Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need for multiple Hi-Cap Mags in Limited?

Dutchman195

Getting back into USPSA Limited I had a thought that I really only need one mag with the extension on it. Most stages seem to be 28-32rnds. My M&P mag with the TTI extension holds 20 an the other mags have 15rnds. In theory with one reload I'm working with 36rnds which will cover most stages.

Other than just extra insurance, is there a need for rocking 2 or more mags with the extension?

I can think of a few reasons to have at least three mags on your belt, all with the same capacity:

-fumbled reloads

-double feeds

-options on reload position

-makeup shots

15 rounds won't get you through two 8 shot arrays, so that mag is basically only good for one shooting position.

I don't shoot Limited, I have been shooting SS, but I have seen many COFs where the "convenient" reload point for a Limited shooter still left them with a 10 target array. The Limited shooters all huddle up and talk about how "that leaves them with almost no room for error or makeups". I chuckled a little, because I still had to make an additional 2 reloads, and I almost always have no room for error or makeups. It's fun.

You will want at least 2 more hi cap mags. I would probably have 3.

I'm only a dabbler in limited, but 3 20-ish round mags seems like the minimum to me. I keep two 17-rounders as well, for emergencies and for dropping on stages with mandatory reloads (so as to do less mag cleaning during the match).

I'm not very good at math, but it seems like 1 week worth of practice should easily pay for a mag. I'd prefer to cut corners on food and credit card payments.

My M&P mag with the TTI extension holds 20 and the other mags have 15rnds.

is there a need for 2 or more mags with the extension?

I shoot OPEN with a 29 round mag and two 20 round mags - same

course of fire (28-32 rounds).

I always start with the 29+1, and then have two 20's on my belt.

I don't have a 2nd 29 rounder, because I can reload the 20's more

consistently - I tend to fumble the 29's on a reload.

If I shot Limited, I'd want 3-20's IFF I could reload them consistently.

If not, I'd start with a 20, and then have two or three 15's. :cheers:

Also, some multi-string classifiers require a reload during each string. So, that would be one in the gun, and a minimum of three on the belt. For classifiers like this I will download the mags (lighter and possibly more reliable) and change for each string. I like the insurance of a spare mag on the belt, so I use four mag carriers.

Hey, I thought that dropping a big stick is part of the game. Cleaning/inspecting it afterwards is only required if you want it to run reliably! :roflol:

Last match I dropped a 140mm mag and when I picked it up I noticed a round was sticking straight up between the feed lips. I had that nagging feeling I should put that one in the bag and retire it for the day, but nooooo...I loaded that bad boy up and used it on the next stage. Didn't work out well as I felt a funky slide return and it jammed. A round had fed up and the front passed through the lips and stood straight up where it got pinched between the barrel and the breechface crushing the brass case. Ouch. I knew better but was lazy. So, the moral of that story is that any mag dropped can be rendered in-op for the day.

Also, some multi-string classifiers require a reload during each string. So, that would be one in the gun, and a minimum of three on the belt. For classifiers like this I will download the mags (lighter and possibly more reliable) and change for each string. I like the insurance of a spare mag on the belt, so I use four mag carriers.

+1...I was typing this as you posted it

All the above points are very valid reasons to run more than one mag with an extension. It gives you options so you are not bound by solving a stage based on the constraints of your mags. I would personally get all mags to feel the same way (all match mags with extensions except Barney mag) so it's consistent. If you are going back and forth with different size mags, you'll have issues. Get a few extra mag extensions and be prepared.

You drop your big stick on the ground?!?

With the time, effort and money spent on getting a big stick which runs reliably I never plan to let it touch the ground.

I used to do that as well.

But, the way I shoot (I'm only a B, I need all the shots I can get to start. :ph34r:

Most stages don't require more than 30 shots anyway, so I don't drop

my Big Stick too often, but I'll drop it whenever necessary. B)

Of course, any stick that touches the ground, I strip and clean, and

reload it before the next stage. :bow:

And, I have two "Big Sticks". :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I did what you are suggesting for a while. I had a Glock 24 with one 20 round mag and a couple of 15s. While it worked it often forced me to reload later than I wanted to and occasionally twice in a stage. Its fine but sub optimal.

I didn't buy more extensions because I was saving for an STI. If I intended to stick with it, even for a few more months, I would have had at least 3 extensions.

1 mag in the gun to start. 1 mag on the belt for my expected reload. 1 mag on the belt for an unexpected reload (too many makeups, etc). 1 mag on the belt for an "oh $h!%" reload (dropped a previous mag, etc). So 4 would be my minimum. I have a few extra in my bag incase one of my main ones gets buggered up during the day.

3 on belt and 1 in gun usually. if its a real small round cound i might pull one or two out to save weight. Also sometimes them poppers and plates can be naughty and need a lot of persuading to behave. i have seen people unload mag after mag on them.

This was me last weekend. Although it was with single stack mags.

3 on belt and 1 in gun usually. if its a real small round cound i might pull one or two out to save weight. Also sometimes them poppers and plates can be naughty and need a lot of persuading to behave. i have seen people unload mag after mag on them.

Yeah but in single stack don't you guys carry something like 14 mags??

Yeah but in single stack don't you guys carry something like 14 mags??

Haha not quite. I carried 7 on the belt but recently dropped to 6 when I got my other pouches. One stage I had one mag left on the belt. Not a good day!

I don't shoot Limited, I have been shooting SS, but I have seen many COFs where the "convenient" reload point for a Limited shooter still left them with a 10 target array. The Limited shooters all huddle up and talk about how "that leaves them with almost no room for error or makeups". I chuckled a little, because I still had to make an additional 2 reloads, and I almost always have no room for error or makeups. It's fun.

You will want at least 2 more hi cap mags. I would probably have 3.

^^^this^^^

I run at least 3x20 round mags or 2x the rounds required for the stage. I can reload when convenient, not when I have to. I would rather tank the stage due to poor shooting than because I ran out of ammo. (I did that on a shotgun stage in a 3-gun match once)