Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Gun opinion

rmj339

I am currently on the cusp of mediocrity. 39% uspsa shooter. I shoot a g34 in production. I have plenty of room to improve with my polymer before I will have any compelling desire to get a stock 2. The glock serves it's purpose. It is reliable, and it's one less distraction I will have when I'm trying to improve. Plus I like the grip angle.

Or you can clamp sh#t all over your glock to make it awesome!

Why do you suppose he weighted the slide?

5d414a7bd676541b0e8972a49b341a14.jpg

This is Bob vogel's glock. The one with which he won the world shoot....

keep you burgerhook off the bang switch until your peepers are on the hamburgler .......

He wanted it to weigh the same as his 24, which is not legal in IPSC Standard

That thing weighs a lot more the a g24. The light internals were emptied out and filled with weight. I don't know why he wanted more weight on the slide though....

Weight on the slide is still weight out front, which makes the gun balance better. Sure, you get more reciprocating weight, but muzzle flip with 165pf loads isn't a huge issue at that level. It always cracks me up when people cut weight out of glock slides, because everybody that has had real success with a glock has either done the opposite or nothing at all.

To the OP: Plastic guns can be competitive in limited and several pros have been really successful with them. If I remember, Strader won A4 limited a few years ago with a M&P 40. That said, in my experience it takes a lot more work to master trigger control and recoil management with a plastic gun than with a single action 2011. The flip side of that is that precision-tuned guns require a lot more attention and care to keep running than plastic guns. I love my STI, but there are definitely days that I've wanted to throw it over the berm and go back to a Glock just to avoid equipment problems.

Edited by Rob D

As a side note, I have a 2nd Gen G17 that flat out doesn't work. Clean it, fresh springs, brand new mags, factory ammo...still no dice. Won't make it through a match without puking several times. My G24 ran so I don't think I am limp wristing it as Glock technician suggested...

We have a local shooter that made GM with a Glock and started shooting Limited with a 35. His classification was M but he sure wasn't shooting like it with that gun. He had a custom 2011 built and now he is shooting like a competitive master. I didn't have a huge bump, but I believe there are scenarios where gear is a limiter, and reliability is a huge part of that.

I've found Glock mags take next to no effort to keep running but some Glocks are cursed, and that the adjustments to 2011s once made properly can keep them running for a long time in a broad variety of conditions. The downside to the 2011 platform for me is the mags... a perfectly tuned gun can be choked by a dirty mag. Its not a big deal to pop off the base pad and run a brush through after you drop one though.

Nobody is going to do there best if they have gun problems. Most issues I've had our seen have been ammo related. I think Gluck makes a very reliable platform. I have never had any issues with their guns, even beat up rentals, etc. I also have a Trojan that runs great so far. I haven't seen the same reliability from other 1911s though. I started with the glock. It is the platform I am most proficient with. I have much slower times when I shoot the Trojan. If I ever switch, I think I will have to make a wholesale change

To the original question it is a matter of economics and emotion...

Economics because, how big of a stack of money you gonna throw into this...

Emotion because, you gonna spend it on a bitchin new gun.... Makes you feel awesome...

Or

You gonna spend it on a big pile of training ammo.... Makes you shoot awesome

Most of us (self often included) go for the gear, no shame in it!

• 3 months later...

I always competed with my XDm .40 4.5" I was in a similar boat. I love the sport, but wanted to be a little more competitive and move from production to Limited and seeing the same thing I bought a STI Executive. I have had it at the range and the groups it shoots are best i have shot with a pistol. The XDm was solid but I finally could afford an STI so I bought it.

I have a shoot in two weeks and will be my first time with it at a competition. But I noticed my second shot was much tighter than with the XD. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would link mine from last weekend. This will be my first shooting in limited rather than production ( I'm just looking forward to more than 10 rounds and less reloads).