Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Navy SEAL Foundation Trident 3 Gun Challenge at ACADEMI- Moyock VA

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Charles is on the road towards this weekends regional, so I'll chime in a bit. I've been working with Charles and the Navy SEAL Foundation to get this match together for quite some time now. You can safely put this match on your calender, it's going to happen. Academi has some unique requirements that Charles is working through to make the sign up process smooth and all-inclusive so they aren't chasing people down for information and waivers. Sign up may not happen for a few more weeks, but it will happen!

The details are being finalized, and everything is on track for a great match. With the combined efforts of the Navy SEAL Foundation, Charles Sole and Academi, this match (and prize table) is going to be absolutely top notch. The facility is phenomenal, the cause is honorable, and the folks putting this all together are investing a lot of time and energy in to making sure this is an event people will not want to miss.

As for stages, expect some things outside the normal drag race. There will be a physical aspect to the match, but it will be doable by all. Bad knees, bad backs should still sign up (just bring some Motrin). Academi has some great shoot houses, cool props, and the opportunity to shoot long ranges on more than one stage. It's going to be fun, and challenging, for all. Rifle slings will be needed.

It's also worth noting that Charles and Academi are donating their time and services for this match. 100% of the proceeds will go to the Navy SEAL Foundation. That's a huge donation, and very much appreciated.

Edited by Mberry

This is like totally awesome. The shoot houses alone are enough, but the cause, the venue, the organizers. Perfect timing. I'm in. Can I share my bunk with Lucy V.?

Thanks! Not sure who Lucy V is, but you're on your own there... While we aim to please, there is a limit :cheers:

I know Charles is on the road towards this weekends regional, so I'll chime in a bit. I've been working with Charles and the Navy SEAL Foundation to get this match together for quite some time now. You can safely put this match on your calender, it's going to happen. Academi has some unique requirements that Charles is working through to make the sign up process smooth and all-inclusive so they aren't chasing people down for information and waivers. Sign up may not happen for a few more weeks, but it will happen!

The details are being finalized, and everything is on track for a great match. With the combined efforts of the Navy SEAL Foundation, Charles Sole and Academi, this match (and prize table) is going to be absolutely top notch. The facility is phenomenal, the cause is honorable, and the folks putting this all together are investing a lot of time and energy in to making sure this is an event people will not want to miss.

As for stages, expect some things outside the normal drag race. There will be a physical aspect to the match, but it will be doable by all. Bad knees, bad backs should still sign up (just bring some Motrin). Academi has some great shoot houses, cool props, and the opportunity to shoot long ranges on more than one stage. It's going to be fun, and challenging, for all. Rifle slings will be needed.

It's also worth noting that Charles and Academi are donating their time and services for this match. 100% of the proceeds will go to the Navy SEAL Foundation. That's a huge donation, and very much appreciated.

The match sounds great and the videos from the other matches have me salivating. I'm just waiting for registration to open up. :)

This is like totally awesome. The shoot houses alone are enough, but the cause, the venue, the organizers. Perfect timing. I'm in. Can I share my bunk with Lucy V.?

Thanks! Not sure who Lucy V is, but you're on your own there... While we aim to please, there is a limit :cheers:

I'll take that as a yes.

Before I register, I would like to know if the venue, Acadami, has any unusual requirements vis a vis access and firearms for the competitors.

Specifically, are things like background checks, mandatory checking of guns into an armory, no guns in on-site housing, stop on entry, stop on exit, things like that.

In other words, are matches here conducted just like matches like SMM3G and RM3G or similar: Show up and shoot big boy rules. :goof:

The reason for the question is I recall reading the old Blackwater website along time ago, and remember some of these things being mentioned.

ericm

It's Academi. I think they just check outstanding warrants. :mellow: No idea what big boy rules are. Hell, you're the guy that makes big boy rules. Been sold a couple times since Blackwater. But I don't live there. Somebody will come along and give you more info. They have had lots of 3 gun matches there.

This sounds like a cool match and its for a good cause but I feel very conflicted about this. ACADEMI shut down the USPSA club , 3gun club and the IDPA sanctioned match last year because they "couldn't work with the clubs in the current enviroment anymore." If they dont support shooting sports why should we support ACADEMI now?

