Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Navy SEAL Foundation Trident 3 Gun Challenge at ACADEMI- Moyock VA

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Newport News...I'm staying at my house. :roflol:

And if you stay anywhere south of the James River (Norfolk/VA Beach/Chesapeake) there shouldn't be any traffic issues on Saturday or Sunday morning. Even coming from north of the river (Hampton/Newport News), the only major potential bottlenecks are the tunnels, and that early on weekend mornings, in October, are usually only an issue if there's an accident or other problem.

Edited by Langenator

• 2 weeks later...

I just signed up for the match, super excited. But where is the info. Round count, stages, lube, no lube? Anything! Tarheels 404 not found, is super helpful.

I wouldn't expect any round counts or stage descriptions until much closer to the match. I'll let Charles know about the dead link.

I talked to Charles recently about adding a couple of unique divisions that will be friendly towards folks using issued equipment. I'll wait for Charles to iron out the details before saying too much, but I am fairly confident that body armor will be required to compete in those divisions.

A few things I believe you'll see in this match...

1. A focus on accuracy beyond the normal 3GN rules.

2. Slings on rifles and transitions required.

3. Blind stage(s)

4. More emphasis on pistol and rifle than shotgun.

5. Physical challenges... These will be avoidable to those who aren't comfortable doing them, but with penalty.

6. Some cool props and unique shooting positions that are challenging, but fun.

There is opportunity to shoot long distance at Academi. Longest distance won't be known until the stages are set, but I'd be ready to shoot 400yds.

Don't sweat the details too much. Charles always gets the word out in time. This will be a fun match that has a slightly different flavor than the normal drag races. We all know Charles, his staff, and the Academi staff will make it fun and challenging for everyone.

All my comments are just educated guesses... Nothing binding, I'm not the Match Director!

A few things I believe you'll see in this match...

1. A focus on accuracy beyond the normal 3GN rules.

2. Slings on rifles and transitions required.

3. Blind stage(s)

4. More emphasis on pistol and rifle than shotgun.

I've been to/helped out with the OK state swat 3-gun match a couple times and all these bullet points fit that match perfectly. Unfortunately they are also 4 things that make me not excited about shooting this match suddenly. Most of us competitive shooters aren't MIL/LEO anymore and don't use it as a training tool. Personally I wanna shoot fast cool stuff and not get stuck on the range until dusk to do so.

5. Physical challenges... These will be avoidable to those who aren't comfortable doing them, but with penalty.

6. Some cool props and unique shooting positions that are challenging, but fun.

These bullet points are why I'm excited to shoot at this facility and attend this match.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Blind stages in competitive context seem like a really bad idea to me. The physical stuff I'm divided on, because if you ask me to.. I dunno .. rappel down a wall .. that is not a skill most of us practice. I'm pretty sure this was meant to be a match benefiting the SEALs, not recruiting for them :)

Edited by Vlad

The S.O.F. matches were all surprise and blind stages. It really separated the walk through kings from those who could react and scan. It was also a better test of field accuracy as one couldn't "dial up, or down" before the start of a stage. It is funny to me that the real good shooters tended to gravitate to the top anyway, and it was a BLAST!!! So in a competitive context I think it is a good thing we are bringing some of thinking back to the 3-gun arena!

As for the physical challenges....meh....I came to shoot not drag dummy,s, or rappel, or the myriad of other stuff that seems to get thrown in, but if it is part of a stage, AND DOES NOT overshadow the shooting part....I.E. the running time far out weighs the shooting time. it is ok.

As for the physical challenges....meh....I came to shoot not drag dummy,s, or rappel, or the myriad of other stuff that seems to get thrown in, but if it is part of a stage, AND DOES NOT overshadow the shooting part....I.E. the running time far out weighs the shooting time. it is ok.

Well said.

All noted.

Charles hit me up this morning and said he'd post updates soon.

He also said he's not a fan of blind stages either, so I doubt very seriously we'll be seeing those. My bad!

I'm signed up for the match and I'll shoot no matter what it is cause burning powder is better then mowing the lawn any day of the week, and I'll deal with blind stages, I just don't want it to become a crossfit event :)

The big issue with blind stages is keeping them blind. You need enough staff that is not shooting the match to enable you to reset the satge without the competitors and you need honest competitors that won't tell others what to expect. Even then if you can hear the shot cadence you can start to build an image of the stage.

Physical challenges are OK within reason. Crawl? OK, Run a bit? OK, Drag a Dummy? OK, Climb over a barricade? Maybe. Run up stairs? OK, Run DOWN Stairs? Not a good idea. Rappelling? Not a good idea. Many of us have, many of us have never and that shouldn't be something you have to learn on the clock!

It is all a question of balance.

Please help! I've signed up for the match and I need an estimate for what time things will wrap up on Sunday so I can book my flight out. My work needs to know if I will be there on Monday and flights aren't getting any cheaper. I've emailed and Facebook posted and still haven't heard anything

Truegent2004, I'd book as late as possible Sunday night if you want to partake in the prize table. Or just plan on flying out Monday. I'm going to guess that there will be AM and PM sessions Sat. and Sun. If you're not interested in prize table and prefer to fly home Sunday at a reasonable hour, perhaps the MD can accommodate your request and put you on a squad so that you shoot PM Sat. and AM Sun. If you have a buddy attending, you could also ask permission for your buddy to pick your prize for you, if you're not going to be around.

If you require more precision information, you're going to have to wait for the MD to reply.

• 2 weeks later...
Remington Defense SEAL Tri-Gun Challenge Hosted at Academi Benefiting the Navy SEAL FoundationCharles Sole 0 Comments Match News 22.June 2015

Tarheel3gun Consultants is proud to Announce a 3 Gun Event that supports our countries warriors:

RemDefense-2013-3D.jpg

The Remington Defense SEAL Tri-Gun Challenge Hosted at Academi Benefiting the Navy SEAL Foundation

NSF-Logo-300x221.jpg

When: Oct 17-18 , 2015

Where: ACADEMI (Moyock), Moyock, NC

Match Fee: $225.00 (Proceeds from this event will be donated directly to the Navy SEAL Foundation)

Sponsorship Packet: CLICK HERE: NSF Sponsor packet

red-register-button-300x109.jpg

REGISTRATION OPEN

ACADEMI-Symbol_Name-2-4-12-1-300x72.jpg

ACADEMI is an elite provider of security training and logistics support worldwide. We believe that the right combination of training and support will enable security forces across the globe to create and maintain safe environments for their nations to thrive in. As a result, we are committed to sharing best practices through cutting-edge training, complex program management, and logistics support. Our 7,000-acre flagship training facility, located in Moyock, NC, is the largest private training center in the United States. The facility houses 50 tactical ranges, five ballistic houses, multiple MOUT/scenario facilities, four ship-boarding simulators, two airfields and three dozen drop-zones, a three-mile tactical driving track, 20 classrooms, and multiple explosive training ranges. Additionally, a private training center, accommodations for over 300 personnel, and other training support activity centers are located on property. For more details please visitwww.academi.com.

There is lodging on site at Academi, however here is another option

Contact at ACADEMI for on site lodging:

Jenny Geery

252-435-1713

jennifer.geery@constellis.com

OR

SEAL TRI-Gun Challenge Hotel Link

Start date: 10/16/15
End date: 10/19/15
Last day to book: 10/1/15

Marriott hotel(s) offering your special group rate:

• SpringHill Suites Chesapeake Greenbrier for 83 USD per night