Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading and starting with 9mm

doc187

I just ordered a dillon sdb and am getting my bench set up. I'd like to get the powder, cases, and bullets so I can get started as soon as the press arrives. I'm interested in 147 grain but am open to starting with 124 if it's easier. Can anyone direct me to a good resource for selecting a load?

Edited by doc187

First, find some powder. HP-38 would be a good choice and it seems to be somewhat available these days. There are numerous other choices for powder in 9mm.

Next, visit the powder manufacturers website for load info.

If you want to load 147 grain bullets then that's what I'd do. 9mm brass is relatively easy to obtain so no issues there. For primers, I'd stick with either CCI or Winchester Small Pistol Primers.

If you can swing it, I'd recommend purchasing or borrowing a Chronograph so you'll know exactly what your ammo is doing in your gun.

I would recommend you purchase a reloading manual and read, read, read. Go slow and be safe.

Thanks guys. I'm getting exited to start. Today I set up my new work bench in the garage. I have a coworker who's been reloading for many years. As was said, I didn't want to seem like a mooch. Not much I can offer this guy, he owns a gun shop and range. I'll pick his brain a little though. I'm in central IL a little south if Springfield. Can anyone recommend a good reloading manual? I'll start with finding some powder and go from there. I've got tons of brass since I have a range on my land and shoot a lot but it's dirty so I'll probably buy some to start with.

I have a coworker who's been reloading for many years. As was said, I didn't want to seem like a mooch. Not much I can offer this guy, he owns a gun shop and range.

Surely there's some value you can provide: process the brass, pull the handle, case gauge, make sandwiches, give foot rubs ;)

I have a coworker who's been reloading for many years. As was said, I didn't want to seem like a mooch. Not much I can offer this guy, he owns a gun shop and range.

Surely there's some value you can provide: process the brass, pull the handle, case gauge, make sandwiches, give foot rubs ;)

he

Agree!!! Ask the guy if under his supervision you can load some ammo on his equipment. You provide the raw material (cases, powder, primers, bullets) unless he prefers to use his and let you pay for the supplies you use. That might be the case because he doesn't want to change his setup to match another set of supplies. That can be time consuming to change and change back to his normal setup.

It's important that you read and learn as much as possible before you get a "lesson". Nobody wants to sign up to teach you from scratch when you could have shortened the process and refined your needs. I find that multiple manuals are informative because they all include some basic info plus none of them cover all the possible loads. Unless you have already established some basic loads for yourself, you will need to do some load development until you home in on favorites.

I caution you to learn as much as possible on your own before proceeding. Frankly darn few people want to be assaulted with a million questions that you could have resolved in advance. Since this guy is apparently in business you might consider buying your equipment through him even if it costs a little more. After all you are asking him for information.

You might also try some of the sportsman's big box stores. They often hold classes on various subjects to spur future sales. They are not comprehensive IMHO but they will get you started.

Buy:

Tumbler to clean brass

Scale with check weights

case gauge

Calipers to measure various lengths

Bullet Puller to fix mistakes

Primer flip cup

RELOADING MANUAL(s) Lyman 49th is good

A light you can angle down into press to make it easier to visually confirm powder charge

A chrono is good if you can afford.

For selecting the load, as others have said, go to the powder MFG site, and cross reference with a manual. Start low and load small sample lots. Use the samples to determine things like function and feel and refine from there.

Plunk test to assure you have an OAL that will work in the intended chambers before loading. Make some sample dummy rounds to verify they will cycle.

Buy:

Tumbler to clean brass

Scale with check weights

case gauge

Primer flip cup

A light you can angle down into press to make it easier to visually confirm powder charge

For selecting the load, as others have said, go to the powder MFG site, and cross reference with a manual. Start low and load small sample lots. Use the samples to determine things like function and feel and refine from there.

Plunk test to assure you have an OAL that will work in the intended chambers before loading. Make some sample dummy rounds to verify they will cycle.

Excellent post, Ken. And, welcome to BE. :cheers:

Buy:

Tumbler to clean brass

Scale with check weights

case gauge

Primer flip cup

Excellent post, Ken. And, welcome to BE. :cheers:

Thanks for the detailed response. I have most of that and am ordering the Lyman 49th. The chrono will be the next big purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

Codemonkey: You said you were using 4.4gr with 124 JHP at 1.13 -

What kind of PF are you getting with that? I'm loading 4.1gr of HP38 under Precision Delta 124 FMJ at 1.14 and getting ~ 131.

Edited by cody6477

I load only 147 9 mm on my Dillon 650. I would strongly suggest finding an NRA metallic reloading class and attending before you get to far along. I took the class before I started getting serious and it was the best thing ever....many, many questions answered..Its part of why we are members.

Ditto on borrowing a chrono after you reach that point. Reloading is a great hobby. I'm not convinced there is that much of a financial gain , but the ability to completely control my loads are worth every moment....my2 cents worth

I personally would not buy bullets until I found powder. I found some AA7 when I started a little over a year ago so I started with 147gr Xtreme bullets.

Edited by JLeeCZ

Codemonkey: You said you were using 4.4gr with 124 JHP at 1.13 -

What kind of PF are you getting with that? I'm loading 4.1gr of HP38 under Precision Delta 124 FMJ at 1.14 and getting ~ 131.

I honestly do not know. I don't have access to a private range anymore and shoot solely at an indoor range now and can't set up my chrono. I haven't seen any signs of high pressure. primers look good, brass is fine, and ejection is normal out of my guns. it's a load that functions great in my MP5 suppressed and unsuppressed, and it's still light enough that in my Zev glock, i don't have issues with recoil. oh, accuracy is good too. one day, i do intend to chrono all my loads again, i just have to find a range that will let me setup my chrono.

Whatever you end up loading, be sure to chamber check the rounds in the gun you plan on running them in. For my 9mm Glocks, I user Bayou Bullets 124TC on top of 4 grains of TiteGroup at 1.125" OAL.

Edited by 9x45

Doc, just remember one thing above all else. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. Every load that you see is safe in the weapon of the poster, but, not necessarily in yours. Check the load before you try in a published manual and go from there. Be safe.

I just ordered a dillon sdb and am getting my bench set up. I'd like to get the powder, cases, and bullets so I can get started as soon as the press arrives. I'm interested in 147 grain but am open to starting with 124 if it's easier. Can anyone direct me to a good resource for selecting a load?

Hi Doc,

I just started re-loading myself. I also started with 9mm for my Glock 17 and 26. What type of gun are you going to re-load for? If it is a Glock I can give some specifics. Check out Xtreme/Freedom for the 147 tips. Good pricing and fast delivery. Let me know if I can help. Good luck and have fun.