Edited by Fordfan485

This sounds like a cool match and its for a good cause but I feel very conflicted about this. ACADEMI shut down the USPSA club , 3gun club and the IDPA sanctioned match last year because they "couldn't work with the clubs in the current enviroment anymore." If they dont support shooting sports why should we support ACADEMI now?

Maybe the clubs didn't like to play by the rules that would have enabled them to remain? Not saying that this is the case, but we only have a bit of hear-say. A place like this is going to require a level of professionalism that may not be normal to the running of a club match. just saying.

it's too bad that they shut down the clubs...but they're running a business and they did what they had to. they'll have to live with those decisions and any repercussions it may cause.

that being said...this event supports an amazing foundation that we all should care about very much! Academi is donating time & facility to this event and 100% of the proceeds are going to the foundation.

with all that in mind...if you're not shooting BM, get your ass out to support the Navy Seal Foundation!!!!!

Edited by jriggs

Before I register, I would like to know if the venue, Acadami, has any unusual requirements vis a vis access and firearms for the competitors.

Specifically, are things like background checks, mandatory checking of guns into an armory, no guns in on-site housing, stop on entry, stop on exit, things like that.

In other words, are matches here conducted just like matches like SMM3G and RM3G or similar: Show up and shoot big boy rules. :goof:

The reason for the question is I recall reading the old Blackwater website along time ago, and remember some of these things being mentioned.

ericm

Good questions, thanks! I checked with Academi and guns are fine in the lodge, they just have to be unloaded. No requirement to lock up personally owned firearms in the armory. Quiet hours in the lodge start at 2300. If you want to be loud and party, there may be a place on site for that, but it won't be in the lodge where others are trying to rest. There are plenty of other hotels nearby that you'll be able get a match rate on, you don't have to stay at the lodge. Ranges also have to be cold before the beer lamp is lit.

EVERY PERSON THAT ENTERS ACADEMI MUST BE ON THE ACCESS LIST, TO INCLUDE SPECTATORS, MINORS AND VENDORS!!!! You do have to stop on entry and be checked against the access list, there will be extra staff on hand to make this process as efficient as possible. That is one reason that sign up hasn't gone live yet, Charles and crew are trying to make the process smooth so you don't have to submit multiple forms. The check they do is not very intrusive. If you can legally own a firearm, you're good to go. If you can't legally own a firearm, you are not allowed on the site. Pretty simple.

Will this match be open to everyone? I saw something somewhere that seemed to indicate that it was an invite only. My 17 year old son is dying to shoot in this.

Absolutely open to all! Academi has a minimum age requirement of 12 for SHOOTERS. Spectators of all ages are welcome, provided they are on the access list and have eye & ear protection.

I'm not sure how hosting a major 3-Gun match (and donating all the ranges used for free) can be perceived as not supporting the shooting sports? I miss the monthly matches at Academi too, you aren't alone there. Those matches got me, and many others, started in this sport. Academi made a business decision based on the metrics they had in front of them, it wasn't personal. I'd love to see the monthly matches come back, and hopefully this event triggers some discussion that leads to more matches being held at Academi. Instead of looking at it negatively, look at this as a chance to shoot at Academi again. While you're there, feel free to take the opportunity to tell the staff how much you enjoyed this match, and let them know you'd love to see those monthly matches come back.

Sponsors are signing up, this is going to be a good shooting match and the prize table will rival the best out there... There are companies supporting this event that have not dipped their toes in to the 3-Gun pool before... More to follow as the details solidify.

If you know of any companies that may want to contribute or get on board as match sponsors, please PM me with contact info and I'll make sure they are sent a sponsorship packet. The Navy SEAL Foundation is a nationally recognized 501©3 charity with the highest charity navigator rating possible for several years running. Sponsorship of this match qualifies as a tax-deductible donation. You can read more about the Navy SEAL Foundation here: http://www.navysealfoundation.org/

Information on the match and registration will be posted on the Tarheel 3Gun page just as soon as everything is smooth: http://tarheel3gun.com/

Thanks!!!

Edited by Mberry

Both On-Site Lodging AND On-Site RV with hook-ups!

Decisions. Do I drive or do I drive?

I say I can't wait for sign-ups to open, but really, that is not possible, I have to wait, but I do so impatiently.

Maybe it is the snow and ice and cold and wet.

it's the cold Jim...I'm not even 40 miles north of you and after all the ice and rain today....I'm with you and need to get outta here!

the weather down in Moyock in October is always great! i'll see you down there cause I'm not missing this one!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...