Edge, with the heavier front end is definitely a little tamer when shooting on the move (doesn't bounce nearly as much). Getting the sites back on target felt quicker with the Edge than the Single Stack although that could have been because I was more used to the Edge than the Single Stack.

Others have said it before. Buying a new Edge or other Limited gun will not make you a better shooter, but will allow some of your skills to increase more rapidly in my opinion.

Good Luck!

P.S. People compare their striker fired triggers to 1911/2011's for a reason. Once you shoot single action, its very hard to go back.

Edited by Trent1k1

I started with a Glock 35 almost 3 years ago, as they are reasonably priced and I was used to Glocks. Then I shot my buddie's SS STI - I forget which model, but I had to have one. I found an STI Executive on this forum and purchased it last year. It is phenomenal. The trigger difference between a striker fire and single action hammer can't be compared - 1911 triggers are superior. I shoot marginally better with the STI, but it is insignificant. Take the plunge - you won't regret it.

I'm currently having a custom 2011 built as an upgrade from my XDm 4.5". I knew that I would eventually shoot a 2011 as I fell in love after shooting a friends. So I decided to save up and switch while I'm still fairly new to the sport (3 seasons). In theory, the switch should be easier than it would be after 10+ seasons.

I went fully custom because I've never been one to keep anything like the way it is built from the factory. I've always heavily modified cars, motorcycles, my XDm, etc. I figured by the time I did all the upgrades I wanted to a stock STI, I would be close to the price of a custom gun anyway. Why not have it built exactly how I want from the beginning. So that's my 2 cents OP, YMMV.

I used 2011 pistols in IPSC and USPSA competition for more than a decade. However, as my interests moved more in the direction of 3-Gun, I decided to switch to the M&P platform for drop-and-go abandonment (no thumb safety to worry about). In other words, I did the reverse of what you are considering.

What I found was that the M&P's ergonomics are even better than the 2011; great grip fit, lower bore axis etc. With the availability of the Apex FSS trigger system, which can be tuned to be very nearly as good as a 1911/2011, I have a pistol that I can shot every bit as well as a 2011 (actually, better) yet is about 1/3 the price. Accessories/parts/magazines are also much cheaper. This lower price has allowed me to afford multiple pistols in different configurations and calibers for different uses (USPSA Limited, USPSA Production, 3-Gun, home defense etc.) without busting the budget.

Perhaps most important, the M&P is a fundamentally more modern, reliable and robust platform than the 2011. The M&P runs pretty much any ammo I feed it, whereas a 2011 requires .40S&W to be loaded long. I have 7 M&Ps and they have almost never malfunctioned. I rarely clean the guns or magazines. They just run. Don't underestimate the value of the confidence that only comes from having a gun you can trust to work 100% come hell or high water.

Before you fork out the fat end of $2k+ on a completely new pistol, you might consider whether you can upgrade your existing M&P to enhance its performance. Maybe post your current configuration so we can see what might be possible.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have a 2011 and a glock 35 all tricked out. What I have found is that my times are very close to the same with both pistols. There seems to be a little more accuracy at high speed shooting with the sti.

In other words, it's the Indian an not the arrow. Unless your in A or master class I don't think you will see much improvement..... But if you want an sti get it. Don't try to justify it thinking it will magically make you a better shooter......

I've been through a lot of guns because I enjoy getting new stuff but if you want to get better stick with a gun, dry fire, and burn ammo. If I could only follow my own advice! Lol

Edited by 3djedi

well my classifications haven't improved in either uspsa or idpa,but when I switched from glock 34/35 to sti eagle/edge i really feel my shooting has improved, and I am finishing a little higher than I used to. at least for me, the 2011 ergos and trigger are a big improvement over the glocks.

I currently shoot an M&P pro 40 but see alot more STI 40 in limited division. Just wondering if the 2011 is really that much better and if it was what STI do yall recommend.

Thanks

You might also check out the witness elite limited and the CZ TS. All metal heavy guns at 1/2 the price. They are around $1100.

