Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to get affordable steel targets?

nikelax73

Hey all,

So I've been kicking myself to buy a set of steel targets to take out shooting but here I remain.

Every time I decide its time to buy them, I see the price tag of the big name steel target distributors and lose my nerve.

Do I need to just bite the bullet and pull the trigger on it (punny) or is there a better solution?

Rifle rated or just pistol? You can get away with a heck of a lot cheaper steel for just pistol.

Correct.

Also, for the most part you get what you pay for. For longevity of the targets and safety, buying a quality steel target is the way to go.

Shipping is a big part of the price, so seek a reputable seller close to your locale. Here in the PNW, that's MGM targets plus some much smaller/local suppliers.

I went to a local metal fabrication shop and had some 10" round plates and 2-2/3 size uspsa ipsc made just took him demontions. 10" round were $10 each and larger ipsc were $30 each. Then you just have to figure out how you want to mount them or set them up

Check into GT Targets. Karl makes some of the best steel targets in the business with very fair prices.

Be cautious going to "local" fabrication shops since they most likely have no clue about what is needed. The reason good steel targets are expensive is because when using the correct grade of steel such as AR400 or AR500, the price of the steel is much higher than mild steel you might get from the local guy. Mild steel might be cheap but will never last as long or be as safe as AR400 or AR500.

Arntzen targets. Depending what exactly you are looking for, they have a variety and can make stuff to your liking. At the time i ordered, year ago, they were on the cheaper end and great to deal with. Fyi, i only have the ar500 round plates in various sizes and have been very happy with them

We just made our own, but then I have cutting and welding equipment. We bought mostly scrap 1/2" mild steel plate . . . and some new steel plate.

Do not let people tell you that you need AR plate for hand gun targets. We do make our long range rifle targets out of AR plate.

We have poppers and plates (on the pistol range) that are 5+ years old and still flat, made from 1/2" plate. We have found 3/8" plate will start to "bow" after a couple years.

1/4" thick poppers sitting on a base (not attached to the base) is what we shot at the Open. They made lots of noise (cool) must have been AR500 to be so thin. Looked to do just fine seemed to be lasting well too. Who knows? They were very light to pick up.

Edited by a matt

We just made our own, but then I have cutting and welding equipment. We bought mostly scrap 1/2" mild steel plate . . . and some new steel plate.

Do not let people tell you that you need AR plate for hand gun targets. We do make our long range rifle targets out of AR plate.

We have poppers and plates (on the pistol range) that are 5+ years old and still flat, made from 1/2" plate. We have found 3/8" plate will start to "bow" after a couple years.

Well I have a nice scar the shape of a C just below my sternum for a mild steel plate that kicked back a .40 slug. I will spend my money with MGM. Free shipping, no sales tax and a 15% discount. That slug made me realize it wasn't worth scrimping on targets.

Were the mild steel plates flat? How were they set? If they were concave or dimpled you should not have been shooting at them. Being flat and the angle at which they are set are the key to steel targets. It doesnt matter if it is mild steel or hardened. A flat plate properly angled will not kick back a slug.

Well I have a nice scar the shape of a C just below my sternum for a mild steel plate that kicked back a .40 slug. I will spend my money with MGM. Free shipping, no sales tax and a 15% discount. That slug made me realize it wasn't worth scrimping on targets.

Check into GT Targets. Karl makes some of the best steel targets in the business with very fair prices.

Be cautious going to "local" fabrication shops since they most likely have no clue about what is needed. The reason good steel targets are expensive is because when using the correct grade of steel such as AR400 or AR500, the price of the steel is much higher than mild steel you might get from the local guy. Mild steel might be cheap but will never last as long or be as safe as AR400 or AR500.

The plates I had made were from ar400. He just happened to have some scrap laying around that he made my stuff with .

The code is JTMGM10 It is a code linked to one of their sponsored shooters, Jesse Tischauser. We get the discount and he gets credit for it. I believe the order needs to be over $250 for both the discount and the free shipping.

www.redstitchtactical.com

Great products by great guys. One of our local matches use them exclusively.

Contact guys at gravitastactical.com , they might be able to get you better prices.