Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Navy SEAL Foundation Trident 3 Gun Challenge at ACADEMI- Moyock VA

how physical will this match be compared to the Blue Ridge Mountain 3 gun?

It will be different from BRM3G, but still challenging. Rock Castle has natural terrain that just isn't available at Academi. Academi has shoot houses and urban facades that aren't available at Rock Castle.

We'll look for ways to challenge folks- ladders, stairs, sled drags, rucks, maybe some sposor provided body armor on a stage, etc... More military stress course style stuff. There will be a physical aspect to the match, but not the total mileage and hill hikes of BRM3G.

Edited by Mberry

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update. Any word on applications?

No update, Jim.

I know it's not fun waiting for a registration to open. We want it to be smooth and inclusive, it's taking some effort to get it right the first time.

Mberry----

RE Trident 3 gun match--

since I was never in the military what does more military stress course style stuff refer to- can you provide more detail please.

Mberry----

RE Trident 3 gun match--

since I was never in the military what does more military stress course style stuff refer to- can you provide more detail please.

Talked in a PM to answer this one, but to anyone else that may be apprehensive about the physical aspect of the match:

It is not our intent to make this match so physically demanding that it excludes anyone. If there are portions that you cannot complete, there will likely be a penalty comparable to what it would take someone to complete that portion assigned. For example, you need to drag a dummy from a vehicle to a safe zone and you can't physically do it- it takes an in shape person 10 seconds and an out of shape person 20 seconds, the penalty would probably be 30 seconds to account for the time it takes to do the event and the exhaustion factor added in. You may not win, but you'll still be able to shoot and have fun.

Charles will be the match director. He will make the ruling on this stuff, but it's certainly something we've considered.

I have shot at Blackwater/Acadami/Z/whatever they call themselves many times over the last 15 years or so and all I can say is the facility must be seen to be believed. I'm definately in for this one. This is not a range as most of us think of one. This is a world class training facility and if the match organizers are able to use half of what is avalible this match will be epic.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to keep this somewhere in the top 25.

Is there any word yet on this match? A number of us are keeping dates open and passing on other sure bets to hold the place in our schedules.

If it is still good to go, then great, We can wait to mail in money, if on the other hand it is starting to look like it is not happening, please let us know. There are only so many days off and there are SO MANY matches!

Thank you

Jim- I certainly understand, and appreciate you keeping the dates open.

I know they were targeting the beginning of May to open up registration. If all goes according to plan, something should be online within the next couple of weeks.

Everything is looking good for the match and there have been no setbacks to my knowledge. All lights are still green, it's just a matter of making registration smooth, inclusive, and painless!

the only major 3 gun match i've done is fnh at peacemaker, and the registration couldn't have gone any smoother this year, maybe cheat off of them (and/or bribe Linda).

I'm not sure who is running this match, but the Tidewater 3-gun crew moved down to work with Tarheel 3-gun after they had to stop shooting matches at Academi.

The Tarheel crew did a great job, both with registration (online only, filled up fast) and the match itself.

I'm looking forward to this one, since I only live an hour away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

May has almost come and gone and I haven't seen any updates on this. If it's a go I dont mind waiting but if it's falling through I want to try to get into something else. Anyone have any updates?

What's the deal with this match? On/off? I'm close to just writing it off.

It would be nice to get an update so we can plan our schedules.

I'll see Charles this weekend and provide an update ASAP.

FWIW, with it being 4 months away, don't understand why you would want to "just write if off". If there's another match that weekend you want to go to, then just go to that one. Charles is managing a lot of matches and if he says it's on, then I would say it's on. I'm sure he's working on it and it's on his radar... Shoot him an email...he's pretty good about replying.

I'm not sure who is running this match, but the Tidewater 3-gun crew moved down to work with Tarheel 3-gun after they had to stop shooting matches at Academi.

The Tarheel crew did a great job, both with registration (online only, filled up fast) and the match itself.

I'm looking forward to this one, since I only live an hour away.

This is news to me :goof:

We would be more than happy to assist Tarheel but at this point nobody has asked us to.

Neal Smith

Match Director Tidewater 3 Gun

Are ya'll still doing matches at Academi?

No they haven't done any monthly 3 gun matches @ Academi since 2013, I think there might have been one with the shoot house shootout IDPA match in May of 2014 but that was because it was scheduled before the new management took over. There also hasn't been any monthly USPSA since 2013.

Edited by Fordfan485

May has almost come and gone and I haven't seen any updates on this. If it's a go I dont mind waiting but if it's falling through I want to try to get into something else. Anyone have any updates?

What's the deal with this match? On/off? I'm close to just writing it off.

It would be nice to get an update so we can plan our schedules.

I'll see Charles this weekend and provide an update ASAP.

Whats the word from Charles?

For those curious as to why some are concerned about the match...

I'm pretty sure most of us that have been running around to these matches for a little while have gotten fired up for some great new match and made plans to attend and forego other stuff only to end up at a boon-doggle of a match not worth the time or $ invested on the shooters part.

That is not Charles's style, but it seems that oftentimes, these types of venues start changing stuff as dates get closer and make it much more challenging on MD's and their crews, etc.