I currently shoot an M&P pro 40 but see alot more STI 40 in limited division. Just wondering if the 2011 is really that much better and if it was what STI do yall recommend.

Thanks

Just look at what top 20 shooters use at a major match :)

It's a lot more $$$, a whole new level.

Or you can clamp sh#t all over your glock to make it awesome!

Why do you suppose he weighted the slide?

5d414a7bd676541b0e8972a49b341a14.jpg

This is Bob vogel's glock. The one with which he won the world shoot....

keep you burgerhook off the bang switch until your peepers are on the hamburgler .......

Edited by 3djedi

I shoot an M&P pro 40 but see more STI 40 in limited division. Just wondering if the 2011 is really that much better

The STI is heavier, has a much better trigger for games, and is much

more accurate.

The ONLY advantage to the M&P (for games) is it's cheaper and if you carry that

kind of trigger daily, it might be tough to go back and forth from SA to M&P trigger.

I personally like the all metal guns. I find the recoil management to be better....for me. It is a bit subjective tho. Try both and go with what you're comfortable with.

+1 on this. I shoot a Tanfoglio Limited. It is about 43-45 oz. The recoil is nothing.

Edited by BiggMike

keep you burgerhook off the bang switch until your peepers are on the hamburgler .......

He wanted it to weigh the same as his 24, which is not legal in IPSC Standard

If you want to get serious about Limited, get a 2011 or maybe something like a CZ TS.

There is a reason most of the top limited shooters choose those guns. And it's not because they are eager to spend money.

Those heavier guns with their fantastic triggers make a difference.

It may very well be "The Indian and not the arrow." But give the Indian better arrows and he'll shoot better with them.

That thing weighs a lot more the a g24. The light internals were emptied out and filled with weight. I don't know why he wanted more weight on the slide though....

He added weight to compete with the 2011's and Eric gruffels tanfo.......

That thing weighs a lot more the a g24. The light internals were emptied out and filled with weight. I don't know why he wanted more weight on the slide though....

He added weight to compete with the 2011's and Eric gruffels tanfo.......

I think the poster ment that he wanted the slide to weight the same as his g24 slide

It is kind of funny that we emphasize the gear so much! Bob took second at world shoot, and second at nationals with his superweighted plastic fantastic, beating out scores of people shooting "better" guns. The predicted tungsten sleeved barrel smack down didn't happen, exotic guns didn't prevail- Nils won it shooting a very well made, but plain jane 2011. It didn't even have slide lightening. There is something about the Indian and not the arrow, but at the same time I wouldn't choose shoot a dumb arrow if it was within my means to do otherwise. I wouldn't call the top GMs "sheep" because the bulk of them choose 2011s or pretend that they just have never been exposed to say, a Tanfoglio or CZ for limited before.

To the OP, my first real limited gun was a G24. I got a lot of recommendations to switch to a 2011, so I did. I didn't have an immediate jump in performance. I was a B class Ltd shooter at the time.

I did find that switching to a 2011 I stopped making excuses for myself. I started to improve because I accepted responsibility for my performance. As fun as it is to say you won X local match shooting a plastic gun too many people will turn around and defend their losses "well the guys that beat me were shooting fancy 2011s". It is the ultimate ego protection mechanism. You can blame your victories on your awesomeness, and your failures on the gear.

I got a new gun that I really like built last fall, and I am enjoying it quite a bit. Having something you like makes it more enjoyable to practice and gives you confidence is a big value adder.

If you don't yet reload, I would say the biggest "gear improvement" to be had is setting up a good progressive to be able to get more rounds down range. After that, I would say buying an Edge style gun, whether that is one of the competition ready models or even dropping the coin on having a gun built would be the next step. Then you will never have to worry about "what if" you were using a better gun- its a tried and true proven platform. They are durable, easy to keep running, and there is a wealth of knowledge about them. I don't think you would ever regret the switch.