Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot sights for pistol

Jimboajubejube

For slide mounted red dots, Trijicon RMR, Leupold Deltapoint, and Aimpoint Micro are some of the better options.

I tried the Leupold Deltapoint mounted in the Bomar cut of my STI 2011, but I didn't like the auto brightness only feature. The dot wasn't bright enough sometimes..

Looking to mount a red dot on the slide of my BUL M5.

I would imagine there are lots of advantages to mounting the red dot

on the frame rather than the slide??? :cheers:

there are, but the BUL M5 has a polymer frame, i asked Cmore and they said you cant drill and tap the polymer frame (obviously). So only option is the slide :cheers:. not sure about lots of advantages though.

Edited by Jimboajubejube

Cmore is best option. I've shot open since 1990 and started using Cmore since 1993 when they first come out. The Serendipity model works great! I've just started with the RTS2 but have had a few issues with it. The RTS2 has a bug in maintaining the dot and they are working to get it fixed. I expect it will be fixed this year but I'd wait on that model...So back to the Serendipity.

Dont know if serendipity can be mounted on slide as its integral mount is for frame mounted set up. Also the micro dots have problems in reliability and quality in dots that are still to be sorted out that its expensive prices are hard to justify. But if not to be used in high volume shooting it might be a choice. Otherwise it might be better to shoot it w/ iron sights to save you from lots of frustrations.

If I had known about the trick to make the DeltaPoint dot brighter for indoor matches, I might have stayed with the DP:-) I ended up switching to a frame mounted Aimpoint Micro R1. The $600 price tag for another Aimpoint Micro is the only thing preventing me from mounting one my 1911 slide.

I never had the good luck in micro red dots on competition pistols including aimpoints'. Had 2 R1's that never lasted past 3k rounds of 9major. Actually the second lasted only for less than 500 iirc. I gave up on my 3rd (warranty replacement) so it went to my hunting shotgun and stayed there for good.

Vortex , DP, or J Point,

we had good luck with Burris FFlll for a long time, here lately seems they have taken a turn for the worse.

warranty is no problem, but having no dot at a match IS.

I switched to a JP on my Glock because the mounting holes are the same, also sits lower than the FF lll.

If Leopold ever gets their act together on the Delta point, that would be my first choice .

I never had the good luck in micro red dots on competition pistols including aimpoints'. Had 2 R1's that never lasted past 3k rounds of 9major. Actually the second lasted only for less than 500 iirc. I gave up on my 3rd (warranty replacement) so it went to my hunting shotgun and stayed there for good.

No problems yet with the Aimpoint Micro R1 that is frame mounted on my STI 2011. But I'm only around the 1000 round count. I read that it was the on/off/brightness switch that was failing on the Aimpoint Micros, so I always leave the Aimpoint "on" and minimize on adjusting the brightness.

Aimpoint Micro is the champion dot for Bullseye and I haven't read about failures in that application, but they are shooting light target loads.

Dont know if serendipity can be mounted on slide as its integral mount is for frame mounted set up. Also the micro dots have problems in reliability and quality in dots that are still to be sorted out that its expensive prices are hard to justify. But if not to be used in high volume shooting it might be a choice. Otherwise it might be better to shoot it w/ iron sights to save you from lots of frustrations.

A serendipity can be modified to be slide mounted or mounted to an aftermarket frame mount by cutting off the plastic mount 'legs' and drilling the 2 holes through the body. it's not super hard but the better way is just to start with a slide ride/railway if buying one new. :)

A serendipity can be modified to be slide mounted or mounted to an aftermarket frame mount by cutting off the plastic mount 'legs' and drilling the 2 holes through the body. it's not super hard but the better way is just to start with a slide ride/railway if buying one new. :)

Yea I know that I already made one myself but he did not say doing any mods.